The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Parliamentary Sovereignty and the Omnipotence Paradox.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 11:05:03
Parliamentary Sovereignty - the idea that a legislative body is supreme within a state.
Omnipotence - the idea that a being is all powerful.

Problems:
Parliamentary legislation can be overturned by courts or, in some cases, is subject to a nother higher calling.
An omnipotent being should be able to control everything. The concept of evil destroys the beings, usually, benign appearance since an omnipotent being should be able to stop it from happening and should answer prayers for safety etc. Free will can also debunk this theory.

The problems with these two concepts are similar. They both get contradicted in real life.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#2New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 11:12:35
Sorry what are you trying to say?
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 11:22:12
Yes, what are you trying to say?

Um, I didn't know courts had the power to turn over legislation. Isn't it just that they can choose to interpret it in another way? For example, I think that the EU can't overturn our laws, but they can say that they are unfair and make their own judgements or something like that.
innit!

#4New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 11:28:47
@hedkandi1984_21 Said
Yes, what are you trying to say?

Um, I didn't know courts had the power to turn over legislation. Isn't it just that they can choose to interpret it in another way? For example, I think that the EU can't overturn our laws, but they can say that they are unfair and make their own judgements or something like that.

Umm... i read somewhere that to over turn a legislation you must go to EU with your case. For instance overturning council tax law because it breaches human rights. Local court doesnt have the power as far a i am aware.
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 11:39:11
@markfox01 Said
Umm... i read somewhere that to over turn a legislation you must go to EU with your case. For instance overturning council tax law because it breaches human rights. Local court doesnt have the power as far a i am aware.

yeah, i think that's right. do you think anyone would have a chance at overturning council tax law?! i don't pay cos i'm a student but i bet my sister would love to give it a go. lol.
innit!

#6New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 11:46:25
Using the council law as a example. No. it will cost millions to overtern a legislation like that. First i think it must go through parliment, then you must launch an appeal through british courts to go to the EU. its timely and costly.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#7New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 12:09:00
why is it assumed god is omnipitent?
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 12:37:59
The Eu can force us to change our laws in practise through Desicions which are binding. In theory Parliament could overturn the desicion by pulling out of the EU. The point was that Parliamentary and the omnipotemce theory are very complicated so you can't simply state that God is all-powerful, you have to back it up.

Local courts in the UK can deem an Act of Parliament unconstitutional and that's complicated too because we have no written constitution only a selection of written law, common kaw and custom. In some cases, it can be taken to the EU but only where it is relevent to the EU in some way (eg human rights).
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 12:39:25
I'm also just procrastinating. I have a law essay due on Friday and I'm having a hard time concentrating on it, so I'm trying to find ways to procrastinate briefly before getting another paragraph or two done.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs