Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
roBingoodfElLOW On January 06, 2010
Baldylocks

Deleted

Over yonder, Tajikistan
#1New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 21:35:47
Watching a program at the moment about obese kids in Britain. I can't beleive some of the parents! They say 'oh we can't stop her sneaking snacks' why have them in the house in the first place?
There is a woman who cooks with excesive fats and salt with two fat kids and she's moaning that people blame her for them being over weight. Who else is it Ffs.

The seven kids they are featuring come from what seem like intelligent families who have no exuses in this day and age.
MlissaBeth On February 13, 2013
Wait for it!

Tucson, Arizona
#2New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 21:43:07
Parents have a habit of making excuses for the way their children turn out... "Oh, it's just a little baby fat; Oh I just can't get them from out of in front of the TV;"

You're right Robin, there really aren't any legitimate excuses for children being obese.

Take away their tv, make them go outside, stop shoveling s*** down their throat because it's the easier thing to do.
MartianLeader On February 20, 2015
PazuzuPossessed

Exorcist Drive,
#3New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 21:45:39
Ahem!

Arnie Cunningham: Has it ever occurred to you that part of being a parent is tryin' to kill your kids?

sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 21:46:45
I can't watch those programmes they nearly make me cry.

I don't understand why parents would allow their children to become so unhealthy, though it's probably a matter of killing with kindness rather and anything malicious. Still you'd think once a child reaches a certain point where they start becoming unhealthy then as a parent you'd want to improve their lifestyle for their own good.
Baldylocks

Deleted

Over yonder, Tajikistan
#5New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 21:49:55
I think once they get to the stage of being obese, it's harder to break the habbits, harder to take the food away.

@sister_of_mercy Said

I can't watch those programmes they nearly make me cry.

I don't understand why parents would allow their children to become so unhealthy, though it's probably a matter of killing with kindness rather and anything malicious. Still you'd think once a child reaches a certain point where they start becoming unhealthy then as a parent you'd want to improve their lifestyle for their own good.
curiouskat On February 16, 2010

Deleted

Adelaide, Australia
#6New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 21:51:26
Frustrating as hell isnt it?

And then the stupid f**ks blame fastfood chains and advertising for making their kids fat!!

Oh give me a goddamned break! My kids are in the advertising trap (as they all are) and always want the next happy meal for the latest s*** toy.

Doesnt mean i have to give in every time and let them eat the s*** all their lives til they die of a heart attack!

This worlds gone mad, noone takes responsibility for their own actions anymore
Baldylocks

Deleted

Over yonder, Tajikistan
#7New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 21:51:36
@MlissaBeth Said

Parents have a habit of making excuses for the way their children turn out... "Oh, it's just a little baby fat; Oh I just can't get them from out of in front of the TV;"

You're right Robin, there really aren't any legitimate excuses for children being obese.

Take away their tv, make them go outside, stop shoveling s*** down their throat because it's the easier thing to do.

I really don't want to get all judgmental on the issue, but it is something that truely baffles me. In many cases it is shear laziness.
Baldylocks

Deleted

Over yonder, Tajikistan
#8New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 21:53:00
Its not just food tho, it's the computer generation.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 21:56:16
@roBingoodfElLOW Said

I think once they get to the stage of being obese, it's harder to break the habbits, harder to take the food away.

Yeah that's true, it must be heartbreaking having to make the child unhappy as well, especially if the child is unwilling to help themselves. I guess sometimes it's easier to just let them have what they want.

Deleted

Adelaide, Australia
#10New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 21:57:37
@roBingoodfElLOW Said

Its not just food tho, it's the computer generation.

Thats true enough i guess.

And im trying to see the other side of the debate...

Nope, still cant, its up to the parent to make responsible choices about how their child uses their spare time.

We live by example, everyone of us.

And who have our kids to learn from but us?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 22:01:36
I haven't watched the show in question, but I think possibly one of the big problems may be that healthy food is pricey. There is no avoiding it. Most obese kids are from working class area's where the parents are less likely to be able to afford healthier food.

I'm not saying it's an excuse as such, but it probably is part of it.

I wonder how viable it would be for the government to subsidise certain convenient healthy foods.
Baldylocks

Deleted

Over yonder, Tajikistan
#12New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 22:05:06
@sister_of_mercy Said

Yeah that's true, it must be heartbreaking having to make the child unhappy as well, especially if the child is unwilling to help themselves. I guess sometimes it's easier to just let them have what they want.

My wife's freind has a mate who's boy is about 3 months younger than josh. By the time was a year he was over 3 and a half stone. Josh was a year and 3 months and just under 2.
The midwife told her to give him less, but from birth she was giving him a bottle every time he cried, regardless of whether he was hungry or just upset. At 3 moths she was giving him mashed banana! He's pretty much gonna be programed as far as food goes now.
Baldylocks

Deleted

Over yonder, Tajikistan
#13New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 22:08:55
@jmo Said

I haven't watched the show in question, but I think possibly one of the big problems may be that healthy food is pricey. There is no avoiding it. Most obese kids are from working class area's where the parents are less likely to be able to afford healthier food.

I'm not saying it's an excuse as such, but it probably is part of it.

I wonder how viable it would be for the government to subsidise certain convenient healthy foods.

Do you have to eat health food to be healthy? Lack of funds is a common excuse, and a poor one at that. When I was little we were dirt poor, just meant my mum brought us less treats and snacks. We didn't have the healthiest food but my mum cookedproperly, home made meals too.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 22:12:21
@roBingoodfElLOW Said

Do you have to eat health food to be healthy? Lack of funds is a common excuse, and a poor one at that. When I was little we were dirt poor, just meant my mum brought us less treats and snacks. We didn't have the healthiest food but my mum cookedproperly, home made meals too.

I think times have changed, there is something bellow the regular class system, like an under class. I mean like I don't think a lot of mums cook proper food, they buy cheap convenience food which is chocked full of salts and other s***e like that.

I think it's possibly a change in attitude, but bearing in mind the amount of kids who's parents are up to their eyeballs on drugs buying food for a healthy diet for the kids isn't probably on their radar. Easy, cheap food to keep them happy is probably the idea.

Deleted

Adelaide, Australia
#15New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 22:16:39
It doesnt help that most families require 2 incomes for survival these days which leaves noone at home to cook healthy meals.

I know when im working fulltime, the last thing i want to do when i get in is stand in the kitchen for 2 hours

Our lifestyles are a much faster pace than when we were growing up.

Having said that, it only takes 10 minutes to whip up a salad, as opposed to 15 minutes sitting in the drive through
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs