Racism

Painful Artifacts At The American Indian Museum

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#1New Post! Aug 26, 2016 @ 07:22:10
Painful Artifacts At The American Indian Museum The Aug. 19 front-page article “Painful, but crucial, pieces of history” didn’t mention one of the most painful events in our nation’s history: What many people refer to as the Native American genocide began before slavery, continued long afterward and took many more lives than the Holocaust and 9/11. Many of the descendants of the Native American survivors continue to suffer the isolation, discrimination and poverty that befell their ancestors after being forced onto reservations.
Some of the only benign physical evidence associated with that tragedy — treaty documents between our government and Native American tribes — is on display in “Nation to Nation: Treaties Between the United States and American Indian Nations” at the National Museum of the American Indian. The elegant appearance of those documents belies the broken promises and abuse that generally followed their signing.
It is important that museums display and interpret evidence that may be disturbing, according to the founding director of the new National Museum of African American History and Culture, “to give people not just what they want but what they need. People need to understand who we are as Americans, and you can’t understand that if you don’t understand slavery and segregation.” And the tragic history of Native Americans.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#2New Post! Sep 21, 2016 @ 03:01:25
@Spinkiegirl Said

Painful Artifacts At The American Indian Museum The Aug. 19 front-page article “Painful, but crucial, pieces of history” didn’t mention one of the most painful events in our nation’s history: What many people refer to as the Native American genocide began before slavery, continued long afterward and took many more lives than the Holocaust and 9/11. Many of the descendants of the Native American survivors continue to suffer the isolation, discrimination and poverty that befell their ancestors after being forced onto reservations.
Some of the only benign physical evidence associated with that tragedy — treaty documents between our government and Native American tribes — is on display in “Nation to Nation: Treaties Between the United States and American Indian Nations” at the National Museum of the American Indian. The elegant appearance of those documents belies the broken promises and abuse that generally followed their signing.
It is important that museums display and interpret evidence that may be disturbing, according to the founding director of the new National Museum of African American History and Culture, “to give people not just what they want but what they need. People need to understand who we are as Americans, and you can’t understand that if you don’t understand slavery and segregation.” And the tragic history of Native Americans.

Did not open for me sis. Can you find another link? Thanks
Ghyda On February 11, 2020

Anaheim, California
#3New Post! Sep 21, 2016 @ 12:59:16
I think the North Americans had been killing each other long before the Europeans arrived. The Europeans did more or less the same thing in Europe. We should note that Europeans could write. They could record history. They could build museums. They had written law. With out the Europeans' culture, the North Americans would have know way to know that they have something to whine about. They would just continue killing each other without knowing that previous generations had done the same.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#4New Post! Sep 22, 2016 @ 04:18:36
@Ghyda Said

I think the North Americans had been killing each other long before the Europeans arrived. The Europeans did more or less the same thing in Europe. We should note that Europeans could write. They could record history. They could build museums. They had written law. With out the Europeans' culture, the North Americans would have know way to know that they have something to whine about. They would just continue killing each other without knowing that previous generations had done the same.

Stereotype much lately?

Anaheim, California
#5New Post! Sep 22, 2016 @ 05:02:01
Name calling does not change the facts. North American natives would have no memory of the past if Europeans had not arrived to preserve it for them. I think that the same happened in Africa. Many in North Africa had learned the Southwest Asian language, but south of the Sahara people mostly could not read and write.

In seventh grade I learned of an interesting exception. A King in Angola wrote to the King of Portugal about the way they promoted warfare among Angolan tribes. The warfare increased the number of POWs which became available for the slave trade.

I have not had my genes checked to know where my ancestors lived, but I suspect that they mostly came from West Africa. I have a lot of fun dressing in the bright colored clothes and dancing to the talking drums. Unfortunately none of us can understand the language that the drums speak. Anyone writing the history of West Africa must have written in Arabic, Portuguese, Spanish, French, or English.

Chicago, Illinois
#6New Post! Sep 22, 2016 @ 05:57:55
@shinobinoz Said

Did not open for me sis. Can you find another link? Thanks

Sorry about that Bro...I just tried it as well & it is longer there.

Chicago, Illinois
#7New Post! Sep 22, 2016 @ 06:08:32
@Ghyda Said

HUH? Are you serious?
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#8New Post! Sep 22, 2016 @ 09:11:37
@Ghyda Said

There were some first nations towns that were huge well governed .
These nations had their peoples histories and accomplishments recorded in written form , not stick figures on cave wall . Some of their accomplishment included irrigation systems that put see reads of Europe to same , dwellings and builds that were as well thought out and attention to details , defense and comfort as you will find today .

Maybe do a bit of research on some of the pre European population of North America , You might find see pretty interesting reading.

n/a, New Mexico
#9New Post! Sep 22, 2016 @ 09:25:36
@Ghyda Said

Name calling does not change the facts. North American natives would have no memory of the past if Europeans had not arrived to preserve it for them. I think that the same happened in Africa. Many in North Africa had learned the Southwest Asian language, but south of the Sahara people mostly could not read and write.

In seventh grade I learned of an interesting exception. A King in Angola wrote to the King of Portugal about the way they promoted warfare among Angolan tribes. The warfare increased the number of POWs which became available for the slave trade.

I have not had my genes checked to know where my ancestors lived, but I suspect that they mostly came from West Africa. I have a lot of fun dressing in the bright colored clothes and dancing to the talking drums. Unfortunately none of us can understand the language that the drums speak. Anyone writing the history of West Africa must have written in Arabic, Portuguese, Spanish, French, or English.

What did I miss? Who was name calling who ?
Oh my, you are so completely correct , it's uncanny.
Have you ever read some of those historical records recording the history and day to day living facts preserved for future generations . Try the Spaniards records of how helpful the natives were in the care and feeding of those wonderful dogs the Spaniards brought over with them .
Oh gosh there just hundreds of records preserving the effects and modernization of the lives of the native populations. I swear once you start reading , you just can't put it down. I have links to several of those records , but they are n my od PC . When the member that first sent them to me comes on , Maybe they will post a few for your reading enjoyment.

Anaheim, California
#10New Post! Sep 22, 2016 @ 13:19:44
@white_swan53 Said

What did I miss? Who was name calling who ?
Oh my, you are so completely correct , it's uncanny.
Have you ever read some of those historical records recording the history and day to day living facts preserved for future generations . Try the Spaniards records of how helpful the natives were in the care and feeding of those wonderful dogs the Spaniards brought over with them .
Oh gosh there just hundreds of records preserving the effects and modernization of the lives of the native populations. I swear once you start reading , you just can't put it down. I have links to several of those records , but they are n my od PC . When the member that first sent them to me comes on , Maybe they will post a few for your reading enjoyment.

I haven't read much; it has been mostly for school. It does sounds like an interesting subject to talk about. I live with schedules and deadlines, and I must go. When I return; maybe I can insult and other continent.

n/a, New Mexico
#11New Post! Sep 22, 2016 @ 14:34:53
@Ghyda Said

I haven't read much; it has been mostly for school. It does sounds like an interesting subject to talk about. I live with schedules and deadlines, and I must go. When I return; maybe I can insult and other continent.

dogs the Spaniards brought over with them
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#12New Post! Sep 22, 2016 @ 23:37:30
@Ghyda Said

We have a very long oral tradition & writings (pictographs) telling history going back eons.
"A new study claims to have validated a fourth Mayan codex that escaped the Spanish efforts to destroy all evidence of written language in the Americas. The purposeful destruction of the evidence happened very early in the colonization process, so within a few generations Indian writing was commonly thought not to exist because the colonists all “knew” that the primitive inhabitants of the Americas could not possibly have used written language."
Read more at https://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2016/09/22/another-mayan-codex-survived-recent-analysis-proves-grolier-codex-real-165845
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#13New Post! Sep 22, 2016 @ 23:40:21
@white_swan53 Said

There were some first nations towns that were huge well governed .
These nations had their peoples histories and accomplishments recorded in written form , not stick figures on cave wall . Some of their accomplishment included irrigation systems that put see reads of Europe to same , dwellings and builds that were as well thought out and attention to details , defense and comfort as you will find today .

Maybe do a bit of research on some of the pre European population of North America , You might find see pretty interesting reading.

Actually Cahokia was larger than any cities in europe at that time.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#14New Post! Sep 22, 2016 @ 23:43:16

Our dogs were pack animals & alerted us to danger. Spain used them as agents in their war crimes.

Anaheim, California
#15New Post! Sep 23, 2016 @ 01:07:49

I read Don Fray Bartolomé de Las Casas, or something like that, in seventh grade. At the time I wondered if he opposed the Spanish behavior for criminal or religious reasons. I also read about the Mayans' and the Aztecs' bloodthirsty behavior. I didn't read about a Mayan or Aztec equivalent to De las Casas. Maybe they had one.

The Europeans brought the law that finds this behavior abhorrent. Without the Europeans, the Aztecs and Mayans would not find anything wrong with ripping a heart from a chest and watching it beat its last on a bloody stone.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs