History

Pacifist Response to Hitler

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#1New Post! Dec 12, 2018 @ 16:41:56
Per the request of a TFS member, I’ve taken my question to her to a new thread, per her request.

I’m curious to the title.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 12, 2018 @ 17:00:17
OK... I'm onto it. Challenge accepted.

Might take a while to put what I want to say together (and when it's done, it may be a lengthy read), but watch this space.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Dec 12, 2018 @ 17:34:50
You know, this has the potential to be a great thread...I hope we can all keep it civil and discuss.
chaski On about 5 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#4New Post! Dec 12, 2018 @ 17:38:29
@Eaglebauer Said

You know, this has the potential to be a great thread...I hope we can all keep it civil and discuss.

Is there some new rule that everyone has to spoil my fun?
Stalker

#5New Post! Dec 12, 2018 @ 17:40:06

Short answer>>> I'm pretty sure that the Jews tried a pacifist response to the Nazis... things didn't end well for them.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Dec 12, 2018 @ 17:40:16
@chaski Said

Is there some new rule that everyone has to spoil my fun?

Yep.

Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#7New Post! Dec 12, 2018 @ 18:11:38
@Jennifer1984 Said

Might take a while to put what I want to say together (and when it's done, it may be a lengthy read), but watch this space.

Thanks, and no problem. Looking forward to it.

@Eaglebauer Said

Agreed. While opposing views will undoubtedly occur in a subject like this, I have no intention of this turning into a fight or getting personal. Feel free to ensure that.
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Dec 12, 2018 @ 20:37:55
@chaski Said

Short answer>>> I'm pretty sure that the Jews tried a pacifist response to the Nazis... things didn't end well for them.
Didn't they also try bargaining to oust Britain from Palestine?
Stalker

#9New Post! Dec 12, 2018 @ 20:39:34
@cole Said

Didn't they also try bargaining to oust Britain from Palestine?

Different time period.... but the Israeli homeland thing wasn't a pacifist movement.
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Dec 12, 2018 @ 20:44:10
@chaski Said

Different time period.... but the Israeli homeland thing wasn't a pacifist movement.

"However, in August 1940, Irgun member Avraham Stern formed Lehi, a breakaway group which favored armed struggle against the British to force them out of Palestine and immediately establish a Jewish state. Stern was unaware of the Nazis' intent to exterminate the Jews, and believed that Hitler wanted to make Germany judenrein through emigration. Stern proposed an alliance with Nazi Germany, offering the Germans help in conquering the Middle East and driving out the British in exchange for the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine, which would then take in European Jewry."

That's the bit I was thinking about
Stalker

#11New Post! Dec 12, 2018 @ 21:21:04
@cole Said

"However, in August 1940, Irgun member Avraham Stern formed Lehi, a breakaway group which favored armed struggle against the British to force them out of Palestine and immediately establish a Jewish state. Stern was unaware of the Nazis' intent to exterminate the Jews, and believed that Hitler wanted to make Germany judenrein through emigration. Stern proposed an alliance with Nazi Germany, offering the Germans help in conquering the Middle East and driving out the British in exchange for the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine, which would then take in European Jewry."

That's the bit I was thinking about

Avraham Stern's efforts were not representative of the vast vast majority of European Jews.

He wasn't so much pushing for a pacifist response to Hitler, but rather he was pushing for a non-pacifist alliance with Germany against the British.

Apparently he was an out of touch nitwit as he seems to have missed the various moves by the Germans (stating as early as 1939...or earlier) to isolate, incarcerate, and (by 1941) start killing Jews.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#12New Post! Dec 12, 2018 @ 21:25:33
First you had my attention, now you have my curiosity.
Stalker

#13New Post! Dec 12, 2018 @ 22:08:11
The movie Defiance (2008 film) presents a historical story that includes 1 type of pacifist response, 1 type of mostly pacifist response and 1 aggressive or violent response relative to the Nazis and their sympathizers.

1. Pacifist Response - Sit and pray. A group of the Jews remained in the getto and hope that god help them. That one didn't work so well.

2. Partially Pacifist Response - Leave but fight some. In the case of the movie (and real life events) a group of Jews basically went and hid in the forest for the duration of the War. It worked... sort of. However the Jews in question periodically fought back, usually long enough to remain at bay and not be captures. So they were pacifists as long as possible before fighting back. Of course that left the lion share of the fighting to get rid of the Nazis to everyone else.

3. Non-Pacifist response - Fight. Another group of the Jews made alliances with the Soviet Army and became fighting insurgents. This probably helped the war effort. I'm not so sure the Soviet aligned Jews ended up so well off at the end of the war.

So... we have a mixture of the fight or flight response, plus a little freeze in front of the head lights.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#14New Post! Dec 13, 2018 @ 00:27:45
@Jennifer1984 Said

OMG! If Jen says it may be lengthy ... Tito better get more storage!

mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#15New Post! Dec 13, 2018 @ 00:32:29
@chaski Said

2. Partially Pacifist Response - Leave but fight some. In the case of the movie (and real life events) a group of Jews basically went and hid in the forest for the duration of the War. It worked... sort of. However the Jews in question periodically fought back, usually long enough to remain at bay and not be captures. So they were pacifists as long as possible before fighting back. Of course that left the lion share of the fighting to get rid of the Nazis to everyone else.

Isn't there a new movie coming out about that?

Edit: I must have seen a commercial/ad for Defiance ... odd that it's about 10 years old and I'm just seeing a commercial (I think)
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs