Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 22:08:18
@ninozara Said

Don't the polls show the gap is closing? Waiting was really the right thing for him to do.

Yes, current polls suggesting Labour would actually have a parliamentary majority for the first time for over a year.

If he'd called it during the 'Brown Bounce' however, shortly after he was made party leader and Prime Minister he probably stood the best chance. Unfortunately voters are fickle and an economic crisis made people dislike him for some reason.

Labour are incredibly popular up here still, the SNP have been slipping steadily with Labour's popularity rising.

Tories are as hated as they always have been and the Lib Dems I suppose suffer from what they always have done, wishy washy policies, no real commitment to key issues, spread out popularity rather than it being focused and whilst they adopt good policies they adopt some down right stupid ones as well whilst trying to balance inherently Liberal policies (with Liberalism never popular in the UK, not post-war anyway) with popularist policies which quite often betray the supposed liberal nature of the party.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#17New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 22:54:15
Can someone explain this process to me? How is it that the ruling party gets to decide when to hold elections? What if they don't want to?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 22:54:54
@jonnythan Said

Can someone explain this process to me? How is it that the ruling party gets to decide when to hold elections? What if they don't want to?

They have to by a certain date, some time in June I think it is this year, when 'The Queen' automatically calls for one.
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 22:59:35
@jonnythan Said

An election must be held at least once every 5 years. Since 1997 Labour have usually held one every 4 years and pretty much always in May. Gordon Brown's held back because they've been trailing in the polls so he's kept almost the maximum amount of time between elections. To try to keep it fair he has to give at least a month's warning of the election date but people usually know anyway.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#20New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 23:06:03
That's so odd. What's the rationale behind having the ruling party choose a date instead of having it fixed?
marshallc On September 12, 2014

Crawley, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 23:09:41
When was this announced? I got my voting card a few weeks back and it say that elections are going to be held on 6th May. They are always on 6th May aren't they?

Voting Lib Dems because I havn't heard so much as a murmur from a Lib Dem in donkey's. Our MP has stepped down and the Labour runner expected to get the seat is one of the local radio d.j's. nice bloke as well.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#22New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 23:09:59
I agree, that is odd.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 23:10:40
@jonnythan Said

That's so odd. What's the rationale behind having the ruling party choose a date instead of having it fixed?

I have no idea. So much of our election system and the way the government runs aren't written down but are based on convention and tradition. It's kind of confusing and when I took that politics class in high school the teacher said "that's the way it is" and moved on.

If it's any consolation, the Scottish Parliamentaries have to be held every 4 years and there's a day written down as well which I can't remember off the top of my head but it's either at the begining of April or May, which makes way more sense to me. A month is nowhere near enough time to prepare for a surprise election. I mean can you imagine if Gordon Brown decided to surprise everyone by announcing a May 2009 election in April? Not one of the other parties would have been prepared to campaign giving Labour a huge advantage.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 23:11:34
@marshallc Said

When was this announced? I got my voting card a few weeks back and it say that elections are going to be held on 6th May. They are always on 6th May aren't they?

Voting Lib Dems because I havn't heard so much as a murmur from a Lib Dem in donkey's. Our MP has stepped down and the Labour runner expected to get the seat is one of the local radio d.j's. nice bloke as well.

Weird. I haven't got mine yet. But no, the elections can be held at any time of year as long as the government gives a months warning for the other parties to prepare.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#25New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 23:12:32
@marshallc Said

Yeah all my friends got their polling cards last week and it had the date of the election printed on them.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 23:16:16
It's hardly odd, just different to the US.
marshallc On September 12, 2014

Crawley, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 23:17:55
Interesting. So those in the council know before it is announced
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#28New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 23:18:39
@SparklyKatie Said

It's hardly odd, just different to the US.

It is different, but I think it is just odd no matter what. I'd think it were odd if I lived in the UK.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#29New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 23:20:58
@jonnythan Said

To keep us all on our toes?
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#30New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 23:21:24
What's the purpose of the date being variable like that? Is there some good reason for it?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs