Oxford University interview questions.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 22:15:55
These are some questions asked to potential students when they're interviewed.

Quote:
"The interviews are all about assessing academic ability and potential. The aim is to get candidates to use their knowledge and apply their minds to new problems while allowing them to shine. No special knowledge is required and there are no ?right? or ?wrong? answers."

What would you say to these? And yes they're all real examples of questions asked.

Does a snail have a consciousness?

How would you measure the weight of your own head?

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture. Discuss.

Tell me about a banana.

If I were a grapefruit, would I rather be seedless or non-seedless?

Golf is based on luck. Discuss.

How can reindeer tell the difference between spring and autumn?

What percentage of the world?s water is contained in a cow?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 22:18:40
The last one would throw me, reckon I could give fairly decent answers to the rest though.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#3New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 22:19:10
I'll ask my friend who went there if this is true. He's a riot, I'd love to hear his answers.
TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 23:16:57

It doesn't matter.

I wouldn't.

No it isn't. You can express thoughts, feelings and ideas through writing and people will understand. You may be able to express your thoughts, feelings and ideas about architecture through dance, but no one will have a clue what you are trying to tell them.

Tell me about a banana.

Bananas in general or a particular banana?

No, if you were a grapefruit you would be incapable of preference.

Over the short term golf is based on luck. Games can be affected but gusts of wind, animal interference, etc. but over the long term a more skilled golfer will achieve better results because the random events even out.

If it has been warm and is now getting cold it's autumn, if it's been cold and is now getting warmer it's spring.

In one cow or in all cows combined?

So................am I in?
chief_big On June 12, 2013

haggisville, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 23:25:15
@SparklyKatie Said

What would you say to these? And yes they're all real examples of questions asked.

Tell me about a banana.

No, a snail is ruled by chemical reactions/environmental stimuli and the need to develop the problem solving ability of a consciousness may have arouse but I doubt it developed.

Relax the muscles in your neck on scales or measure and calculate the BMI of you head using bone density and muscle mass

No, the history of music and it's origin are part of what makes that music what it is..... it is as much a part and influence on history as the people who listened to it

A source of energy nutrition, encased in a external shell.

You wouldn't have any preference, if a grapefruit had preference it would cease to be a grapefruit.

No more than anything in life we believe to require skill

Hormonal changes to outside stimuli, it doesn't so much recognize seasons so much as feel horny and look for a female during mating season or get hungry and look for food

Less than a hundredth of a percent
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#6New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 23:29:57
You can measure the weight of your head, by dunking it in a full bucket of water, and weighing the weight of the displaced water.
chief_big On June 12, 2013

haggisville, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 23:34:16
@Pete Said

You can measure the weight of your head, by dunking it in a full bucket of water, and weighing the weight of the displaced water.

no that's size or perimeter
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 23:34:24
@Pete Said

Surely that only works if your head is made entirely of water, or something of the same density. Skin, bone, cavities full of air, etc. will not weigh the same as the amount of water they displace.
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#9New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 23:39:57
@TheMightyOz Said

Surely that only works if your head is made entirely of water, or something of the same density. Skin, bone, cavities full of air, etc. will not weigh the same as the amount of water they displace.

https://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/how-much-does-a-human-head-weigh-and-how-do-you-measure-the-mass-and-density-of-a-human-head

https://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,,-24444,00.html

https://www.maybenow.com/How-do-i-measure-the-weight-of-my-head-Thanks.-q7279170
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 23:43:56
Pete is correct.
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Feb 12, 2011 @ 23:55:33
@Pete Said

https://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/how-much-does-a-human-head-weigh-and-how-do-you-measure-the-mass-and-density-of-a-human-head

https://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,,-24444,00.html

https://www.maybenow.com/How-do-i-measure-the-weight-of-my-head-Thanks.-q7279170

@SparklyKatie Said

Pete is correct.

All those links base it on an assumption/educated guess as to the density of the materials making up your head being similar to that of water, therefore the method is not accurate.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#12New Post! Feb 15, 2011 @ 06:49:43
This was my answer from an Oxford and Cambridge grad. Just thought I'd post from someone who went to those schools and might know.
First of all, these do seem likely to be questions that they would present to a potential candidate at the undergrad admissions review... but at which college I don't know. I do know that not all candidates are presented with such questions.
From what I can suspect, the person or persons circulating this was definitely NOT from Oxford or even Cambridge. The first problem is that both Oxford and Cambridge Universities (my lma matae) are unlike the universities in the USA and the rest of the world. Oxford Uni is a system of colleges. Oxfordians don't say we are from Oxford. We identify ourselves with the college we attend or attended.
There is a whole slew of things in which both Oxford and Cambridge differ from all other uni's around the world. We don't have "normal courses" atypical in "learning universities"
All universities in the world are classified as learning universities except Ox and Cam which are classified as "teaching universities" the only 2 on the planet. I know, it conjures up notions of being elitist... but thats not the point of my answer.
In short, odd or weird questions are asked not to elicit answers. The premise is to allow the candidate to reveal himself or herself though his or her ability to present the person's thinking, analytical and speaking abilities.
If the candidate dwells on trying to provide a "correct" answer to the "question" such as using the scientific approach or engage in elaborate acrobatics of "pragmatic reasoning", all it does is expose his or her "level" of maturation of thought process. This is taken in light of what potential that person may have during the time spent at the uni should he or she become matriculated to become a contributor to benefit civilization at large.
I know this is a rather weak attempt to present a definitive answer. However, if you are keen and want a well rounded answer....it would be much easier if we talk.
He sounds stuffy, but he's from California and a hoot!
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Feb 19, 2011 @ 00:32:50
@SparklyKatie Said

Tell me about a banana.

I'm still kicking myself for not applying to Oxbridge. I did think about it, but you had to get the UCAS forms in a lot earlier and I did mine at the last minute.

I would have loved answering those questions though, think I could give fairly adequate responses.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Feb 19, 2011 @ 00:43:26
@sister_of_mercy Said

I'm still kicking myself for not applying to Oxbridge. I did think about it, but you had to get the UCAS forms in a lot earlier and I did mine at the last minute.

I would have loved answering those questions though, think I could give fairly adequate responses.

Talking of difficulties applying to Oxford, they only let people from Scotland in if they have Advanced Highers, which you can only get after doing a higher then doing another year!

Pretty much every uni outside of Oxbridge lets people in based on Highers but those two decide you need an extra qualification just to get in.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Feb 19, 2011 @ 00:45:57
@jmo Said

Talking of difficulties applying to Oxford, they only let people from Scotland in if they have Advanced Highers, which you can only get after doing a higher then doing another year!

Pretty much every uni outside of Oxbridge lets people in based on Highers but those two decide you need an extra qualification just to get in.

How weird. Seems like they just wanted to make it difficult for those who would be paying a slightly lower tuition fee (I think, is that right?). But then they are rather elitist and difficult anyway.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs