Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#31New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 15:12:44
@christopher1292 Said
The problem with our economey is mainly the fault of the people of the U.S. Buying EVERYTHING they see, spending $60,000 on a car? Please!! People buy a tv with no money down for a year and no interst for 4 years. They pay the minimum for those four years then get hit with extremely high interest and puts them into debt. A tv is just an example. The same can be done with houses, cars, everything. With a mortgage, the bank will try to make you believe that you can pay $1,000 a month, "oh look, you make $15,000 a month!" Well, that's before taxes and food and water and gas and other expenses such as taxes. Truth be told, people can't afford to spend an additional $1,000 a month for 25 years. Face it, the problem with our economy is the fault 95% of the American people. I love this country, but some people *cough* liberals *cough* are limiting our potentials. That is all, thanks for reading.

Liberals limit a society's potential? That's rich.

Perhaps 'the American people' are partly to blame for their country's damaged economy if only for not being more prescient, but the financial institutions and businesses which sell people goods and give them loans are the ones who are really irresponsible. The problem is simply the attitude towards money and success which seems to be prevalent in the US: that money is success, the ultimate goal of any business endeavour. Maybe an overconfidence in free-market capitalism is also a factor; it's the reason for rising energy prices in our country.
raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#32New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 15:14:58
In business money is success. What else would be?
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#33New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 15:20:06
@raditz8526 Said
In business money is success. What else would be?

Oh, human happiness or something stupid like that. Yeah, right.

Deleted

, Minnesota
#34New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 15:26:21
@buffalobill90 Said
Oh, human happiness or something stupid like that. Yeah, right.

Happiness does pay the bills.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#35New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 15:33:49
@raditz8526 Said
Happiness does [not?] pay the bills.

But if business is aimed at making money above all other aims, then we must assume that the moral responsibility set before humanity is to accumulate wealth. Is that why we live? Isn't money just a means to an end, not an end in itself?

Businesses are essential in modern society, no one can argue about that. But they need to be regulated more efficiently or they end up getting carried away with the whole profit thing. In the UK, energy prices are rising because the main contenders for the energy-consumer market have basically teamed up to avoid a price war. They can raise prices steadily and in unison, so they all make an increasing amount of profit. Then they blame the rise on diminishing oil supplies, when really they're making about 3 million pounds a minute. The companies aren't there to make obscene profits, otherwise no one would be complaining; they are there to provide us with affordable energy, so we can live comfortably.

Deleted

, Minnesota
#36New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 15:38:41
@buffalobill90 Said
But if business is aimed at making money above all other aims, then we must assume that the moral responsibility set before humanity is to accumulate wealth. Is that why we live? Isn't money just a means to an end, not an end in itself?

Businesses are essential in modern society, no one can argue about that. But they need to be regulated more efficiently or they end up getting carried away with the whole profit thing. In the UK, energy prices are rising because the main contenders for the energy-consumer market have basically teamed up to avoid a price war. They can raise prices steadily and in unison, so they all make an increasing amount of profit. Then they blame the rise on diminishing oil supplies, when really they're making about 3 million pounds a minute. The companies aren't there to make obscene profits, otherwise no one would be complaining; they are there to provide us with affordable energy, so we can live comfortably.

What makes you think they are there to provide anyone with "affordable energy." The sole purpose of any business is to generate a profit for it's shareholders, nothing else.

If you want affordable energy, cut the taxes associated with it. In the UK you pay 300% tax on energy. How much do you complain about the government leeching people dry? They are much worse than any business.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#37New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 16:52:20
@raditz8526 Said
What makes you think they are there to provide anyone with "affordable energy." The sole purpose of any business is to generate a profit for it's shareholders, nothing else.

If you want affordable energy, cut the taxes associated with it. In the UK you pay 300% tax on energy. How much do you complain about the government leeching people dry? They are much worse than any business.

I'm sorry, but if a capitalist free market is not there as a way of providing affordable goods to the people, and acts in their interests, then it must be actively working against the people's interests. That may well be the reality, but it is morally wrong.

I didn't realise my government were taxing people so much for energy. Can I have the source for that statistic?
nothinsnew On September 15, 2009

Deleted

The Coast, Australia
#38New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 21:00:55
@raditz8526 Said
The sole purpose of any business is to generate a profit for it's shareholders, nothing else.

What planet do you live on?? The ONLY thing business is there for is to make a profit? So, not to provide quality goods and services for consumers?

What a world it would be if you were right!!

Deleted

, Minnesota
#39New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 21:07:17
@nothinsnew Said
What planet do you live on?? The ONLY thing business is there for is to make a profit? So, not to provide quality goods and services for consumers?

What a world it would be if you were right!!

I live on earth, and yes, their only obligation is to make as much money for their share holders. If they can do that with a low quality, cheap product, more power to them. No one is forcing anyone to purchase this product. If they can't make any money for their shareholders by doing this, they will either have to increase the quality, and price, or they will lose their investors. Kinda simple really.

BTW, if it were a requirement to offer "quality" products, Wal-Mart would be out of business.
nothinsnew On September 15, 2009

Deleted

The Coast, Australia
#40New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 21:14:35
I disagree. What you're saying is that business has no integrity whatsoever.

Deleted

, Minnesota
#41New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 21:29:31
@nothinsnew Said
I disagree. What you're saying is that business has no integrity whatsoever.

No, a company will provide the products it's customers demand. If that's cheap crap, that's what they will sell.
baux On July 25, 2008

Washington, District of Columb
#42New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 21:47:56
@iliterate_enginere Said
I think you mean spending money on IMPORTED products. Spending more on American things would help us. I think that one of the main reasons for our economy going down is companies moving out of the US to have cheaper labor and taxes.

That is pure capitalism at its finest. If you can make it else where for cheaper you are dumb not too.
baux On July 25, 2008

#43New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 21:52:45
@christopher1292 Said
Buy American!!! And, buy what you can AFFORD!!!

Thats crap, I am damn proud to be an AMERICAN but we suck in just about any commodity. Seriously, we are worthless when it comes to quality. This is where the left interfers as they lobby for labor laws and government interferance. The fact is, as long as we have UNIONS we will always produce inferior products.

Who really would buy a ford over a toyota.
baux On July 25, 2008

#44New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 21:59:49
@diomedes Said
I think this is partially the government and Bush's fault as well... I mean think about it, had the government not spent so much money on wasteful programs the economy would be better off and had Bush not invaded Iraq we wouldn't spend so much to upkeep the troops.

You could not be any more incorrect. This hole war thing you speak of, just as an fyi, it cost money and the money funnels through the beltway to god knows how many Government contractors.

Also, you were 7 years old when Bush was elected so that makes since blame it on him. In fact he was the only thing that kept it going this strong this long. Have you heard of a certain tax law called Section 179 expense???? It allows smalls businesses to right off up nearly the entire $ amount of large capital expenditures. This helps them retain profits and expand operations, hire more people, etc...... So in terms of this mythical decline in our economy that you speak of, you need to eliminate Bush from that conversation
baux On July 25, 2008

#45New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 22:06:41
@nothinsnew Said
Ok so the so-called liberals are the ones racking up household debt? Thats so obviously biased that I would have to agree that it really does negate your entire point.

However.... lets start at the start... How is it that these people that cant afford these things are allowed by law to get loans to buy these things? Because your government lets lending institutions give them the loans. There should be laws that stop predatory loans.

Also, I found out the other day ... your government never runs a budget surplus! Wtf? As a country you're always in debt! That means when things like the sub-prime thing happen its harder for you to limit the damage.

Plus you borrow billions off other countries so you can fight wars.

Honestly, I think it's irresponsible economics and you only have yourselves to blame for voting in reckless people like GWB.

Because of the above things you guys will no longer be the worlds greatest economy.

Blaming "liberals" wont help either.

https://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2007/s2236161.htm

These were not predatory loans, there are laws in place for those. This was greed by both the consumer and the banks. But I will note that "Fannie" and "Freddie" were creating a lot of this paper, in fact they not only created 40 year paper they also created governement backed 50 year mortgages. Exotic but not too smart.

And I do agree with you about your comment that this is not the Liberals fault here. Almost all are guilty and the rest are still suffering from reduced rates on CD's and deposits but money is still cheap.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs