Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#1New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 16:45:21
d*** Cheney getting a heart transplant at 71 has raised some indignation, which I can't wholeheartedly disagree with. It's a complicated question but it doesn't need to be.

The problem isn't the demand, it's the supply. I think taking your organs with you when to die only for them to rot or be incinerated when they could be used to save/vastly improve lives, is immoral--and I use a very limited definition of morality. It's worse than burning money for spite.
jthompson3125 On December 13, 2012

Westfield, Massachusetts
#2New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 18:33:09
I agree with you that passing on your organs when you pass so that someone may use them for the better of their health is such a kind act.

However there are some people who have certain beliefs or feelings about this that are very personal. I think this is due to lack of information about what these organs can actually do, but your body is your body and if you have any rights left when you die it should be what happens to your parts.

In relation to your main point about d*** Cheney, he is just the beneficiary of being a very wealthy ex-vice president. Men and woman of this stature in our society obviously get better benefits then the common man. Is it wrong? I believe so; I believe that at 71 I would pass up a heart for a younger person to survive. Although, the goal of modern medicine is to fight off death, and in saving Cheney's life (possibly) with this hearth transplant, medicine has succeeded.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 18:37:21
I personally think we should have an 'opt-out' system where people are automatically consenting to have their organs donated if they die unless they specifically opt out of it, rather than the opposite we currently have in the UK where we have to opt-in to have our organs donated after death.
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 18:58:13
@ThePainefulTruth Said

d*** Cheney getting a heart transplant at 71 has raised some indignation, which I can't wholeheartedly disagree with. It's a complicated question but it doesn't need to be.

The problem isn't the demand, it's the supply. I think taking your organs with you when to die only for them to rot or be incinerated when they could be used to save/vastly improve lives, is immoral--and I use a very limited definition of morality. It's worse than burning money for spite.

It's an interesting point, and frankly I don't care what happens to my body if or when I die. I won't know anything about it anyway.

However, to be honest I don't think I would want part of someone else's body inside mine, it just doesn't feel right.

It's not a JW thing, purely personal, I have known JWs who have had kidney transplants, liver transplants, even known of some having heart transplants and as long as it is done without using blood there is no reason why not. Most I have known have carried organ donor cards.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 19:11:23
It's completely irrational but I can't accept the whole organ donor thing for me. I think it's a wonderful thing for people to do but I'm just not comfortable with it myself. I think it's something that I will change my mind on as I get older though, at this age anything to do with death just feels too surreal.

I think an opt-out system would be good, or at least there should be more advertising about registering as donors.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#6New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 19:13:30
@sister_of_mercy Said

It's completely irrational but I can't accept the whole organ donor thing for me. I think it's a wonderful thing for people to do but I'm just not comfortable with it myself. I think it's something that I will change my mind on as I get older though, at this age anything to do with death just feels too surreal.

I think an opt-out system would be good, or at least there should be more advertising about registering as donors.

Do you have an idea why? Or does it just not feel right?

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 19:15:58
@chisa96 Said

Do you have an idea why? Or does it just not feel right?

It sounds ridiculous as I don't think I'll need them once I've gone, but I just like knowing that when I die I'll end up all in the same place and not scattered about in other people.

Obviously I can see the medical benefits and it's something people should do if they can, but at the moment I don't think I'd feel completely right agreeing to it.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#8New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 19:20:07
Ah, I see. That does make sense; it is weird to think about that way.

Banned

#9New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 20:39:47
@sister_of_mercy Said

It sounds ridiculous as I don't think I'll need them once I've gone, but I just like knowing that when I die I'll end up all in the same place and not scattered about in other people.

Obviously I can see the medical benefits and it's something people should do if they can, but at the moment I don't think I'd feel completely right agreeing to it.

No, lol, they'll end up spread around in other insects and bacteria, possibly some of the nutrients in plants as well.

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 20:41:11

Banned

#11New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:14:29

Have you got one like that on the other hand?
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#12New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 21:19:17
When I die I am giving my body to science. It will save my family the wasted expense of a burial or cremation.

I do have one stipulation: science has to use any remaining useful organs to help others and the remaining parts of my body to help prove evolution.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#13New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 22:46:32
@jthompson3125 Said

I agree with you that passing on your organs when you pass so that someone may use them for the better of their health is such a kind act.

However there are some people who have certain beliefs or feelings about this that are very personal. I think this is due to lack of information about what these organs can actually do, but your body is your body and if you have any rights left when you die it should be what happens to your parts.

I understand, but it's those irrational beliefs that are essentially killing people....young people. Put yourself in their shoes, dying because so many people are superstitious. It isn't even religious as far as I know. No religion preaches against it that I know of. In fact, I'm assuming many if not most support it, or would if it wouldn't make them loose customers, erm adherents.

Quote:
In relation to your main point about d*** Cheney, he is just the beneficiary of being a very wealthy ex-vice president. Men and woman of this stature in our society obviously get better benefits then the common man. Is it wrong? I believe so; I believe that at 71 I would pass up a heart for a younger person to survive. Although, the goal of modern medicine is to fight off death, and in saving Cheney's life (possibly) with this hearth transplant, medicine has succeeded.

Yeah, I'm still undecided about that end of it. I think the triage we have in place seems pretty good given the limited number of donors. We can't sell organs, except on the black market in which case you'd have to go to some hell hole to die . Cheney waited 20 months I think, but the question remains did he get it due to money or his status, in which case that would put him on my double-standard-is-the-only-sin-s***-list. If I were to be his age and in his condition, I hope to have the courage to decline it, with the caveat that I know the background of the recipient. I ain't offering to die to save some 20-to-lifer in prison, particularly with as few hearts/organs as there are out there.

@MadCornishBiker Said

It's an interesting point, and frankly I don't care what happens to my body if or when I die. I won't know anything about it anyway.

However, to be honest I don't think I would want part of someone else's body inside mine, it just doesn't feel right.

It's not a JW thing, purely personal, I have known JWs who have had kidney transplants, liver transplants, even known of some having heart transplants and as long as it is done without using blood there is no reason why not. Most I have known have carried organ donor cards.

How can they do it without using blood? The organ is going to have some blood in it.

@sister_of_mercy Said

Your parts will be scattered in any event, sooner or later. Besides, doesn't the possibility of an afterlife mean becoming one with the universe, if you believe anything at all. Imagine giving up an organ so that a younger person can live. Becoming an organ donor requires nothing but a signature. What is faith for? You couldn't give any less from you, or anything more to them.

I think MCB actually has a point here.

@chaski Said

When I die I am giving my body to science. It will save my family the wasted expense of a burial or cremation.

They still get stuff back, unless you direct them to throw it in the trash or something. Seriously, I don't know, they may cremate what's left for free.

Quote:
I do have one stipulation: science has to use any remaining useful organs to help others and the remaining parts of my body to help prove evolution.

What would a dancing blob pooping blood prove about evolution?

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 22:55:32
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Your parts will be scattered in any event, sooner or later. Besides, doesn't the possibility of an afterlife mean becoming one with the universe, if you believe anything at all. Imagine giving up an organ so that a younger person can live. Becoming an organ donor requires nothing but a signature. What is faith for? You couldn't give any less from you, or anything more to them.

I know, but I meant in the ground and not in anyone else. I'm not looking to be persuaded by anyone else,it's something I will be thinking about over time, particularly since it's my own body. I don't think anyone should be forced into decisions like that, it's up to the individual and their family ultimately.

As far as faith goes I don't have any in anything much and I'm happy with that.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#15New Post! Mar 29, 2012 @ 23:01:56
Every time a person makes a decision not to donate their organs, a handful of people die prematurely and needlessly as a result of that selfishness.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs