Politics

One-Term Limits for All

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#1New Post! Sep 20, 2018 @ 20:25:45
Let’s put a one-term limit on all members of Congress and the Presidency. Re-election politics run Washington, and it’s ruining our leadership, and as a result, our country.

For example:

1. Bribery in the form of re-election campaign spending now drives conviction.

2. Procedure in regards to Supreme Court nominations and hearings revolve around election dates and are the driving force behind decisions on their expediency and timing.

3. Not only has voting on legislation been based on re-electability, but even WHAT and WHEN to vote on legislation has been completely taken over by how it would look for candidates up for re-election. This is particularly true for the House of Representatives, where all candidates are up for re-election every two years. As a result, we have a “do-nothing” Congress and have for almost a generation now, save a few pieces of legislation.

A one-term limit will eradicate all this completely.

Granted, such regular turnover may cause mishmash of policy and chaos, so a fix to this effect would be to double term lengths - I say 4 years for House members, 12 years for Senate members, and 8 years for the President. Then that’s it. Move on to another office or get out of politics. Besides, if the public likes the way things are and wants it to continue, they can still vote for the same party. It just would take out all the re-election politics that are ruining our country. If the public doesn’t like the way things are, then it’s probably time for a change anyways.

And yes, Supreme Court nominees should have term limits as well.
chaski On about 6 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Sep 20, 2018 @ 20:45:04
@Leon Said

I say 4 years for House members, 12 years for Senate members, and 8 years for the President.

I say...

A. 12 years for House members (i.e. 3 four year terms); 12 years for Senate (i.e. 2 six year terms); 6 years for President (i.e. 1 six year term)... and the Presidential election to be a stand-a-lone election... no other issues... period.

B. Since federally elected officials get life time retirement and health care after their terms are over, I would say that there should be a life time ban on lobbying. (Of course I view lobbying as bribery, so that behavior should be included in 18 U.S. Code § 201 - Bribery of public officials and witnesses).

C. There would also be a life time ban on working for any foreign country, unless the person renounces his citizenship to the USA and leaves the USA forever.

@Leon Said

Agreed. The term limit in my mind would be 12 years with a one time Senate & House approval for an additional 6 years. Mandatory retirement age at 75 regardless of how many years have been passed in office.

San Diego, California
#3New Post! Sep 21, 2018 @ 03:27:15
@chaski Said

I say...

A. 12 years for House members (i.e. 3 four year terms); 12 years for Senate (i.e. 2 six year terms); 6 years for President (i.e. 1 six year term)... and the Presidential election to be a stand-a-lone election... no other issues... period.

B. Since federally elected officials get life time retirement and health care after their terms are over, I would say that there should be a life time ban on lobbying. (Of course I view lobbying as bribery, so that behavior should be included in 18 U.S. Code § 201 - Bribery of public officials and witnesses).

C. There would also be a life time ban on working for any foreign country, unless the person renounces his citizenship to the USA and leaves the USA forever.

Agreed. The term limit in my mind would be 12 years with a one time Senate & House approval for an additional 6 years. Mandatory retirement age at 75 regardless of how many years have been passed in office.

So you’re in favor of re-elections for Congress members?
Stalker

#4New Post! Sep 21, 2018 @ 03:32:47
@Leon Said

So you’re in favor of re-elections for Congress members?

Yes.

I am in favor of limited and restricted re-elections for Congress.... but against this "you can get elected again and again until you die" situation that we have now.

But not for the office of President... one term only for that office.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#5New Post! Sep 25, 2018 @ 12:21:57
@Leon Said

Let’s put a one-term limit on all members of Congress and the Presidency. Re-election politics run Washington, and it’s ruining our leadership, and as a result, our country.

For example:

1. Bribery in the form of re-election campaign spending now drives conviction.

2. Procedure in regards to Supreme Court nominations and hearings revolve around election dates and are the driving force behind decisions on their expediency and timing.

3. Not only has voting on legislation been based on re-electability, but even WHAT and WHEN to vote on legislation has been completely taken over by how it would look for candidates up for re-election. This is particularly true for the House of Representatives, where all candidates are up for re-election every two years. As a result, we have a “do-nothing” Congress and have for almost a generation now, save a few pieces of legislation.

A one-term limit will eradicate all this completely.

Granted, such regular turnover may cause mishmash of policy and chaos, so a fix to this effect would be to double term lengths - I say 4 years for House members, 12 years for Senate members, and 8 years for the President. Then that’s it. Move on to another office or get out of politics. Besides, if the public likes the way things are and wants it to continue, they can still vote for the same party. It just would take out all the re-election politics that are ruining our country. If the public doesn’t like the way things are, then it’s probably time for a change anyways.

two terms for the house including the Senate

POTUS max two terms same as now

best I can offer
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Sep 25, 2018 @ 21:23:55
You’re constitution ruins your country. It’s a terrible document that you all cling too tightly too.

, Florida
#7New Post! Sep 25, 2018 @ 23:31:30
@cole Said

You’re constitution ruins your country. It’s a terrible document that you all cling too tightly too.

Ah

no

I promise the US Constitution has not done that.
Stalker

#8New Post! Sep 25, 2018 @ 23:51:45
@gakINGKONG Said

Ah

no

I promise the US Constitution has not done that.

I'm with the G man on this one... the US Constitution has not ruined our country. In fact, it is likely the only thing that has keep us together.
Corey On January 25, 2022

Sacramento, California
#9New Post! Sep 26, 2018 @ 08:39:22
May be we could use a term limit for all jobs in America. You get a job and work for one year then thats it you're out, and give some one else a chance. That would be more fair and give every one a chance to work. Also to make hiring more equal and spread the opportunity to work for all, each job could be filled by random selection of social security numbers. Favoritism and glass ceilings would stop. Previous experience and education would not give unfair advantage to job seakers. Workers with no previous experience for their jobs could consult experts and the internet to make the best decisions. This could mean workers would not be influenced by obligations and favors. Then we could really drain the swamp every where. Since government positions would be filled this way too, the cost of ellections could be saved. At the end of each one year term of work, each worker should be given a blanket pardon for any and all actions performed in the job. Some would need to go into the witness protection plan regardless, to facilitate the necessary cover ups.

So what do you think?

Corey.

San Diego, California
#10New Post! Sep 26, 2018 @ 09:33:27
@Corey Said

May be we could use a term limit for all jobs in America. You get a job and work for one year then thats it you're out, and give some one else a chance. That would be more fair and give every one a chance to work. Also to make hiring more equal and spread the opportunity to work for all, each job could be filled by random selection of social security numbers. Favoritism and glass ceilings would stop. Previous experience and education would not give unfair advantage to job seakers. Workers with no previous experience for their jobs could consult experts and the internet to make the best decisions. This could mean workers would not be influenced by obligations and favors. Then we could really drain the swamp every where. Since government positions would be filled this way too, the cost of ellections could be saved. At the end of each one year term of work, each worker should be given a blanket pardon for any and all actions performed in the job. Some would need to go into the witness protection plan regardless, to facilitate the necessary cover ups.

So what do you think?

Corey.

What about the self-employed?

, Florida
#11New Post! Sep 26, 2018 @ 16:14:00
Judges?

Will Judges move off the life-time status to something less?
Stalker

#12New Post! Sep 26, 2018 @ 18:51:20
@gakINGKONG Said

Judges?

Will Judges move off the life-time status to something less?

We could put them on a life support system, and keep the a long time.
mrmhead On about 18 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#13New Post! Sep 26, 2018 @ 21:11:29
@Corey Said

So what do you think?

Corey.

"Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. This is your captain speaking. Welcome aboard flight 415 to Orlando. I just rotated into this job after being a line cook at Burger Chef, but don't worry, I have Google readily available on my iPad!"
mrmhead On about 18 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#14New Post! Sep 28, 2018 @ 16:48:20
How about we bring back Pistol Dueling.

It would, in effect, impose a natural term limitation.

I'm sure the NRA would be all for it!

San Diego, California
#15New Post! Oct 01, 2018 @ 22:32:54
This 60 Minutes interview of Jeff Flake showcases the reason why we need to reduce all terms to one and take out re-election politics.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs