Gender Issues

On the fence

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#2New Post! Jul 05, 2017 @ 17:18:29
If they are doing this as a general rule across all birth certificates, then I think it would be okay. But if this is due to a parental request, I think that is going a bit too far.
chaski On about 2 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#3New Post! Jul 05, 2017 @ 17:25:57
From the link:

"It is up to Searyl to decide how they identify, when they are old enough to develop their own gender identity," Doty said in the statement. "I am not going to foreclose their choices based on an arbitrary assignment of gender at birth based on an inspection of their genitals."

I guess the child, "Searyl" is more than one person.

nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#5New Post! Jul 05, 2017 @ 18:23:20
@chaski Said

From the link:

"It is up to Searyl to decide how they identify, when they are old enough to develop their own gender identity," Doty said in the statement. "I am not going to foreclose their choices based on an arbitrary assignment of gender at birth based on an inspection of their genitals."

I guess the child, "Searyl" is more than one person.

That's just vernacular for more gender-fluid people. They don't really identify as male so they don't say 'he', but they don't identify as female either so they don't say 'she' either. 'They' is just easier to use in replacement of those two even though it does give the grammatical implication that Searyl is more than one person. I can think of some substitutes that the gender-fluid community might use, but I can't imagine that any of them would be understood by the 'average outsider' because none of them are actually common words.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Jul 05, 2017 @ 18:50:05
@Leon Said

If they are doing this as a general rule across all birth certificates, then I think it would be okay. But if this is due to a parental request, I think that is going a bit too far.

Why? Both for the first and second sentences of your post.
Stalker

#7New Post! Jul 05, 2017 @ 18:50:17
@nooneinparticular Said

That's just vernacular for more gender-fluid people.

Well that's astoundingly obvious, and not altogether unlike god calling himself us in the bible (note: no intent to high jack this thread, just responding to the obvious).

@nooneinparticular Said

'They' is just easier to use in replacement...

Hmmm.... I guess you are correct, using "they/their" five times in two sentences is easier than being direct and concise and saying something like:

I think that choice of gender should be up to my child, Searyl, not the government or society.

or

I don't think that the government or society have any business dictating the gender of my child, Searyl
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Jul 05, 2017 @ 18:54:08
There is so much about this that gives me a headache.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#9New Post! Jul 05, 2017 @ 19:01:18
@chaski Said

Well that's astoundingly obvious, and not altogether unlike god calling himself us in the bible (note: no intent to high jack this thread, just responding to the obvious).

As opposed to Donald Trump referring to himself as " Donald Trump"
(or maybe that's a psychological issue)

, Hawaii
#10New Post! Jul 05, 2017 @ 19:08:08
@chaski Said

Hmmm.... I guess you are correct, using "they/their" five times in two sentences is easier than being direct and concise and saying something like:

I think that choice of gender should be up to my child, Searyl, not the government or society.

or

I don't think that the government or society have any business dictating the gender of my child, Searyl

Hey I'm not saying that using they/their five times in a single statement was good syntax, just that the alternative of being that specific doesn't always work from a flow perspective.
Stalker

#11New Post! Jul 05, 2017 @ 19:27:47
@nooneinparticular Said

Hey I'm not saying that using they/their five times in a single statement was good syntax, just that the alternative of being that specific doesn't always work from a flow perspective.

I fully understood your point.

I probably should have remained silent on the topic and keep my sarcasm to myself.

Searyl's parent has every right to refer to the child in any way the parent sees fit...even if, to me, it smacks of being a publicity stunt (hopefully not at the expense of the child).

Really, however, it is none of my business and I should not expect anyone to speak as I see fit.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#12New Post! Jul 05, 2017 @ 19:46:04
@Leon Said

I would lean in the other direction:
Declare what the apparent sex of the child is, by default (as is the case today), but if the parent wants to "Opt Out" of the declaration - for whatever reasons - let them.
Stalker

#13New Post! Jul 05, 2017 @ 19:58:28
I'm wondering how Kori Doty, Searyl's non-binary trans parent, is going dress Searyl.

Will Seryl wear "boy's" clothes, "girl's" clothes, "androgynous" clothes....or perhaps switch between the various gender "orientations"? Mondays boy clothes, Tuesday girl, Wednesday androgynous...etc.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Searyl will not be able top choose and/or put on clothes for at least a year or so.

At what age will Searyl actually be "allowed" to truly choose for themselves.

It seems to me that the idea of allowing them to choose their own clothes runs the risk of actually influencing them one direction or another and thereby guiding them to choose their gender as opposed to actually allowing them to choose their own gender...which might actually defeat the purpose.

, Hawaii
#14New Post! Jul 05, 2017 @ 20:12:11
@chaski Said

I fully understood your point.

I probably should have remained silent on the topic and keep my sarcasm to myself.

Really, however, it is none of my business and I should not expect anyone to speak as I see fit.

I am really bad at identifying sarcasm apparently, and I mean that as a legitimate thing not as a jab as I've been running into that problem more recently than I would like as of late.

Quote:

Searyl's parent has every right to refer to the child in any way the parent sees fit...even if, to me, it smacks of being a publicity stunt (hopefully not at the expense of the child).

You know, I never considered that. Being an attention whore isn't just relegated to straight people after all.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#15New Post! Jul 06, 2017 @ 03:10:20
@Eaglebauer Said

Why? Both for the first and second sentences of your post.

The former doesn't impose on certain individuals. It's just a stat that is left out of all birth certificates. I think that would be okay. Not needed.

The latter makes one's birth certificate unique to all others and which the individual had no say on.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs