Pets & Animals

Oliver's got a cough! :(

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#1New Post! Jul 14, 2011 @ 16:19:55
Ever since he came back from the lake yesterday, he's been coughing and acting like he's gonna puke. I don't know if he ate something bad, or got kennel cough or WHAT. He's almost 12 so I'm worried about him.
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 14, 2011 @ 16:49:01
@Grasshopper Said

Ever since he came back from the lake yesterday, he's been coughing and acting like he's gonna puke. I don't know if he ate something bad, or got kennel cough or WHAT. He's almost 12 so I'm worried about him.

i take it he's a dog? what is it like, could it possibly be a reverse sneeze? all of my girls have suffered with that strangely. its not good to hear and they sort of hack like they might throw up- is that familiar? or did he get something like a blade of grass stuck?
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#3New Post! Jul 14, 2011 @ 17:40:47
There are many conditions that would give a dog a cough that could be serious. If you can I would get him to a vet. Has he been around other new dogs and possibly contracted Kennel Cough? Kennel Cough (Bordatella) is VERY contagious.

You can give a dog cough syrup with dextromethorphan. You can call a vet and just ask if that is okay if you don't want to take my word for it. I have given my dog benadryl before for allergic reactions and cough syrup once when she got kennel cough as a pup - my vet is the one who said to give it to them and that it wouldn't hurt her at all. The trick is in making sure you dose it correctly for their weight - for this I would call your vet and tell him/her Oliver's weight. Is he a big dog or little? My dog is eight lbs so getting the dosage correct by weight was much trickier than say for a 60lb dog as a 60lb dog is closer to the size of a preteen.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#4New Post! Jul 14, 2011 @ 18:34:42
Awwww. I sure hope he's okay. Let me know.
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#5New Post! Jul 14, 2011 @ 19:12:50
@Sparklegirl Said

i take it he's a dog? what is it like, could it possibly be a reverse sneeze? all of my girls have suffered with that strangely. its not good to hear and they sort of hack like they might throw up- is that familiar? or did he get something like a blade of grass stuck?

Yes, he's a dog.

Yea, sorta! Though wouldn't he have hacked it up by now??
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#6New Post! Jul 14, 2011 @ 19:21:28
@Grasshopper Said

Yes, he's a dog.

I can't add anything to the advise already posted. But I did want to say , I can totally empathise with you, one of my dogs is 12 this year , I've had him since he was 4 weeks old,
I worry about him when he's sickly just like use to worry about my kids when little and got sick.
I hope he gets to feeling his old self soon . [smile]https://c.tfster.com/images/galleries/thumb_3a8d4acce9052ffc5bcc32328b31185b.gif">
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jul 14, 2011 @ 19:32:36
@Grasshopper Said

Yes, he's a dog.

how long do the coughing sessions last each time? youtube reverse sneeze- see if thats it. if im right and it is that, its all to do with the soft palete so its not very serious- id worry more of hes a flatter muzzled breed though like a pug
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#8New Post! Jul 15, 2011 @ 19:03:46
@Sparklegirl Said

how long do the coughing sessions last each time? youtube reverse sneeze- see if thats it. if im right and it is that, its all to do with the soft palete so its not very serious- id worry more of hes a flatter muzzled breed though like a pug

Well... kinda pieced things together. he's only coughing when he licks his junk. And we found pus coming out of his sheith.
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jul 15, 2011 @ 20:53:31
@Grasshopper Said

Well... kinda pieced things together. he's only coughing when he licks his junk. And we found pus coming out of his sheith.

ohhhhh ok. so its more icky then than much else. has he been to a vet or is he ok now? maybe get him looked at to get some sort of treatment for wahtever is causing the problem for the poor little guy. hope he feel better soo
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs