Oil Company Tax Breaks

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#1New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 06:41:22
Why do oil companies get special tax treatment?

And don't say that without it they will raise prices. Why is it the job of other taxpayers to pay more so that oil companies can get a tax break? If that leads to higher prices at the pump, so be it. I can choose how much I want to drive and what kind of car I choose to drive. I can't choose to not pay income tax.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#2New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 07:23:15
@El_Tino Said

And don't say that without it they will raise prices.

You say that, and then in 2 sentences proceed to explain how that would (must) happen.

Quote:
Why is it the job of other taxpayers to pay more so that oil companies can get a tax break? If that leads to higher prices at the pump, so be it. I can choose how much I want to drive and what kind of car I choose to drive. I can't choose to not pay income tax.

I'm going to assume, for the sake of argument, that they do get a tax break. I've never looked into it. But it isn't arguable that all corporate taxes are paid by the consumer....ALL. Exxon Mobile for example, only has a 4-9% net profit, and that remains the same whether you add corporate taxes or not. They necessarily include it in their overhead.

You say we choose how much we want to drive. That's only true up to a point. Our cities, other than New York City, were built out for the most part, not up. Getting to work and getting groceries, at a minimum, requires a car for almost everybody. This is above and beyond the freedom our vehicles and the highways represent, and the stimulation to the economy exercising that freedom brings about.

I doubt that whatever the tax break to the oil companies works out to be at the pump, it isn't as much as is added per gallon by the federal gasoline tax. If they were serious about helping the economy in this area (and it would), then repeal that tax in addition to not levying the oil tax on the oil companies.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#3New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 07:31:09
@ThePainefulTruth Said

You say that, and then in 2 sentences proceed to explain how that would (must) happen.

I'm going to assume, for the sake of argument, that they do get a tax break. I've never looked into it. But it isn't arguable that all corporate taxes are paid by the consumer....ALL. Exxon Mobile for example, only has a 4-9% net profit, and that remains the same whether you add corporate taxes or not. The necessarily include it in their overhead.

Assuming that's true. So? The point is that they get special tax treatment that other corporations don't, so the other corporations have to pay more taxes. If what you say is true, the consumers are paying for it anyway, so why not allocate it to the oil companies instead of every other company?

Quote:
You say we choose how much we want to drive. That's only true up to a point. Our cities, other than New York City, were built out for the most part, not up. Getting to work and getting groceries, at a minimum, requires a car for almost everybody. This is above and beyond the freedom our vehicles and the highways represent, and the stimulation to the economy exercising that freedom brings about.

People have considerable latitude to control how much they drive. They can combine trips. They can take vacations closer to home. They can take jobs closer to home or move closer to a job. And you act as though the layout of cities is merely a cause. It's actually an effect, it's the effect of artificially low oil prices. If the true price of oil, including environmental and health effects and paying the same taxes as other corporations, were factored in oil would be much more expensive and cities would be more compact.

Quote:
I doubt that whatever the tax break to the oil companies works out to be at the pump, it isn't as much as is added per gallon by the federal gasoline tax. If they were serious about helping the economy in this area (and it would), then repeal that tax in addition to not levying the oil tax on the oil companies.

Right, it probably doesn't work out to very much, but at least it puts the tax burden the most on the people who use the most. Isn't that how it should be? Having it any other way is essentially redistributing wealth from people who don't drive a lot to people who do.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#4New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 08:03:16
@El_Tino Said

Assuming that's true. So? The point is that they get special tax treatment that other corporations don't, so the other corporations have to pay more taxes. If what you say is true, the consumers are paying for it anyway, so why not allocate it to the oil companies instead of every other company?

What they're doing is giving the consumers (the public) a tax break on oil. I don't like that the government picks and chooses where we get tax breaks, but as long as they're doing it, that's a good place to do it to help the economy.

Quote:
People have considerable latitude to control how much they drive. They can combine trips. They can take vacations closer to home. They can take jobs closer to home or move closer to a job.

Boy THAT'S cold, given the jobs climate. Many people are lucky to have a job anywhere. They can take vacations closer to home? More government control. Let the market handle it instead of strangling the supply like Oby is doing.

Quote:
And you act as though the layout of cities is merely a cause. It's actually an effect, it's the effect of artificially low oil prices.

Don't you mean artificially high, with government taxes? And cities build out instead of up in most cases, if they have the land. It's more cost effective to build a road than a skyscraper, while interconnecting a lot more land and people.

Quote:
If the true price of oil, including environmental and health effects and paying the same taxes as other corporations, were factored in oil would be much more expensive and cities would be more compact.

I wish you could have been around to see the air pollution 40 years ago. What we have now is a vast improvement, it's almost always negligible, and as vehicle technology improves, is continuing to become more so. I love the way you say the true price of oil includes taxes. Again, consumers pay ALL corporate taxes, so they should be abolished, even though it would remove one more demagogic talking point from the Left. Evil capitalism, evil corporations, Ooo, Ooo, Corporate Jets!!! (Why don't you bring that issue up with Mz. Pilosi next time you see her, Miss Double Standard personified.)

Quote:
Right, it probably doesn't work out to very much, but at least it puts the tax burden the most on the people who use the most.

I don't disagree with that at all. In fact, I'm for the FairTax which would do exactly that, AND eliminate income and all other taxes on businesses and corporations, along with eliminating personal income taxes. Hoooahhh! But the lobbyists, lawyers and control freak politicians won't have it.

Quote:
Isn't that how it should be? Having it any other way is essentially redistributing wealth from people who don't drive a lot to people who do.

Yes, hard as it seems, I agree. Re: my last comment.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#5New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 08:22:08
@ThePainefulTruth Said

What they're doing is giving the consumers (the public) a tax break on oil. I don't like that the government picks and chooses where we get tax breaks, but as long as they're doing it, that's a good place to do it to help the economy.

How is that a good place to do it? We spend $1 million a minute on imported oil! How does that help the economy?

Quote:
Boy THAT'S cold, given the jobs climate. Many people are lucky to have a job anywhere. They can take vacations closer to home? More government control. Let the market handle it instead of strangling the supply like Oby is doing.

It's not government control! You're advocating the government intervening to let people take vacations further from home? Why should the government (taxpayers) support that?

Quote:
Don't you mean artificially high, with government taxes? And cities build out instead of up in most cases, if they have the land. It's more cost effective to build a road than a skyscraper, while interconnecting a lot more land and people.

Not at all. Government gas taxes go to fund roads. It's self perpetuating. And the price of oil does not include externalities such as environmental damage and health problems caused by car exhaust. If it included those it would be much more expensive. I can't speak to the relative cost of building up vs. building roads, but building out rather than up isn't as cost effective when you price in the true cost of oil. Why should oil get special treatment that amounts to a subsidy for building out, which results in more demand for oil? (most of which is foreign, btw)

Quote:
I wish you could have been around to see the air pollution 40 years ago. What we have now is a vast improvement, it's almost always negligible, and as vehicle technology improves, is continuing to become more so. I love the way you say the true price of oil includes taxes. Again, consumers pay ALL corporate taxes, so they should be abolished, even though it would remove one more demagogic talking point from the Left. Evil capitalism, evil corporations, Ooo, Ooo, Corporate Jets!!! (Why don't you bring that issue up with Mz. Pilosi next time you see her, Miss Double Standard personified.)

Yeah, that evil EPA and the clean air act are to blame for that. I suppose you think those are anti business, job killing regulations. Aren't a lot of tea baggers saying we need to abolish the EPA?

Quote:
I don't disagree with that at all. In fact, I'm for the FairTax which would do exactly that, AND eliminate income and all other taxes on businesses and corporations, along with eliminating personal income taxes. Hoooahhh! But the lobbyists, lawyers and control freak politicians won't have it.

Well, it is a terrible idea.

Quote:
Yes, hard as it seems, I agree. Re: my last comment.

So why are you defending it?
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#6New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 09:20:55
@El_Tino Said

How is that a good place to do it? We spend $1 million a minute on imported oil! How does that help the economy?

Because the economy requires energy to run. And whose fault is it we depend on foreign oil?

Quote:
It's not government control! You're advocating the government intervening to let people take vacations further from home? Why should the government (taxpayers) support that?

I'm not advocating the government "let" the people do anything. Powers not granted to the feds, are reserved to the states or the people. And as you've already said, the ones that go further pay more. It isn't a free ride.

Quote:
Government gas taxes go to fund roads.

Pleeze. And Social Security taxes pays Social Security. That money was spent on other s*** decades ago. It's all a slush fund, and its so out of control, well, no one has control. The government is scared to death of an audit.

Quote:
And the price of oil does not include externalities such as environmental damage and health problems caused by car exhaust. If it included those it would be much more expensive.

Oh really, what are and how bad are exhaust pollution problems, that are getting better every year as clunkers come of the roads. And how much are the costing, if anything. I think they're way overblown if they exist at all.

You want to see real health problems due to pollution, go to China and India. We're pristine in comparison.

Quote:
I can't speak to the relative cost of building up vs. building roads, but building out rather than up isn't as cost effective when you price in the true cost of oil.

There you go again with the undocumented "true cost of oil", in which I presume you're still including taxes.

Quote:
Why should oil get special treatment that amounts to a subsidy for building out, which results in more demand for oil? (most of which is foreign, btw)

Whether you agree that building out costs less or not, that's what's happened. We can't change it. And it's foreign oil because domestic development of resources and refinement have been strangled due to demagogic environmental rabid anti-capitalists.

Quote:
Yeah, that evil EPA and the clean air act are to blame for that. I suppose you think those are anti business, job killing regulations. Aren't a lot of [rational people] saying we need to abolish the EPA?

Yes. I'm not arguing against pollution regulations, it's why we have so little of it today and it's improving. But we don't need the EPA to do it. The Dept. of the Interior could handle the little that needs legislation and control. The rest of it is a conduit for leftist control and expenditure of funds. Put them in the same basket as Fish and Wildlife, which destroys massive areas of property protecting some subspecies of fish--like the best agricultural land in the World in the San Joaquin Valley in California. It's f***ing immoral what they've done there. Put all those environmental eggs in one basket so we can sift the wheat from the chaff better.

Quote:
Well, it is a terrible idea. So why are you defending it?

??? The principle idea was yours.
EtoTheeyepipower On February 06, 2012

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#7New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 18:47:48
What is the why of federal taxes in the United States? Why is one thing taxed and not another?

I think if must have something to do with the Democrat Party. The Democrat Party has controlled Congress for most of the last eighty years, so the tax system must a thing created by the Democrat Party.

One of Lyndon Johnson's biographers suggests that Johnson sold the government to the oil companies. That might have something to do with tax breaks for oil companies.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#8New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 19:22:39
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Because the economy requires energy to run.

So? Why does that have to equate to us giving unneeded tax cuts to oil companies that nobody else gets?

Quote:
And whose fault is it we depend on foreign oil?

Well, at our current rates of use we could not produce enough on our own to satisfy our demand, even if we drilled in all the places oil companies want to drill. So I guess we could blame whoever benefits from us having inefficient cars and buildings.

Quote:
I'm not advocating the government "let" the people do anything. Powers not granted to the feds, are reserved to the states or the people. And as you've already said, the ones that go further pay more. It isn't a free ride.

So, get rid of the oil subsidies.

Quote:
Pleeze. And Social Security taxes pays Social Security. That money was spent on other s*** decades ago. It's all a slush fund, and its so out of control, well, no one has control. The government is scared to death of an audit.

The government spends more on roads than they collect from the gas tax. https://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09025/944323-85.stm

Quote:
Oh really, what are and how bad are exhaust pollution problems, that are getting better every year as clunkers come of the roads. And how much are the costing, if anything. I think they're way overblown if they exist at all.

Ever heard of climate change? Probably not.

Quote:
You want to see real health problems due to pollution, go to China and India. We're pristine in comparison.

I'd think an anti EPA tea bagger or Republican would feel right at home there.

Quote:
Whether you agree that building out costs less or not, that's what's happened. We can't change it. And it's foreign oil because domestic development of resources and refinement have been strangled due to demagogic environmental rabid anti-capitalists.

Ok, show me what oil company claims we could replace all our current demand with purely domestic oil.

I'll wait.

Quote:
Yes. I'm not arguing against pollution regulations, it's why we have so little of it today and it's improving. But we don't need the EPA to do it. The Dept. of the Interior could handle the little that needs legislation and control. The rest of it is a conduit for leftist control and expenditure of funds. Put them in the same basket as Fish and Wildlife, which destroys massive areas of property protecting some subspecies of fish--like the best agricultural land in the World in the San Joaquin Valley in California. It's f***ing immoral what they've done there. Put all those environmental eggs in one basket so we can sift the wheat from the chaff better.

yeah, environmental laws are some vast liberal conspiracy you're too funny.

Quote:
??? The principle idea was yours.

My idea is to end the oil company subsidies, and you apparently think that's a bad idea. What's so confusing about that?

@EtoTheeyepipower Said

What is the why of federal taxes in the United States? Why is one thing taxed and not another?

I think if must have something to do with the Democrat Party. The Democrat Party has controlled Congress for most of the last eighty years, so the tax system must a thing created by the Democrat Party.

One of Lyndon Johnson's biographers suggests that Johnson sold the government to the oil companies. That might have something to do with tax breaks for oil companies.

So you're "guessing" that it was on party or another, but in reality you have no idea. Why don't you go do some research and tell us what you find out.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#9New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 19:26:56
@El_Tino Said

Because they pay off the politicians instead.

J.R.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#10New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 21:06:22
@El_Tino Said

So? Why does that have to equate to us giving unneeded tax cuts to oil companies that nobody else gets?

Repeat after me, "Tax cuts on oil do nothing but reduce the price of oil for the consumer." If you need to reboot, send an email to someone who gives a s***.

Quote:
Well, at our current rates of use we could not produce enough on our own to satisfy our demand, even if we drilled in all the places oil companies want to drill.

First I didn't say we could completely replace our foreign oil. Frankly I don't know if we can and neither do you. If we started switching over to natural gas, we could, but we can't get at much of it thanks to Obama, EPA and its supposed "green" allies.

"The existence of huge shale gas and oil reserves is ruining the current Washington-based campaign to make conventional energy sources expensive. The statements by President Obama and the actions of the Department of the Interior and the Environmental Protection Agency make it clear that the administration’s strategy is to make oil, gas and coal so expensive that energy from solar, wind and ethanol can be price competitive. Working hand-in-hand with the green lobby, the EPA is attacking shale gas development. The hysteria about hydraulic fracturing polluting ground water is being fomented in the states
of New York and Pennsylvania. Such nonsense would never fly in gas producing states of Oklahoma, Texas or Louisiana. Meanwhile the Department of Interior has made 97% of the onshore and 94% of the offshore areas controlled by the federal government off-limits for gas exploration. The anti-energy strategy may not work. During 2009 and 2010 the big oil companies began buying the small
entrepreneurial but politically weak companies that made the shale gas revolution possible. Say what you will about the evils of big oil, but this time they are on the side of the people, and they have the means to fight back.

By the way, the use of shale gas producing techniques developed in the relatively free enterprise system of the U.S. is spreading to the rest of the world with U.S. government encouragement! Increased access to energy is a key to economic progress in the undeveloped world. Too bad we can’t export capitalism along with its technical and scientific fruits.

US obstructs production of shale oil.

In a 2010 report, the EPA actually said that methane was a major component of shale gas. Well duh!. Essentially methane IS natural gas.

*Environmental Protection Agency, “Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting from the Petroleum and Natural Gas Industry, Background Technical Support Document, posted to web 30 November 2010.

Quote:
So, get rid of the oil subsidies.

You see a question answered but you keep asking it. WTF?

Quote:
The government spends more on roads than they collect from the gas tax. https://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09025/944323-85.stm

So?

Quote:
Ever heard of climate change? Probably not.

Yeah, they used to call it Global Warming until that was discredited, at least as being human caused, and it doesn't look like the globe is warming anyway. Looks like your snide was wasted.

[quotge]I'd think an anti EPA tea bagger or Republican would feel right at home there.

So you ignore my response in hopes that if you slather on more irrelevant snide and name calling it will make your point?

Quote:
Ok, show me what oil company claims we could replace all our current demand with purely domestic oil.

I'll wait.

You'll have to wait until hell freezes over if you expect me to keep answering questions you've already asked and that have been answered.

Quote:
yeah, environmental laws are some vast liberal conspiracy you're too funny.

Calling open documented obstructionism a conspiracy will put your credibility in the tank. Wait a minute.......uh oh.....to late.

Quote:
My idea is to end the oil company subsidies, and you apparently think that's a bad idea. What's so confusing about that?

You seem to continue to be confused about the fact that corporate taxes are paid by the consumer. Thus corporate subsidies (slimy euphemism for not taxing corporations) is a tax cut for the consumer. Are you for raising gasoline prices? Or are you still confused.

Quote:
So you're "guessing" that it was on party or another, but in reality you have no idea. Why don't you go do some research and tell us what you find out.

No, she isn't guessing, it was the Democrats. They (you) still clamor for more and higher taxes.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#11New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 21:34:37
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Repeat after me, "Tax cuts on oil do nothing but reduce the price of oil for the consumer." If you need to reboot, send an email to someone who gives a s***.

Repeat after me: "Tax cuts on oil companies do nothing but increase the taxes everyone else has to pay".

Quote:
First I didn't say we could completely replace our foreign oil. Frankly I don't know if we can and neither do you.

Nobody I have seen says we can get all the oil we need from domestic sources.

Quote:
If we started switching over to natural gas, we could, but we can't get at much of it thanks to Obama, EPA and its supposed "green" allies.

"The existence of huge shale gas and oil reserves is ruining the current Washington-based campaign to make conventional energy sources expensive. The statements by President Obama and the actions of the Department of the Interior and the Environmental Protection Agency make it clear that the administration’s strategy is to make oil, gas and coal so expensive that energy from solar, wind and ethanol can be price competitive. Working hand-in-hand with the green lobby, the EPA is attacking shale gas development. The hysteria about hydraulic fracturing polluting ground water is being fomented in the states
of New York and Pennsylvania. Such nonsense would never fly in gas producing states of Oklahoma, Texas or Louisiana. Meanwhile the Department of Interior has made 97% of the onshore and 94% of the offshore areas controlled by the federal government off-limits for gas exploration. The anti-energy strategy may not work. During 2009 and 2010 the big oil companies began buying the small
entrepreneurial but politically weak companies that made the shale gas revolution possible. Say what you will about the evils of big oil, but this time they are on the side of the people, and they have the means to fight back.

By the way, the use of shale gas producing techniques developed in the relatively free enterprise system of the U.S. is spreading to the rest of the world with U.S. government encouragement! Increased access to energy is a key to economic progress in the undeveloped world. Too bad we can’t export capitalism along with its technical and scientific fruits.

US obstructs production of shale oil.

How is it capitalist to give special tax breaks to favored industries? Sounds rather socialist to me.

Quote:
In a 2010 report, the EPA actually said that methane was a major component of shale gas. Well duh!. Essentially methane IS natural gas.

Methane is natural gas, but natural gas isn't all methane.

Quote:

So?

So, you implied the gas tax doesn't go to pay for roads.

Quote:
Yeah, they used to call it Global Warming until that was discredited, at least as being human caused, and it doesn't look like the globe is warming anyway. Looks like your snide was wasted.

Climate scientists overwhelmingly agree that CO2 emissions contribute to climate change. Of course, your party doesn't like science so I'm not surprised you don't believe it.

Quote:

So you ignore my response in hopes that if you slather on more irrelevant snide and name calling it will make your point?

Well, who was opposed to the environmental regulations that cleaned up our air? The Clean Air Act was passed in 1963 when the President, House and Senate were all democrats.

Quote:
You'll have to wait until hell freezes over if you expect me to keep answering questions you've already asked and that have been answered.

Where did you say that we can replace imported oil with domestically produced oil?

Quote:
Calling open documented obstructionism a conspiracy will put your credibility in the tank. Wait a minute.......uh oh.....to late.

Saying that environmental regulations are a liberal conspiracy to increase the size of government will put your credibility in the tank.

Quote:
You seem to continue to be confused about the fact that corporate taxes are paid by the consumer. Thus corporate subsidies (slimy euphemism for not taxing corporations) is a tax cut for the consumer. Are you for raising gasoline prices? Or are you still confused.

Have you not understood a word I've typed? Yes, I am in favor of oil companies paying the same taxes that any other corporation pays. If that results in higher gasoline prices, so be it.

Quote:
No, she isn't guessing, it was the Democrats. They (you) still clamor for more and higher taxes.

She claimed that the democrats gave the oil companies the tax breaks to begin with and didn't give them to anyone else. How is that democrats raising taxes?
Edited: August 09, 2011 @ 21:35

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#12New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 21:58:25
I'm not sure which oil company tax we are talking about, but the depletion allowance began in the 1920's when Republicans controlled the federal government, so one might blame the Republicans, but like I said, for eighty years, the Democrats have mostly controlled Congress and sometimes both the Congress and the Presidency. If Presidents Obama, Clinton, Carter, or Johnson had wanted to repeal the depletion allowance, they could have done so.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#13New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 22:19:27
@EtoTheeyepipower Said

I'm not sure which oil company tax we are talking about, but the depletion allowance began in the 1920's when Republicans controlled the federal government, so one might blame the Republicans, but like I said, for eighty years, the Democrats have mostly controlled Congress and sometimes both the Congress and the Presidency. If Presidents Obama, Clinton, Carter, or Johnson had wanted to repeal the depletion allowance, they could have done so.

Well that illustrates that both parties are guilty of creating special treats for favored industries.

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#14New Post! Aug 11, 2011 @ 14:13:46
@El_Tino Said

Well that illustrates that both parties are guilty of creating special treats for favored industries.

I bet you have the truth of it. The depletion allowance probably applies to any kind of mining from diamonds in Arkansas to rare earths in California to coal in Wyoming. But maybe it applies especially to oil because Texas oil men stand up when they drive their Texas Toyotas. That's because they lost their a** in the Awl Binus.

shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#15New Post! Aug 12, 2011 @ 23:16:02
@ThePainefulTruth Said

I'm going to assume, for the sake of argument, that they do get a tax break. I've never looked into it. But it isn't arguable that all corporate taxes are paid by the consumer....ALL. Exxon Mobile for example, only has a 4-9% net profit, and that remains the same whether you add corporate taxes or not. They necessarily include it in their overhead.

That is just plain silly!
Why not give ALL corporations tax breaks since it (might) reduce product cost!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs