The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Kids

Odd names for kids. Have you considered an odd name or did your parents?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
Would you still name your child a unique name even if people told you it was a horrible idea?
Yes
No
Maybe
I would have to think about it.
View Results
astrohamgirl On June 16, 2012

Melbourne Beach, Florida
#1New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 22:31:40
So a few months ago I was talking to my mom about names that she thought about naming me. Some of the names were a no brainer because she had told me before but the names she had in mind are just odd...but also kinda cool. Lol.

Here is the list!
1. Helen
2. Haley
3. Apricot
4. Petal
5. Lisbeth

Because of the movie "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Trilogy" I am obsessed with the name Lisbeth but to think I was almost named Apricot...lol.
Still some of the names are unique.
Hope you guys can share! (:
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 22:32:23
Dragon or Megatron are the best names ever

/ thread
astrohamgirl On June 16, 2012

Melbourne Beach, Florida
#3New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 22:34:56
@Rehabilitation_Please Said

Dragon or Megatron are the best names ever

/ thread

That child!
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 22:38:49
Oh I just thought of another awesome name to name my child

Trogdor The Burninator

/ thread
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 22:40:25
Course I would. Had this talk with my better half the other day- I really like unusual names. I have a unique name so prefer them, wouldnt care if other people hated it beucase my child my choice. As long as it is nothing hideously awful of course that would make them suffer for life. Like Dragon
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 22:41:29
@Rehabilitation_Please Said

Oh I just thought of another awesome name to name my child

Trogdor The Burninator

/ thread

Start a new poll. Perhaps a list of you're girlfriend's suggestions might even up the score more!
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#7New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 22:45:33
My mother not only considered it but actually gave me a name that is very unusual . I found a FB page of a person with the same name but slightly different spelling in the Eastern part of the US , they were asking if there were any others with the name. Last time I looked there are 7 people with the name and 2 of them its their IRL nick names.
thequietman On August 29, 2018
Scapegrace

Rusty Bullet Hole, Washington
#8New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 22:51:40
Bad a** Mother f***er Pennington
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#9New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 22:52:09
I don't get "unusual" names. What the heck is an "unusual" name.

It's really a hard concept for me to understand. I grew up with all sort of cultures and in different countries that I've seen so many different names that for someone to make fun of or think a name is "horrible" just because it's different is so odd.

Eitherway, my kids will have a name that fits him or her. Be it "unusual" or "usual."
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 23:07:08
My name was a bit unusual when compared with the other names that were popular at the time. It's not in America though apparently, suppose it's all relative.

I like vaguely unusual names but think that traditional names are better as they're time resistant.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#11New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 23:11:30
@astrohamgirl Said

3. Apricot
4. Petal

If my mom named me ither of those names I'd kill er!
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#12New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 23:17:42
Not a name I consider but....my one Aunt's name is Darka.
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#13New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 23:19:26
Also...I've always wanted to say...It's a good thing Shirley Mill's mom didn't name her Anna.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jun 02, 2012 @ 05:37:21
The popularity of certain names is often driven by celebrity, or just simple fad.

There was a series on British TV a few years back called "Footballer's Wives" and one of the central female characters in that was called "Chardonnay". Guess what happened next...?

Yep.... loads of newborn girls being named Chardonnay, until the next celeb came along. Now, I've got nothing against the name, although I wouldn't give it to one of my own.

In the mid 1980's, for some reason, "Emma" became popular as a girl's name in UK. I think there were six Emma's in my class in Primary School (as well as a number of Marys, Teresas and Bernadettes. Well, it was a Catholic school. ).

I've checked out the most popular boys and girls names in the last couple of years and they are as follows:

2011. boys: Oliver, Jack, Harry. girls: Lilly, Emily, Isabella.

2010. boys: Joshua, Jack, Harry. girls: Sophie, Isabelle, Emily.

2009. boys: Oliver, Jack, Thomas. girls: Isabelle, Lilly, Emily.

Not much change then in recent years, although methinks "Harry" is likely to drop down the list now that a certain movie franchise is finished with. Looking down the lists, there isn't anything that is bizarre. However, I did notice that some names that were prominent only a generation or so before, have dropped right off the top 100 list now.

Johnathan, Stephen, Leonard, Kevin, Christopher, Keith, Trevor, Michael and Kenneth were not present in the top 100, whereas some names that were rare in UK only a couple of generations ago are becoming more common. Ethan was at no 10, Jayden at 29 and Mohammad popped up at 35.

Girls: Lesley, Sandra, Jennifer, Amanda, Jane / Janet, Catherine, Lisa, Tina, Kim, Susan and Nancy have all dropped right off the plot whereas Freya now weighs in at 19, Summer at 53 and Willow at 62.

I guess that names follow trends and it goes in cycles. A couple of generations from now, Janet and John will probably be considered cool again....... and round and round it will go.

Amanda and I have played the "Naming Game", when we've been in our broody times and there are certain names we like (not telling, so don't ask) but generally, we like simple, straightforward "standards".

It will be enough for us to have amazingly beautiful babies... No name could match the miracle that they will be.

ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#15New Post! Jun 02, 2012 @ 11:31:52
@astrohamgirl Said

So a few months ago I was talking to my mom about names that she thought about naming me. Some of the names were a no brainer because she had told me before but the names she had in mind are just odd...but also kinda cool. Lol.

Here is the list!
1. Helen
2. Haley
3. Apricot
4. Petal
5. Lisbeth

Because of the movie "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Trilogy" I am obsessed with the name Lisbeth but to think I was almost named Apricot...lol.
Still some of the names are unique.
Hope you guys can share! (:

Maybe, there's good unique, and there's albatross unique. Imagine your child introducing him/herself with the name you're thinking about. Try it on people. If the result is some form of "huh?", don't do it! I speak from personal first hand experience. And actually apricot or petal could be good, they're words people are familiar with and convey a sense of endearment. I think unusual CAN be good, and can even impart a sense of special individuality.

And avoid names, even common names, with variations in spelling, so they don't have to spell it every time they say it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs