Obama slams McCain over oil tax breaks

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
richreality On July 08, 2010

, Pennsylvania
#1New Post! Aug 01, 2008 @ 01:59:33
Link Here

I gotta say I agree with the long term solution of Obama rather than a couple of boxes of donuts for a summer tax break with McCain. And by the way, how the h_ll did Brittany manage to get publicity with the story
bobbimay On February 11, 2024

Tucson, Arizona
#2New Post! Aug 01, 2008 @ 02:36:23
O.K. so what exactly is obama's plan to lower gas prices???

as he suggested.... to fill my tires and get a tune up is not going to lower prices....But then I guess it would make all the union ran repair shops money....Hmmmmm

, Pennsylvania
#3New Post! Aug 01, 2008 @ 02:52:02
Obama\'s Energy Fact Sheet
I like the idea of becoming a global leader in our own yards.
I especially like:
...Rather, energy security requires stemming the flow of money to oil rich regimes that are hostile to
America and its allies; it requires combating climate change and preparing for its impacts both at home
and abroad; it requires making international energy markets work for us and not against us; it requires
standing up to the oil companies that spend hundreds of millions of dollars on lobbying and political
contributions; it requires that we address nuclear safety, waste, and proliferation challenges around the
world; and more.
Obama will halt this dangerous trend, and take the necessary steps to achieving energy independence.
Obama will make it a top priority of his climate change and energy independence agenda to reduce oil
consumption by at least 35%, or 10 million barrels per day, by 2030. This will more than offset the
equivalent of oil we are expected to import from OPEC nations in 2030. To meet this goal, the Obama
plan will establish a National Low Carbon Fuel Standard, deploy advanced biofuels, repeal tax breaks
for the oil and gas industry, and implement the following policies: .....

it seemed to be a rather clear concept.
thebear On July 12, 2011

, Singapore
#4New Post! Aug 01, 2008 @ 03:06:57
Al Gore threw everyone a challenge.

There was another debate going on in another forum (although it became a flamewar after a couple of days) about the promise of technology.

However, I see that the technology is there to meet Al Gore's challenge and they may actually be able to make it, but no one is moving towards that technology.

When I read a few months ago that a bunch of High School kids in the US made a car which does over 35mpg and does 0-60mph in less than 6 seconds, I wonder what the hell GM, Ford, Toyota and Honda are doing?

I see Tata (the Indian car manufacturer) making compressed air cars soon. I wonder why the technology is not taken up by the big car companies.

Breakthroughs in solar panels will enable us to more than half the need for the electricity from the grid. But no one seems to be moving towards that.

I guess it's more a matter of overcoming the inertia and complacency. Or is there an even more insidious side where the lobbyists and their money talk louder than the needs of the planet, and of the US citizens? I mean, look at Big Oil! Tax breaks for them disguised as breaks for the people?

After all, the campaign is expensive stuff. So I wonder if Obama is as tainted as McCain?

Tucson, Arizona
#5New Post! Aug 01, 2008 @ 03:15:42
so we have to wait 22 years and pay $10 a gallon until obama can achieve his energy independence agenda
*hint: the most he will ever be able affect is 8 years so what happens to the other 14 years he can not control??
But then he can only have control if congress allows it.

but thats ok he can just tax the oil companies....right..
have you not looked at your 401K lately? you might want to notice how much of that is attached to the oil companies so who is really going to pay??....

he has no plan and is all talk...

Tucson, Arizona
#6New Post! Aug 01, 2008 @ 03:24:10
https://online.wsj.com/article/SB121728762442091427.html

Obamanomics Is a Recipe for Recession
By MICHAEL J. BOSKIN - July 29, 2008

What if I told you that a prominent global political figure in recent months has proposed: abrogating key features of his government's contracts with energy companies; unilaterally renegotiating his country's international economic treaties; dramatically raising marginal tax rates on the "rich" to levels not seen in his country in three decades (which would make them among the highest in the world); and changing his country's social insurance system into explicit welfare by severing the link between taxes and benefits?

The first name that came to mind would probably not be Barack Obama, possibly our nation's next president. Yet despite his obvious general intelligence, and uplifting and motivational eloquence, Sen. Obama reveals this startling economic illiteracy in his policy proposals and economic pronouncements. From the property rights and rule of (contract) law foundations of a successful market economy to the specifics of tax, spending, energy, regulatory and trade policy, if the proposals espoused by candidate Obama ever became law, the American economy would suffer a serious setback.
Boppin_Guy On March 01, 2024

No Place,
#7New Post! Aug 01, 2008 @ 03:31:12
I would rather start drilling for oil now, because if we use our reserves we're not going to have any if there's a national emergeny or something. And what happens when we run out of our reserves and we're not drilling....?

And oh yeah, I'm not waiting thirty years for alternative energy either.

, Pennsylvania
#8New Post! Aug 01, 2008 @ 03:51:01
@bobbimay Said
so we have to wait 22 years and pay $10 a gallon until obama can achieve his energy independence agenda
*hint: the most he will ever be able affect is 8 years so what happens to the other 14 years he can not control??
But then he can only have control if congress allows it.

but thats ok he can just tax the oil companies....right..
have you not looked at your 401K lately? you might want to notice how much of that is attached to the oil companies so who is really going to pay??....

he has no plan and is all talk...

Really? I thought I just read his plan and can he do more than talk without sitting in the White House? Actually he was active in the Renewable Fuel Law and believes that new vehicles should be capable of biofuels as well. I don't see why building here in the States and producing what we need is a bad thing and all talk. Quite frankly, we consumers with our driving need for convenience and fast-tracking are driving our consumptions up. How many folks actually jump on their bike to get a gallon a milk? Oh no, we must get in our car and run up to the store.
Truth is, the real problems can't really be solved until each of us does our own part to eliminate the excess in our own lives and demand alternatives. Seems time is a real issue for us. Until then, it's really what some politicians are banking on....who has the quickest fix.
Scoobiedoolala On October 30, 2008

Deleted
Banned

paducah, Kentucky
#9New Post! Aug 01, 2008 @ 03:53:03
all politicians say what you want to hear to get the vote! puh-leez! they sing good 'music', people turn it up!

, Pennsylvania
#10New Post! Aug 01, 2008 @ 03:56:10
@scoobiedoolala Said
all politicians say what you want to hear to get the vote! puh-leez! they sing good 'music', people turn it up!

then how do you decide who to vote for?

Deleted
Banned

paducah, Kentucky
#11New Post! Aug 01, 2008 @ 03:58:18
i havent voted for a very long time because they havent had candidates that deserved my vote for a very long time.

Tucson, Arizona
#12New Post! Aug 01, 2008 @ 04:03:14
@richreality Said
Really? I thought I just read his plan and can he do more than talk without sitting in the White House? Actually he was active in the Renewable Fuel Law and believes that new vehicles should be capable of biofuels as well. I don't see why building here in the States and producing what we need is a bad thing and all talk. Quite frankly, we consumers with our driving need for convenience and fast-tracking are driving our consumptions up. How many folks actually jump on their bike to get a gallon a milk? Oh no, we must get in our car and run up to the store.
Truth is, the real problems can't really be solved until each of us does our own part to eliminate the excess in our own lives and demand alternatives. Seems time is a real issue for us. Until then, it's really what some politicians are banking on....who has the quickest fix.

O.k. fine and who is going to pay for his programs???

Deleted
Banned

paducah, Kentucky
#13New Post! Aug 01, 2008 @ 04:32:46
taxation of the rich and middle class.

, Pennsylvania
#14New Post! Aug 01, 2008 @ 04:41:11
middle class??? i'm thinkin that's from the distant past

Tucson, Arizona