Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#1New Post! May 27, 2011 @ 19:15:00
"US President Barack Obama has signed a four-year extension of the Patriot Act from Paris, extending post-September 11 powers allowing the government to secretly search records and conduct roving wiretaps in pursuit of alleged terrorists or their supporters.

Hours after the US Senate and House of Representatives passed the law, through votes taken in rapid succession, and just minutes before the law was to expire at midnight in Washington DC, Obama sent in a digital signature, finalising the renewal on Thursday.

During congressional debates, legislators rejected attempts to temper the law enforcement powers to ensure that individual liberties would not be abused.

While the government's actual use of the Patriot Act largely remains secret, members of the Senate Intelligence Committee are unhappy with the extension.

Before Thursday's Senate vote, Oregon Democratic Senator Ron Wyden said, "I want to deliver a warning this afternoon: When the American people find out how their government has secretly interpreted the Patriot Act, they will be stunned and they will be angry."

"Americans would be alarmed if they knew how this law is being carried out," added Senator Mark Udall of Colorado, also on the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Following the 250-153 evening vote in the house, the legislation to renew three terrorism-fighting authorities headed for the president's signature with only hours to go before they were set to expire."

https://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2011/05/201152715850301322.html

=====================================================================

Why would he do this? I thought a lot of people were complaining that this invaded their privacy and whatnot? Didn't Obama listen to them? I'm genuinely asking, by the way.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#2New Post! May 27, 2011 @ 20:27:32
It does invade our privacy, and it probably does trample our constitution.. but people are a little bit pissed off at us right now since we killed Bin Laden.. so probably better to err on the safe side.
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#3New Post! May 27, 2011 @ 20:29:15
@boxerdc Said

It does invade our privacy, and it probably does trample our constitution.. but people are a little bit pissed off at us right now since we killed Bin Laden.. so probably better to err on the safe side.

Makes sense.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#4New Post! May 27, 2011 @ 23:33:53
Someone said something to the effect that Those who give up freedoms for security, deserve neither.
eli On July 18, 2011

Deleted

Crazy like a Fox,
#5New Post! May 28, 2011 @ 14:15:09
@boxerdc Said

yeah but this has been trampling our rights since 9/11. This needs to be stopped if at all possible.

@hoppy Said

Someone said something to the effect that Those who give up freedoms for security, deserve neither.
Benjamin Franklin...excellent quote.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#6New Post! May 28, 2011 @ 14:40:29
@hoppy Said

Did you speak out on it during "W"'s enactment or extensions?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#7New Post! May 28, 2011 @ 14:40:56
@eli Said

yeah but this has been trampling our rights since 9/11. This needs to be stopped if at all possible.

I'm with you.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#8New Post! May 28, 2011 @ 16:20:46
@shinobinoz Said

Did you speak out on it during "W"'s enactment or extensions?

I've been writing letters to senators and congressmen, editors etc since forever. I have a whole folder full of letters and articles I wrote pointing out U.N. corruption and misshandling, among othr things. So, yeah, I speak out.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#9New Post! May 28, 2011 @ 18:59:15
@hoppy Said

I've been writing letters to senators and congressmen, editors etc since forever. I have a whole folder full of letters and articles I wrote pointing out U.N. corruption and misshandling, among othr things. So, yeah, I speak out.

Here at TFS examples?
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#10New Post! May 28, 2011 @ 19:48:40
@shinobinoz Said

Here at TFS examples?

My letters and articles got published in newspapers and magazines. None of those are here.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#11New Post! May 28, 2011 @ 22:07:41
Can you hear that ??
baa baa baa baa
It's the sheepeoples saying it's okay to allow the government to ignore our right to privacy baa baa baa baa, heck we don't mind that our government ignores our Constitution baa baa baa baa We feel safer when the government is secretly breaking our laws baa baa baa baa It's true don't you know, what our government keeps us from knowing is for our own good baa baa baa baa
etc etc,etc ...
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#12New Post! May 29, 2011 @ 00:04:21
Americans had the guts to fight tyranny in 1774. Are we just going to roll over now and accept what should be considered unacceptable? If we Americans don't stand up for our rights and the freedom we say we love, no one else will.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#13New Post! May 29, 2011 @ 00:07:17
Sen. Wyden Decries “Secret Law” on PATRIOT Act, by Steven Aftergood, Secrecy News (May 25th, 2011)
Quote:

"We can have honest and legitimate disagreements about exactly how broad intelligence collection authorities ought to be, and members of the public do not expect to know all of the details about how those authorities are used," Sen. Wyden said. "But I hope each Senator would agree that the law itself should not be kept secret and that the government should always be open and honest with the American people about what the law means."

But the Senate moved toward cloture on reauthorization of the PATRIOT Act provisions and the Wyden amendment, which was co-sponsored by several Senate colleagues, was not permitted to be offered or to be voted upon.

https://freegovinfo.info/taxonomy/term/225

In Feb. 2010 congress passed a 1 year extension on 3 provisions of the Patriot Act just hours before they were to expire . They were ...

Quote:
•Reauthorized Section 206, the "roving wiretap" provision that allows the FBI to wiretap a phone without having to provide the target's name or even phone number. And unlike other law enforcement agencies, the FBI doesn't even have to get permission to tap the specific phone before they tap it

Quote:
•Reauthorized Section 6001, a.k.a. the "lone wolf" provision. Section 6001 authorizes the government to get secret surveillance orders against individuals who are not associated with any international terrorist group or foreign nation.

Quote:
•Reauthorized Section 215, a.k.a. the "library provision": Section 215 lowers the bar on the standard of proof needed to get a court order to access private info. Before Patriot, “specific and articulable facts” showing that the target of surveillance was the agent of a foreign power was required. After Patriot, Section 215 allows the FBI to only claim that the items or information sought is relevant to an investigation. That means the person being surveilled doesn't necessarily have to be the target of the investigation or even be suspected of involvement in terrorism.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/national-security/congress-drops-ball-upgrading-patriot-protections

And now in 2011 we have a 4 year extension .

Google these words

lone wolf

Section 215

gag order

National Security Letter NSL's

Then read the First and Forth Amendments....

First Amendment
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Fourth Amendment -

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Notice anything ?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#14New Post! May 29, 2011 @ 00:42:24
@hoppy Said

My letters and articles got published in newspapers and magazines. None of those are here.

So you did not speak out on Bush here while he was in office?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#15New Post! May 29, 2011 @ 00:43:24
@white_swan53 Said

Can you hear that ??
baa baa baa baa
It's the sheepeoples saying it's okay to allow the government to ignore our right to privacy baa baa baa baa, heck we don't mind that our government ignores our Constitution baa baa baa baa We feel safer when the government is secretly breaking our laws baa baa baa baa It's true don't you know, what our government keeps us from knowing is for our own good baa baa baa baa
etc etc,etc ...

And your posts here at TFS stating this when created under and extended during Bush?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs