Politics

Obama on black lives matter and Cops

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...14 15 16 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Apr 29, 2016 @ 05:25:51
I found these two articles in the same newspaper . The article reporting on Obama speaking to a group of police chiefs in Chicago is from October of 2015 .
He talked about the high crime rates in the black communities " black on black crime " , he spoke about how tough it is being a cop and how often a cop is expected to make snap decisions under dangerous conditions and how police "should not receive nearly so much blame."
It is a pretty long read , here is a few paragraphs from the article .

Obama: Police Are 'Scapegoats' for Broader Failures of Society

Quote:
The president was strongly supportive of law enforcement: “In you, we often see America at its best. You don’t just protect us from each other, you build a foundation so that we can trust each other and rely on each other.” He said that falling crime rates did not mean that minority concerns about the police could be brushed aside, but he said that police should not receive nearly so much blame.

“Too often, law enforcement gets scapegoated for broader failures of our society and our criminal-justice system,” he said. “You do your job with distinction no matter the challenges you face. But we can’t expect you to contain and control problems that the rest of us aren’t willing to face or do anything about‚ problems ranging from substandard education to a shortage of jobs and opportunity, an absence of drug-treatment programs, and laws that result in it being easier in too many neighborhoods for a young person to purchase a gun than a book.”

Nor did Obama shy away from discussing the high rates of crime in black communities—“black-on-black crime” and issues in African American communities that he is sometimes (unconvincingly) accused of overlooking. Chicago, where black communities have seen extremely high violent crime in the last few years, was a natural place to discuss this. “Our divides are not as deep as some would suggest,” he said. “I don’t know anyone in the minority community who doesn’t want strong effective law enforcement.”

“Too often, law enforcement gets scapegoated for broader failures of our society and our criminal-justice system.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/10/obama-police-chief-chicago-scapegoat-black-lives-matter/412717/

In this article Obama defends the black lives matter activists while at the same time reminding them that the police have a tough job to do and they all should work together with police .
Here is a couple of paragraphs from the article. There is a link to a video of his speech in the article.

President Obama Defends Black Lives Matter

Quote:
I want to drive home one point and that is the relationship between race and the criminal-justice system because this is sometimes where politics intrudes. Black Lives Matter is a social media movement that has tried to gel around Ferguson and the Eric Garner case and some other cases that came up, and very rapidly it was posited as being in opposition to the police. And sometimes like any of these loose organizations, some people pop off and say dumb things.

And it’s incumbent then upon the activists to also take seriously the tough job that police have. And that’s one of the things that the post-Ferguson task force did. We had activists who were marching in Ferguson with police chiefs and law enforcement, sitting down and hearing this stuff out. And just assuming good faith in other people, going to the issue of people being cynical, I think is important. I’ve rarely gotten something accomplished assuming the worst in other people. Usually it works better if I assume the best. I just wanted to make that point.

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2015/10/obama-defends-black-lives-matter/412066/

I'm hoping for a discussion of the two articles.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#2New Post! Apr 29, 2016 @ 19:01:32
Nothing is rarely as 'it seems' to be.

Both articles 'seem' to have him supporting our law enforcement.

What's his 'intended' message, as you see it?

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! Apr 29, 2016 @ 23:00:03
@DuLu Said

Nothing is rarely as 'it seems' to be.

Both articles 'seem' to have him supporting our law enforcement.

What's his 'intended' message, as you see it?

It would seem that Obama isn't real impressed with some of black lives matter activists and their way of doing things . That's what I get from the articles I have seen specifically reporting on Obama and the topic .
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#4New Post! Apr 29, 2016 @ 23:19:40
I'm gonna start referring to it as "AALM"

And start a new movement: MLM or OLM - 'my life matters',
or 'our lives matter'. or even, DLM (DuLu's life matters).

****In a TGIF mode for now --

@white_swan53 Said

It would seem that Obama isn't real impressed with some of black lives matter activists and their way of doing things . That's what I get from the articles I have seen specifically reporting on Obama and the topic .
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#5New Post! Apr 30, 2016 @ 18:12:03
We all should heed President Obama's words. They are poignant, honest, & insightful. What we need to do to evolve & progress.

n/a, New Mexico
#6New Post! Apr 30, 2016 @ 18:27:27
In the article where Obama is speaking to the chief's ,Obama says it's okay for him to show his full support for cops since he's not running for re election . I'm not real sure how to take that statement. I wonder , does he mean he supports the cops and the tough job they have to do , but wouldn't say so if he was looking to be re elected ?

n/a, New Mexico
#7New Post! Apr 30, 2016 @ 18:56:43
@shinobinoz Said

We all should heed President Obama's words. They are poignant, honest, & insightful. What we need to do to evolve & progress.

I agree that what he says sounds good .
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#8New Post! Apr 30, 2016 @ 23:35:03
@white_swan53 Said

In the article where Obama is speaking to the chief's ,Obama says it's okay for him to show his full support for cops since he's not running for re election . I'm not real sure how to take that statement. I wonder , does he mean he supports the cops and the tough job they have to do , but wouldn't say so if he was looking to be re elected ?

He touched upon the various issues from all sides of this issue. I think he was just saying that he can do so without it being a distraction or just fuel for fodder that would have been the case prior to this point.
After speaking about the need for the minority communities to continue to try to make badly needed changes he said.
"Obama also blamed the media for focusing on “the sensational and the controversial.” He added: “The countless acts of effective police work rarely make it on the evening news.” And he said that every profession has bad actors, not just law enforcement, though he criticized the impulse to “close ranks” when police come under scrutiny.

Even the harsher parts of the speech were fairly tame. “We’ve got to resist the false trap that says either there should be no accountability for police, or that every police officer is suspect, no matter what they do,” he said, delivering to the coup de grace to what must be a straw man: “Neither of these things can be right.” Indeed.

Obama joked that “before I had a motorcade,” he would sometimes get pulled over by the police. “Most of the time I got a ticket, I deserved it. I knew why I was pulled over. But there were times when I didn’t,” he said, adding that many African Americans felt the same way. “The data shows that this is not an aberration. It doesn’t mean each case is a problem. It means that when you aggregate all the cases and you look at it, you've got to say that there’s some racial bias in the system.”"
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#9New Post! May 01, 2016 @ 01:32:04
@white_swan53 Said

IMO...since I have been his supporter for day one. In fact, he has NEVER said anywhere I can find, when president Obama didn't give police officers his support! Well except when they MURDER out UNARMED citizens! And of course you continually bash me for not having comprehension skills! LMAO @you Yet you can't even grasp what your president is saying!

n/a, New Mexico
#10New Post! May 01, 2016 @ 01:32:58
@DuLu Said

I like the MLM idea a lot, with that as a logo the race of whoever was saying wouldn't matter and it would be factual .

Chicago, Illinois
#11New Post! May 01, 2016 @ 01:43:14
@shinobinoz Said

He touched upon the various issues from all sides of this issue. I think he was just saying that he can do so without it being a distraction or just fuel for fodder that would have been the case prior to this point.
After speaking about the need for the minority communities to continue to try to make badly needed changes he said.
"Obama also blamed the media for focusing on “the sensational and the controversial.” He added: “The countless acts of effective police work rarely make it on the evening news.” And he said that every profession has bad actors, not just law enforcement, though he criticized the impulse to “close ranks” when police come under scrutiny.

Even the harsher parts of the speech were fairly tame. “We’ve got to resist the false trap that says either there should be no accountability for police, or that every police officer is suspect, no matter what they do,” he said, delivering to the coup de grace to what must be a straw man: “Neither of these things can be right.” Indeed.

Obama joked that “before I had a motorcade,” he would sometimes get pulled over by the police. “Most of the time I got a ticket, I deserved it. I knew why I was pulled over. But there were times when I didn’t,” he said, adding that many African Americans felt the same way. “The data shows that this is not an aberration. It doesn’t mean each case is a problem. It means that when you aggregate all the cases and you look at it, you've got to say that there’s some racial bias in the system.”"

Brother you have a great patience for those deniers & those who simply can not or seem to not want to educate themselves on anything that goes against what they have been brainwashed about this issue! IMO I suppose some may believe it will go away & police abuse of it's citizens they are PAID to serve & protect is most often justified when it is against UNARMED black Americans & other non-whites! Well that's my story & i'm sticking to it!

Chicago, Illinois
#12New Post! May 01, 2016 @ 01:53:46
@white_swan53 Said

I found these two articles in the same newspaper . The article reporting on Obama speaking to a group of police chiefs in Chicago is from October of 2015 .
He talked about the high crime rates in the black communities " black on black crime " , he spoke about how tough it is being a cop and how often a cop is expected to make snap decisions under dangerous conditions and how police "should not receive nearly so much blame."
It is a pretty long read , here is a few paragraphs from the article .

Obama: Police Are 'Scapegoats' for Broader Failures of Society

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/10/obama-police-chief-chicago-scapegoat-black-lives-matter/412717/

In this article Obama defends the black lives matter activists while at the same time reminding them that the police have a tough job to do and they all should work together with police .
Here is a couple of paragraphs from the article. There is a link to a video of his speech in the article.

President Obama Defends Black Lives Matter

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2015/10/obama-defends-black-lives-matter/412066/

I'm hoping for a discussion of the two articles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/04/23/Obama-counsels-black-lives-matter-activists-you-cant-just-keep-on-yelling/ LONDON — President Obama, speaking to young activists and leaders at a town hall meeting here Saturday, offered some unsolicited guidance to those pressing for change back home and had some tough words for the Black Lives Matter movement.

The president was asked about the social movements that made him change his mind about issues in the White House. He credited the campaign for marriage equality for gay Americans for leading him to reverse his position, and then he pivoted to the Black Lives Matter movement.

The young black activists have been “really effective in bringing attention to problems” of the criminal justice system and police violence, Obama said.

[Black Lives Matter and America’s long history of resisting civil rights protesters]

But he cautioned that the group’s leaders had been too dismissive of elected officials. “Once you’ve highlighted an issue and brought it to people’s attention … then you can't just keep on yelling at them. And you can't refuse to meet because that might compromise the purity of your position,” Obama said. And I for one, think he's 100% correct! I agree with him on this! Tell em' PREZ! I did post a thread the other day on this! Notice what president Obama's suggesting to the #BlackLivesMatter activists?

Chicago, Illinois
#13New Post! May 01, 2016 @ 01:59:55
@DuLu Said

SMH........ Thank God I was taught my both my loving parents...that ALL lives matter! But this whole issue isn't about ALL lives mattering. Because it's a FACT that when this not so great nation was founded by lazy a** slave owning founders....black lives didn't matter to them did they? WTF?

n/a, New Mexico
#14New Post! May 01, 2016 @ 02:02:23
@Spinkiegirl Said

IMO...since I have been his supporter for day one. In fact, he has NEVER said anywhere I can find, when president Obama didn't give police officers his support! Well except when they MURDER out UNARMED citizens! And of course you continually bash me for not having comprehension skills! LMAO @you Yet you can't even grasp what your president is saying!

Wow you really do have problems with reading comprehension don't you .
Go back and read what I posted ,,,
I did not say I didn't understand what he said , what I did say is,
I wonder , does he mean he supports the cops and the tough job they have to do , but wouldn't say so if he was looking to be re elected ?

So which is it 'NEVER' or 'except when' ? (You can't have it both ways .)

Chicago, Illinois
#15New Post! May 01, 2016 @ 02:55:04
@white_swan53 Said

Wow you really do have problems with reading comprehension don't you .
Go back and read what I posted ,,,
I did not say I didn't understand what he said , what I did say is,
I wonder , does he mean he supports the cops and the tough job they have to do , but wouldn't say so if he was looking to be re elected ?

So which is it 'NEVER' or 'except when' ? (You can't have it both ways .)

Oh but yes I can have it both ways.......I always have! It's probably that bi-racial thingy I was born & Blessed with! So it appears since you posted about it a second time.......IMO it's you "with reading comprehension" and not I!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...14 15 16 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs