The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Now that we don’t need Congress anymore...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#16New Post! Feb 17, 2019 @ 01:05:15
@mrmhead Said

Yes

Any ideas of how to reduce, or stop it?
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#17New Post! Feb 17, 2019 @ 01:26:57
@Cpat92 Said

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll answer.

1. We will never be able to stop it 100%. We need to accept that. However, we can target near 0% as a goal.

2. We can reduce it by way of:

> Education. By education I mean by starting at a young and and continuing reenforcing through out life a variety of things that range from

> mental health care, including giving Doctors the right & responsibility to report threats

> destigmatizing mental illness

> reducing bulling in schools and society in general, also by way of education, social institutions, family, even religion

> increasing firearms regulations (and I am not talking about repealing or undermining the 2nd Amendment, but rather things like firearms licensing, training, and blocking purchasing)

> acknowledging that laws are not about deterrence but are about punishment.

> the NRA, and other firearms groups, could be instrumental in developing a plan to build a culture of responsible gun ownership.

> gun owners need to acknowledge that there is in fact no viable nor substantial effort by our government to take away their guns (not that they should not remain vigilant...one should never fully trust a government)

> we could examine a learn from countries like Switzerland

> as part of all this we could require 100% conscription of ALL U.S. citizens into either the U.S. Military or Civil Service, which would also include all kinds of training in social responsibility including firearm safety.

> There are probably many other things, but education is the most important.

Will we still have shootings? Yes.

Can we reduce them? I think Yes.

Note: Anyone of my ideas listed above can be shot down. However, as part of a comprehensive plan (that would also include many other aspects) I think my ideas are a valid starting point.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#18New Post! Feb 17, 2019 @ 05:54:49
@chaski Said

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll answer.

1. We will never be able to stop it 100%. We need to accept that. However, we can target near 0% as a goal.

2. We can reduce it by way of:

> Education. By education I mean by starting at a young and and continuing reenforcing through out life a variety of things that range from

> mental health care, including giving Doctors the right & responsibility to report threats

> destigmatizing mental illness

> reducing bulling in schools and society in general, also by way of education, social institutions, family, even religion

> increasing firearms regulations (and I am not talking about repealing or undermining the 2nd Amendment, but rather things like firearms licensing, training, and blocking purchasing)

> acknowledging that laws are not about deterrence but are about punishment.

> the NRA, and other firearms groups, could be instrumental in developing a plan to build a culture of responsible gun ownership.

> gun owners need to acknowledge that there is in fact no viable nor substantial effort by our government to take away their guns (not that they should not remain vigilant...one should never fully trust a government)

> we could examine a learn from countries like Switzerland

> as part of all this we could require 100% conscription of ALL U.S. citizens into either the U.S. Military or Civil Service, which would also include all kinds of training in social responsibility including firearm safety.

> There are probably many other things, but education is the most important.

Will we still have shootings? Yes.

Can we reduce them? I think Yes.

Note: Anyone of my ideas listed above can be shot down. However, as part of a comprehensive plan (that would also include many other aspects) I think my ideas are a valid starting point.

Now these are some of the best reasons I have heard.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#19New Post! Feb 17, 2019 @ 16:10:51
@Cpat92 Said

Now these are some of the best reasons I have heard.

And as a side note: (Sorry for the verbose response)

I own firearms. Some are for "collecting" (example: Civil War era); some are for "fun" (i.e. shooting at a range); some for hunting (though I don't hunt with a gun any more, I hunt with my camera); some are (arguably) for protection.

> I have no problem with them being registered.
> I have no problem with having my background checked.
> The shooting ranges I go to require proof of safety training.
> I "qualified" with my firearms for over 26 years, now there is no "requirement" but I keep up proficiency.
> I have them locked up at all times.
> I am emergency responder 1st Aid/CPR qualified... well, I am EMT & Wilderness 1st Aid trained though my certificates expired a year or so ago.

> etc

I realize that not everyone can have all that

But just think if all everyone was required to at least have a background check before purchasing a firearm, all shooting ranges required safety training & a basic "qualifying" course, trigger locks were required with purchase of firearm, and basic 1st aid/CPR was a Middle School & High School requirement... & (maybe) schools at all levels required some basic emergency find cover response training...

Would everyone lock up their guns? Probably not, but many would.

Would everyone always be prepared to respond? No, but it has been proven that when the proverbial s*** hits the fan, training often kicks in.

Would it stop nuts from going on the rampage? No... but it might reduce some of the shootings and/or injuries and/or deaths.

Would it stop criminals from obtaining firearms? No... but that wouldn't be the point anyway. Criminals will do what they will do, HOWEVER if they are caught they get extra punishment and that is the best a law can do.

etc
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#20New Post! Feb 17, 2019 @ 19:57:51
@Cpat92 Said

Like I have any hope of a comparable answer after that...

How about ....

Fly a Big Magnet all over the United States sucking up all the guns so nobody will have them any more!
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#21New Post! Feb 17, 2019 @ 20:36:06
@mrmhead Said

Like I have any hope of a comparable answer after that...

How about ....

Fly a Big Magnet all over the United States sucking up all the guns so nobody will have them any more!

I was going to post: REPEAL THE 2ND AMENDMENT!

But some people around here can't take a joke.
Ghyda On February 11, 2020

Anaheim, California
#22New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 01:37:57
Actually, the First Amendment repealed Article One of the Constitution so the Congress became obsolete during the Washington Administration.

It says, "Congress shall make no law ..."
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#23New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 01:40:07
@Ghyda Said

Actually, the First Amendment repealed Article One of the Constitution so the Congress became obsolete during the Washington Administration.

It says, "Congress shall make no law ..."

Funny.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs