Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 18:08:57
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-15743958

I mean seriously? First they introduce minimum pricing, then they decide we can't buy alcohol after 10pm and now they want to ban us from having a tinny on a train!? What next? Why do the bloody Nats have such a problem with alcohol?

Could you imagine going to an away match without a couple of bevvies on the way? It wouldn't be right. Scottish football is suffering enough because of these Nat clowns, now they want to do this.

Grr. f***ing nanny state. I'm becoming increasingly liberal in my old age.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#2New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 18:10:31
@jmo Said

I mean seriously? First they introduce minimum pricing, then they decide we can't buy alcohol after 10pm and now they want to ban us from having a tinny on a train!? What next? Why do the bloody Nats have such a problem with alcohol?

Could you imagine going to an away match without a couple of bevvies on the way? It wouldn't be right. Scottish football is suffering enough because of these Nat clowns, now they want to do this.

WTF's a "tinny"?
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#3New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 18:19:01
@hoppy Said

WTF's a "tinny"?

Think can, as in tin-can... or can-o-beer. It's so forward-thinking that it sounds backwards!
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#4New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 18:48:11
Shows how much I know, I thought this was already the case.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 19:00:24
You can't drink on buses here but that doesn't stop anyone.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 19:18:48
@jmo Said

I think the problems in Scottish football run a bit deeper than having a couple of scoops on the train.

I think it's part of a general drive to reduce alcohol consumption throughout Scotland and if the perception of Scotland as a nation of drunks is half as true as some think it is, then it's a problem the Scottish parliament needs to address vigorously.

On its own, banning alcohol on trains probably wouldn't achieve much, but as part of a strategically planned programme of reducing alcohol consumption throughout the mass of the population it may contribute to the general health and well being of all.

jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#7New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 19:38:12
The problems in Scotland with regards to alcohol have nothing to do with people drinking on trains. The Government are just planning to do this to keep up their reputation on being tough on alcohol, they are trying to demonise it in the same way they demonised smoking.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#8New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 19:46:39
I also thought that this was already prohibited in the UK.Might be better if they could introduce some kind of limit to how much could be purchased on the train and ban people bringing their own..a voucher system or something.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#9New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 20:01:12
Or they could just leave train drinkers alone.

It's folk drinking themselves to death in pubs and clubs that is the problem, not folk on trains.

I just want to drink without the government getting all moany and s***ty about it. Yes I drink too much, I also eat too much s***e food but they aren't banning pizzas on trains.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#10New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 21:04:47
@jmo Said

It's folk drinking themselves to death in pubs and clubs that is the problem, not folk on trains.

Some people don't like to go to pubs to do their getting drunk, but actually prefer trains, and such public places where they can make a nuissance of themselves.

Not to mention, more times than not, when people get even a little bit of drink in them, they are more apt to say things to others that they normally wouldn't; making life miserable for those who (in some cases have no choice but to ride public transit) have to be around them.
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#11New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 21:14:20
It's public transportation. The government can make whatever rules they want to if you are using their trains. If you want to drink while you are getting around drive your own car, then you can do whatever you want.
tom On March 16, 2023
i love .....

Notlongagoinaplacenotfaraway,
#12New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 21:27:56
not currently illegal to drink on trains, hell virgin sell you the booze themselves(at a massive mark up of course) however some train companies have different rules. Also watch out, there are numourous byelaws on the railway so if you break one you can get arrested by btp, or fined by every man and his dog
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 21:28:21
@jmo Said

Or they could just leave train drinkers alone.

I just want to drink without the government getting all moany and s***ty about it. Yes I drink too much, I also eat too much s***e food but they aren't banning pizzas on trains.

Eating a pizza doesn't affect you as behaviourally as drinking several pints of heavy on the train. Some individuals... sports fans to the fore.... are known to get punchy when they've got alcohol inside them, especially if their team has just been humped.

I repeat what I said before... if this ban is part of an overall strategy intended for the well being of the population as a whole, then it can be argued that there are beneficial effects. The denigration of the personal liberties of football supporters is another argument.

As with all things, individuals should have the freedom to enjoy themselves, but should matters get out of hand or the metaphorical "lines" be crossed, then those responsible should be punished appropriately.

Another relevant question, Geoff..... are the railways in Scotland subsidised out of public funds..? If they are, then the government has every right to dictate the terms and conditions to which users of that service are subject.

Pubs and clubs are a different matter. They aren't subsidised by the taxpayer, although in terms of the "overall strategy" to improve the health of the populace, there are some interesting thoughts that spring to mind there.

treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 21:49:59
Its against the law to drink your own alcohol on London Transport. Its ok if you buy it on the train from the train bar or trolley slut. But metropolitan trains have no bar or trolley slut, its only the trains that go for more than 30 miles or so that have a bar or booze on board.

Now it depends on how you go about these things. If you are in a gang of men all passing round cans of beer and being loud and chanting and generally a bit menacing then they can throw you off for drinking.

However if you are a couple headed out of town for a romantic night or weekend and happen to slip a bottle of wine in your bag then chances are you will be left alone.

There was a massive party on the London Underground the day before the ban came into effect which was organised on Facebook and got madly out of hand and thus the powers that be declared that this proves they did the right thing to stop the "lager lout" mentality.

I must admit, coming home from London late at night and sharing a carriage with a very drunk and violent man is quite scary. Now we just have the crackheads and skagheads and coke fiends to deal with.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#15New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 22:00:40
People like to drink on trains and the vast majority of train journeys in this country are so small it would be almost impossible to get drunk on a single train journey.

Most drunk people who are on a train where drinking before they got on the train, the actual beer or two beers it's possible to drink traveling on a train here is a minimal problem, and there are already drink bans on trains when they expect football traffic.

Walk down any high street in Scotland on a Friday night and that is where the trouble is, not people enjoying a drink whilst traveling home after a shift at work, or having a couple of bevies before going to a gig.

Train journeys are already miserable enough with the fares they charge (I can get from Edinburgh to London cheaper than Edinburgh to Aberdeen for example due to First Scotrail's annoying pricing), depriving us of alcohol just takes it a step too far.

I also think it would be weird standing drinking a can as you walk towards the train station perfectly legally, then throwing it away so you can board a train.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs