Not legalizing pot makes no sense!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...10 11 12
DickieBell On January 18, 2010

Deleted

14AYSTACK!, California
#166New Post! Sep 01, 2009 @ 07:45:41
Don't get me wrong, I am a total pothead, but the full out legalization, de-criminalization, and marketing of weed isn't the very best idea. Medicinal marijuana works, but it shouldn't be anymore than that. The way it is is regulated works and does make money, because they supply patients with affordable marijuana. The only people who make money off of pot are the grower and the dispensary (or street dealer.) But totally legalize it for all and market it, and you have taxes, believe me the government will put quite a hefty tax on it. The growers will hire workers, and they need to get paid, and there will be taxes on them. There will be vendors, buyers, middle men... So many new expenses will be brought on the product that it won't be available for those who really need it. Cancer patients that are already paying for a lot of chemo will find that their favorite form of relief from the side effects costs way too much to be of any help to them. And then there's the dealers. Many are now getting their product from dispensaries, paying taxes on it, and in turn selling it on the streets, then returning the profits to the economy to be taxed yet again at any local store the dealer may go to. Most drug dealers can't keep jobs, but they still spend money. Taking a good chunk of their income away from them will leave a little less money floating around our economy. Medicinal marijuana and dispensaries are the way to go. All we need is the federal laws to change, or the classification of marijuana to be changed to Schedule C that is, making it an approved form of treatment and medication. And for dispensaries to be a bit more regulated. Sure it brings in some good taxes, but any industry that's not federally legal will always be a little crooked. The nationwide existence of medicinal marijuana dispensaries can and will boost the economy, but we have to let go of this pipe dream of weed being completely legal and available for anyone and everyone.
tippy2dippy On October 01, 2009

newnan, Georgia
#167New Post! Sep 01, 2009 @ 17:30:04
The only reason I dont want it legalized is because the thought of it being taxed saddens me tremendously
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#168New Post! Sep 01, 2009 @ 20:18:29
@d* **ieBell Said

Don't get me wrong, I am a total pothead, but the full out legalization, de-criminalization, and marketing of weed isn't the very best idea. Medicinal marijuana works, but it shouldn't be anymore than that. The way it is is regulated works and does make money, because they supply patients with affordable marijuana. The only people who make money off of pot are the grower and the dispensary (or street dealer.) But totally legalize it for all and market it, and you have taxes, believe me the government will put quite a hefty tax on it. The growers will hire workers, and they need to get paid, and there will be taxes on them. There will be vendors, buyers, middle men... So many new expenses will be brought on the product that it won't be available for those who really need it. Cancer patients that are already paying for a lot of chemo will find that their favorite form of relief from the side effects costs way too much to be of any help to them. And then there's the dealers. Many are now getting their product from dispensaries, paying taxes on it, and in turn selling it on the streets, then returning the profits to the economy to be taxed yet again at any local store the dealer may go to. Most drug dealers can't keep jobs, but they still spend money. Taking a good chunk of their income away from them will leave a little less money floating around our economy. Medicinal marijuana and dispensaries are the way to go. All we need is the federal laws to change, or the classification of marijuana to be changed to Schedule C that is, making it an approved form of treatment and medication. And for dispensaries to be a bit more regulated. Sure it brings in some good taxes, but any industry that's not federally legal will always be a little crooked. The nationwide existence of medicinal marijuana dispensaries can and will boost the economy, but we have to let go of this pipe dream of weed being completely legal and available for anyone and everyone.

I guess that's right. Look at what they do with tobacco and liquor.
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#169New Post! Sep 01, 2009 @ 22:11:32
1: I ask those who claim smoko causes problems:
What of those societies or cultures where cannabis has been in constant use for centuries, such as the Middle East and Asia, if it is so harmful, surely we'd see the evidence written large there?
2:https://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/node/67
https://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=5490
Two sources of legitimate scientific over-view, reputable studies listed, scientific sources given, all you could want, if you want to achieve a balanced view.
Also consider this, the Netherlands, with it's ready access to smoko, has the lowest number of hard-drug users in Europe, php, and whereas the average age of junkies elsewhere is in the 20's, in the Neth' it's in the 40's, indicating most of them became addicted before the softer laws were introduced, and precious few have since, rather destroying the gateway-drug theory.
3: For the last century western governments, religious groups, and vested interests have spent literally millions upon millions attempting to prove it's harmful nature, and have failed completely, relying on vague statistical models and "psychiatric evaluations".
Given the level of our scientific knowledge these days, if there had been any truth to it, surely it would have been found by NOW?
amelie3 On March 07, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#170New Post! Sep 04, 2009 @ 05:55:44
@Marcussextus Said

For the last century western governments, religious groups, and vested interests have spent literally millions upon millions attempting to prove it's harmful nature, and have failed completely, relying on vague statistical models and "psychiatric evaluations".
Given the level of our scientific knowledge these days, if there had been any truth to it, surely it would have been found by NOW?

It's hard to do a respected double blinded controlled study on what is considered to be a harmful substance in many countries.

I don't think the lack of evidence is about our knowledge, but about the fact that it would be unenthical to do the trial.

To do a respected study on the effects of marijuana (legalities aside)you would need 2 big groups of people - one on placebo and one on hashish. The problem for bias in the study starts there. It would quickly be evident to the control group that they were not smoking dope.

I know you've read a lot of clinical papers Marcus. Take a look at the Cochrane library review sometime you get a chance and tell me if you can find anymore than the 3 studies I have there. I'm surprised the Cochrane library hasn't investigated cannibis more.

Adelaide, Australia
#171New Post! Sep 04, 2009 @ 06:25:53
@amelie3 Said

It's hard to do a respected double blinded controlled study on what is considered to be a harmful substance in many countries.

I don't think the lack of evidence is about our knowledge, but about the fact that it would be unenthical to do the trial.

To do a respected study on the effects of marijuana (legalities aside)you would need 2 big groups of people - one on placebo and one on hashish. The problem for bias in the study starts there. It would quickly be evident to the control group that they were not smoking dope.

I know you've read a lot of clinical papers Marcus. Take a look at the Cochrane library review sometime you get a chance and tell me if you can find anymore than the 3 studies I have there. I'm surprised the Cochrane library hasn't investigated cannibis more.

On that point, I've always wondered why they don't do the definitive studies in the Netherlands or any one of the non-caucasian countries where it's use is culturally tolerated, Yemen, UAE, Saudi Arabia etc?
I'll have a look at the CL, let you know.
amelie3 On March 07, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#172New Post! Sep 04, 2009 @ 06:29:23
@Marcussextus Said

On that point, I've always wondered why they don't do the definitive studies in the Netherlands or any one of the non-caucasian countries where it's use is culturally tolerated, Yemen, UAE, Saudi Arabia etc?
I'll have a look at the CL, let you know.

Yes. The information in those countries should be gathered. It's the most useful info we have and are likely to have whilst it remains illegal elsewhere. Perhaps someone could do a meta analysis of it all. I guess the question is, who would do it and who would be paid to do it?

Adelaide, Australia
#173New Post! Sep 04, 2009 @ 06:35:42
Strewth, you'd HAVE to include a huge range of people and monitors just to try and avoid unconscious or deliberate bias, but it's not without the bounds of possibility, just not in the foreseeable future I'm afraid, IMHO
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...10 11 12

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs