Sociology

Nostalgia

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
amirali_hatef On September 10, 2011

Tehran, Iran
#1New Post! Jul 28, 2011 @ 21:12:29
Hello everyone
I'm an artist and i'm researching about nostalgia so i can paint about it. and i would use any information you guys give me. so i'm gonna start with these question.
1. what are the causes that make some generations of people having nostalgia experience? and are the causes mostly connected with the past or present?
2.does it have anything to do with searching for identity or meaning? and if it has, what causes not having identity or meaning in a group of people with almost same ages?
any other information is welcome to.
thanks
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 28, 2011 @ 21:16:53
I honestly think we are nostalgic for happiness. We go through times where maybe we have no responsibility or we just fell in love or we just started a family and although tough at the time we tend to look back and only see the good things.

I think for some people it does have to do with identity or meaning but for the majority it is not. Some people just get into an era with the fashion, music or whatever and stay there. Some people move on but have a yearning to go back.

Nostalgia is actually harmful sometimes.

Tehran, Iran
#3New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 10:37:02
well sometimes it's about happiness of the past. but i guess most of the times it's not.
i'm living in Iran and my country started a war with iraq in 1980 for 8 years. and all the people are nostalgic for that time but the war time was not a happy time.
I read in a psychological book that nostalgia causes by intrapersonal, social and environmental stimuli and a minimal comparison of past with present.
what i mostly need to know are those social and environmental stimuli
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#4New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 10:45:37
Similar to what Treebs said - it is something that bring up a past memory where you were at peace with yourself when you last witnessed that piece of art.

For instance, it might sound cheesy but Laura Branigan's "Gloria" brings me back to riding in the back seat of my parents' car looking out the window into the dark hills we were driving through during the middle of winter but I was still wrapped up warm in the back seat with my favourite chewed up stuffed animal.

I'm also pretty hyped up on the video game "Ys: The Ark of Napishtim" because I was hopped up on painkillers through the whole duration of it.

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 10:49:00
@amirali_hatef Said

well sometimes it's about happiness of the past. but i guess most of the times it's not.
i'm living in Iran and my country started a war with iraq in 1980 for 8 years. and all the people are nostalgic for that time but the war time was not a happy time.
I read in a psychological book that nostalgia causes by intrapersonal, social and environmental stimuli and a minimal comparison of past with present.
what i mostly need to know are those social and environmental stimuli

During the war they may have been huddled up warm and safe during it and even though there was something terrible going on it reinforced that reverence for bunkering down and staying low.

In my above description those hills out in the middle of nowhere and cold winter air where not very pleasant but helped to make me appreciate being wrapped up in the backseat of that warm car.

, New Zealand
#6New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 10:49:37
Ah ha! Painkillers - I was in pain but much more appreciative of the affect of the painkillers during it.

Tehran, Iran
#7New Post! Jul 29, 2011 @ 12:18:17
There's something else that i understand about nostalgia. it,s kind of epidemic. I know many people here who born in 1987, 1988,1989 or even 90s but they are nostalgic for 80s.
They are nostalgic for the war time because other people are and it's the best thing to be nostalgic for. but the question is why are they yearning for the past they didn't even exist? I know that nostalgia experience is an unconscious mind reaction but what is it that mind is reacting to?
and i also have another question. do you think nostalgia in a large amount is harmful or not? and why?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs