Abortion

Non-Christian views on abortion

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
keltara On April 13, 2006

Winchester, Kentucky
#1New Post! Apr 13, 2006 @ 15:26:42
Hi all! Im new to this site, but feel the need to tell my story. Perhaps it might make some people think.

I am 30 years old. My sister is 27. She has had two abortions in less than a year and I dont know how many more before that. It has torn my family apart.

I am a mother. I have two living children and two I lost because of a genetic disease (they were twins). When my sister told me she had had an abortion (August 2005), I was upset, disappointed and a lot of other things, but I realized I couldn't do anything about the past. I supported her the best I could and listened to her. Now, it's March and she came to me wanting 60.00 to complete the fee for another abortion. I wouldn't give it to her because I don't think abortion is right, no matter what the reason for it and I mean no matter WHAT the reason, with ONE single execption and Ill explain that later.

I'm not Christian. I haven't been since I was 18. I find the Christian church full of hypocrits (no reason to go into details why, just my opinion). I embraced the Wiccan faith about 8 years ago though. Our first and foremost "commandment" is "An Harm ye none, do as ye will." IMO, Abortion is harming not only the child, but the outcome of the entire universe.

Why? Well, first off when a woman has an abortion, she has no clue what the child will become if allowed to survive. What if that child is the one who holds the key to the cure for cancer? What if that child holds the answer to world peace, or any other scientific cure for anything inside them? The woman, by killing that child, is playing "god" by determining the fate of the world. (I put "god" in quotes because Im talking about a concept of a supreme being not any deity in particular or anything else.)

Secondly, what right does ANYONE have to say a child cannot live. Science says the term Viable means that the living thing is self-aware. Has anyone questioned a 10 week old fetus to see if it is aware that it's alive? Has anyone asked a dead baby killed by an abortion if it felt pain? I don't think so. Regardless of your opinion of abortion, I think we can all agree that if given the time to mature, the fetus/baby will be a human being at some point.

Personally, for this situation, my sister, who obviously feels NOTHING about having this done, is killing my niece or nephew because she doesnt want people in our small town gossiping about her having a child without being married. I can't get over it. She is having it done, but it's ruining my life. I can't see this being any different from her taking one of my kids or our parents out and killing them. It's been over ten years since I lost my twins, but I keep seeing their faces. Everything makes me cry about this. Maybe I just have issues, I dont know, but I've never been for abortion, I've never really cared one way or the other, and now I want to see it done away with completely because of this.

The only reason, I think, for an abortion to be performed and it be "right" is if the child will not survive anyways and the mother's life will be in danger if she tries to carry it. I cannot justify losing two people, when one could live. IMO, murder is murder no matter what (yes, I even feel this way about the death penalty). However, two lives should not be ended, when one can be saved.

My family is torn apart. I will never speak to her again. She was given the chance to have the child, at no cost to her and not having to pay any bills while carrying it, and still chose to do this. My parents are angry and disappointed because of it. They lost a grandchild. I lost my niece or nephew. My children lost their cousin. And all because of a choice she didn't HAVE to make. Abortion is a legal way to committ murder and it isnt right.

Thanks for reading
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#2New Post! Apr 13, 2006 @ 15:31:29
Well written insight there.

There's nothing in there I could disagree with, and I try to be a Christian.

Welcome to TFS. That's a great post to start you time on TFS with.
seekurbliss On January 22, 2007

Memphis, Tennessee
#4New Post! Apr 13, 2006 @ 15:41:09
You sound hurt and that's understandable BUT (isn't there always a but? lol) she, as a human, has the right to do as she (or anyone) sees best for herself.
I am obviously pro-choice but i do see people use abortions as birth control sometimes. No, i don't think it should be that way at all. As a former Labor & Delivery nurse, i had many, many patients who spontaneously aborted their child and would never have dreamed of purposely doing away with their pregnancy but that's what life throws us at times. Life is different for all.
Basically i just wanna tell you that your sister probably needs your love regardless of the choices she might make. Don't shut her out of your life just because your views differ. In my opinion, that's just as bad as the choices she's made.

williger85 On June 01, 2009

Maplewood, New Jersey
#5New Post! Apr 13, 2006 @ 15:48:30
OK not to sounds insensative but abortion is not killing a child. Its getting rid of a clump of cells if you look at it from a biological point of view. Also, there is an epidemic of unwanted kids in this countryand creativing another is not helpin things. I understand that there comes an issue of responsiblilty here but if someone knows they cant take care of a child and wants to have an abortion it should be allowed. However, it should not be abused and used as a method of birth control for those that are too lazyor dumb to put on a condom or get on the pill or something.
alljive On March 03, 2007

trondheim, Norway
#6New Post! Apr 13, 2006 @ 15:49:14
Yes. what seekurbliss said.
Or, actually I'd put it like this: "try to get over youself and care for your sister.". Without knowing your sister I'll still go out on a limb and say it's highly unlikely that this doesn't effect her.

And I do have major objections to the points you take for granted here.

But the most protruding one I really gotta ask about, are you serious about the argument with aborting the person who found the cure for cancer?
By that reasoning she might as well be aborting hitler, osama bin laden, jeffrey dahmer, manson, and so on...
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Apr 13, 2006 @ 15:52:14
There are always specific reasons personal to the woman for abortion.

I say in every single abortion thread - have your opinions but dont you dare judge another person.
ketrino_wolfgirl On October 30, 2013

Ft Worth, Texas
#8New Post! Apr 13, 2006 @ 16:22:19
How about my view?

I love abortion. If someone diesn't want a child, it should be their right to get it aborted. Simple as that. I would go on, but I don't want to type all of it.
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#9New Post! Apr 13, 2006 @ 16:27:00
@williger85 Said
OK not to sounds insensative but abortion is not killing a child. Its getting rid of a clump of cells if you look at it from a biological point of view. Also, there is an epidemic of unwanted kids in this countryand creativing another is not helpin things. I understand that there comes an issue of responsiblilty here but if someone knows they cant take care of a child and wants to have an abortion it should be allowed.

I disagree. Saying that your getting rid of a clump of cells is a little callous I think. I can cut down a tree and make furniture out of it and im a woodworker but should I kill somone and make furniture out there bones im a psychopath murderer. From a scientific point of view there both the same, im cutting and shaping large clumps of cells to make something. The differance is there are other factors involved like potential and human rights. Who really knows how big that clump has to be before it's considered human. Some will see it as getting rid of an unborn child that may or may not realize it's own existance. I see it as preventing a human from existing. Also when theysay it's the mothers choice there wrong. It's the childs choice the mother is just the vessal. Also there are more people waiting to adopt then there are children avilable so I wouldn't say theres an epidemic of unwanted children. When you come down to it abortion is just a scapegoat to justify murder for those who arenot responsible. Every child should be givin a chance who are we to decide weather a child lives or dies we as humans are not above any other humans therefore the choice should not be ours.
ketrino_wolfgirl On October 30, 2013

Ft Worth, Texas
#10New Post! Apr 13, 2006 @ 16:28:13
@williger85 Said
OK not to sounds insensative but abortion is not killing a child. Its getting rid of a clump of cells if you look at it from a biological point of view.

Uh...yeah...but they're living. My view is that if is hasn't seen daylight...you canb still kill it (this doesn't include blind things).
matthemod On December 10, 2012

Banned

Gillingham, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Apr 13, 2006 @ 16:36:29
Every woman has the right to have an abortion if they desire, it's up to them for whatever reasons. Also the welfare of the unborn child is under the responsibility of the mother to be, meaning they have say about what happens to it as the child as the child cannot possibly have any responsibility whatsoever.

There's no point thinking about "what could have been" because you're looking at the world through a biased eye, what if that child would grow up to be a serial rapist? Saying what could be does is not a viable reason for anti-abortion.

I'm not meaning to sound callous here but it is her life and she has overall say about what happens to her child, but you shouldn't let your family be separated as in the end, you are her family.
seekurbliss On January 22, 2007

Memphis, Tennessee
#12New Post! Apr 13, 2006 @ 16:38:53
@matthemod Said

I'm not meaning to sound callous here but it is her life and she has overall say about what happens to her child, but you shouldn't let your family be separated as in the end, you are her family.

Agreed!
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#13New Post! Apr 13, 2006 @ 17:01:31
Well a human is a human to me and even an unborn human has the most basic of human rights. And well the child may belong to the mother by birthright(no human can really be owned lest it be slavery) the LIFE of the child belongs to the child not the mother. The child has no responsibility at that point that much is for sure but because no 1 human can own 2 lives it's the mothers responsibility to do whatever she can to make sure the child lives. She may not have to keep it that IS a choice she has but regarding the childs life only the child can make that decision which is why abortion is wrong. The decision of ones life belong to the lifes owner there is no exception.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs