Nice Guys finish last, The truth. And being "Yourself"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 16:14:48
These are two reoccuring themes in the relationships forum. I am now going to quote Neil Strauss and de mystify what they actually mean:

WOmen arnt attracted to nice guys, they are attracted to jerks

Quote:
This is one of the oldest myths about dating. And fortunately, its inaccurate. The dating dichtomy isnt actually between nice guys and mean guys or good boys and bad boys. Its between weak guys and strong guys. Women are drawn to men who demonstrate strength, not necessarily physical strength, but the ability to make them feel safe. So if your a nice guy, you can carry on being a nice guy. But you must also be strong.
However make sure you know what nice means. Most guys who define themselves as being "Too Nice" only behave nicely because they want everybody to like them and dont want anybody to think badly of them. SO if this is you, get off your high horse. Dont mistake being fearful and weak-minded for being nice.

All I have to do is be "myself" and eventually I will meet the right woman who likes me for me

Quote:
This only works if you know exactly who you are, what your strengths are and how to convey them sucessfully. Most often, this statement is used as an excuse not to improve. What most of us present to the world isnt our true self. Its a a combination of years of bad habits and fear-based behaiviour. Our real self lies buried beneath all of the insecurities and inhabitions. So rather than just beig yourself, focus on discovering and bringing to the surface your best self.
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 18:11:37
Funny I was just reading an old thread about that today. Not all women like jerks, some are happily attracted to the guys who are more likely to treat us well. Maybe I am the oddity but we are not all the same
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 18:20:22
I disagree.

In my experience most girls like confidence, it just so happens that 'nice' guys tend not to be as confident I think.

I pretend I'm a lot more confident than I actually am and that does for me. That's in all social situations though, not just talking to girls. I've tended to find acting more confident than I feel opens doors and in a weird way actually makes me feel more confident generally.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#4New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 18:22:08
@jmo Said

I disagree.

In my experience most girls like confidence, it just so happens that 'nice' guys tend not to be as confident I think.

I pretend I'm a lot more confident than I actually am and that does for me. That's in all social situations though, not just talking to girls. I've tended to find acting more confident than I feel opens doors and in a weird way actually makes me feel more confident generally.

That's basically what he quoted was saying.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#5New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 18:26:31
@Leon Said

That's basically what he quoted was saying.

Not exactly, what he quoted suggested that strength was important, and someone trying to be liked by everyone wouldn't succeed.

You can be confident and liked by everyone, in fact I think confident people are most likely to be liked by everyone.

I say that as a confident person who is liked by everyone.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#6New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 18:29:12
@jmo Said

Not exactly, what he quoted suggested that strength was important, and someone trying to be liked by everyone wouldn't succeed.

You can be confident and liked by everyone, in fact I think confident people are most likely to be liked by everyone.

I say that as a confident person who is liked by everyone.

What's the difference? It wasn't talking about physical strength - even said that. It was talking about the kind of strength you are talking about.

Either way, you are right. Confidence is the difference. Many "nice guys" are just weak in that department.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#7New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 18:29:58
"This only works if you know exactly who you are, what your strengths are and how to convey them sucessfully."

Textbook confidence.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#8New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 18:31:37
@Leon Said

What's the difference? It wasn't talking about physical strength - even said that. It was talking about the kind of strength you are talking about.

Either way, you are right. Confidence is the difference. Many "nice guys" are just weak in that department.

Difference is that confidence is easy to bluff, whilst remaining a nervous wreck on the inside completely paranoid about the idea that someone, somewhere might dislike you.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 18:33:18
@jmo Said

I disagree.

By acting confident, you are more confident. Do it enough and you stop acting you actually become more confident. If acting more confident opens more doors for you, what have you to be un confident about.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 18:34:29
@jmo Said

Difference is that confidence is easy to bluff, whilst remaining a nervous wreck on the inside completely paranoid about the idea that someone, somewhere might dislike you.

So what if someone dislikes you. Does it make a difference in the long run. STop worrying about what everyone else thinks and be you for you.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#11New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 18:38:04
@jmo Said

Most people, it shows. You just are an exceptional actor.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#12New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 18:38:39
@townie_guy Said

By acting confident, you are more confident. Do it enough and you stop acting you actually become more confident. If acting more confident opens more doors for you, what have you to be un confident about.

This too. It goes hand in hand.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 18:40:01
@Leon Said

This too. It goes hand in hand.

Thats where my confidence comes from. I used to have none what so ever. Then by pretending to confident I became confident. Altho it wasnt really pretending. I was just "Being" confident and facing my fears.
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 18:40:43
@jmo Said

I disagree.

My guy always comes across as confident and that was the thing that made me so disinterested in him quite ironic that

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 18:42:02
@Sparklegirl Said

My guy always comes across as confident and that was the thing that made me so disinterested in him quite ironic that

Do you genrally find yourself uncomfortable around confident people?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs