Jobs & Careers

New York City Food Workers Strike

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jihadista On July 04, 2014

Deleted

Orange,
#1New Post! Dec 08, 2013 @ 01:11:00
Some time in the last couple of months, Los Angeles had a Food Workers Strike. A reporter from a local radio station, KFI, interviewed the particpants. None were food workers.

Today New York had a similar strike, which was led by a group called Fast Food Forward that’s affiliated with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).

Reporters in New York interviewed food workers. The workers said that they new nothing of the strike.

The so called strikes appear to be a way to gain support for an increase in the legal wage.

The workers themselves appear to have zero interest in the strike or the issue. I might guess that is because the turnover in the food labor force is very high. Working in fast food is an entry level job, not a career.

Fox News
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 08, 2013 @ 13:19:08
Up the workers!

Deleted

Orange,
#3New Post! Dec 08, 2013 @ 14:56:17
@yami Said

Up the workers!

I'd say you have the truth of it, and that is why the union has no success organizing the workers.

People don't take a job in a fast food restaurant with expectation that it will be a career. They "up" to something better.
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 08, 2013 @ 17:16:03
@Jihadista Said

I'd say you have the truth of it, and that is why the union has no success organizing the workers.

People don't take a job in a fast food restaurant with expectation that it will be a career. They "up" to something better.

Very true, I doubt anybody could do the job longer than six months before going insane.
For that reason, along with the hostility of the companies to unions, its impossible to unionize the workforce.

Deleted

Orange,
#5New Post! Dec 09, 2013 @ 00:12:24
@yami Said

Very true, I doubt anybody could do the job longer than six months before going insane.
For that reason, along with the hostility of the companies to unions, its impossible to unionize the workforce.

Union membership for private sector workers in the United States is around 7%, the lowest number since 1932. That's the Wikipedia number.

I have relatives who work in construction. They are in unions like carpenters or sheet metal. During the recession they took nonunion jobs. For example, my cousin the carpenter became my cousin the trencher. Carpenters have a union, but trenchers don't. Now he´s back working as a carpenter. I don´t know why one skill has a union and the other does not. I doubt that it is because of high turnover like in fast food. I think trenching could be a career. Every building begins with a trench.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#6New Post! Dec 09, 2013 @ 20:41:32
it is so unfair that a burger flipper can't raise a family flipping burgers.
and those french fry folks too.
imagine the hours spent training to know how to make french fries, then being told, you need to find a real job if you wanna make enough money to raise a family.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs