New Study: Fox News Viewers Less Informed Than Those Who Don't Watch News At

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#16New Post! Dec 14, 2011 @ 15:56:09
@hoppy Said

But they believe Obama, Pelosi, Reid, probably the tooth fairy and Santa Claus.

Binary thinking, a sure sign of mental deficiency in adults.....
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#17New Post! Dec 14, 2011 @ 15:59:41
@drman321 Said

That should be your signature.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#18New Post! Dec 14, 2011 @ 21:05:19
@drman321 Said

Is it just me, or is this statement somewhat ironic?
Not a dude.

Deleted

#19New Post! Dec 14, 2011 @ 22:04:18
@bob_the_fisherman Said

It's just you.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Dec 14, 2011 @ 22:26:51
Judging by some of the video clips of Fox online, I'm not surprised. Always gives me the impression that barking an opinion and not listening is the order of the day. Maybe that's just me though.

, Florida
#21New Post! Dec 14, 2011 @ 23:03:08
@bob_the_fisherman Said

I believe it is just you, but I am open for your explanation as to why it is ironic. I find irony the highest form of wit and do enjoy it.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#22New Post! Dec 15, 2011 @ 09:40:01
@drman321 Said

@bob_the_fisherman Said

@drman321 Said

I believe it is just you, but I am open for your explanation as to why it is ironic. I find irony the highest form of wit and do enjoy it.

Well, assuming we are referring to binary thinking in the same way, it means something along the lines of making "either/or" statements, or, employing black and white categorisations... And you say, in effect, either you do not use binary "either/or" thinking, or, you are mentally deficient...

I found this to be somewhat ironic...
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Dec 15, 2011 @ 09:55:19
gossip/propaganda = news

, Florida
#24New Post! Dec 15, 2011 @ 14:23:19
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Well, assuming we are referring to binary thinking in the same way, it means something along the lines of making "either/or" statements, or, employing black and white categorisations... And you say, in effect, either you do not use binary "either/or" thinking, or, you are mentally deficient...

Your assumption of irony is unfounded for two reasons. The first, you must realize that definition statements are not necessarily binary thinking. Binary thinking is when someone must view the world in black and white terms. To think beyond binary terms does not mean that such things do not exist. Sometimes black is just black and white is just white. Saying that binary thinking is a sign of mental deficiency in adults is making a definition statement.

The second fallacy comes from you attaching a context to the words I did not intend. I try to choose my words carefully. What I said was that it was a "sure sign" of mental deficiency, but not that the two are necessarily linked. There can certainly be mental deficients who are not binary thinkers as I am sure there are binary thinkers who are not children and are not mentally deficient. That doesn't change the fact that it is a sign.

I do enjoy the insight and thoughtfulness though. I wish it had been ironic. As I said, I find it to be the highest form of wit.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#25New Post! Dec 15, 2011 @ 14:29:00
@bob_the_fisherman Said

I was right, it was you.
Pcptrvanion On November 10, 2014

Howe, Texas
#26New Post! Dec 15, 2011 @ 18:17:31
@CausaMortis Said

https://www.infowars.com/new-study-fox-news-viewers-less-informed-than-those-who-don%E2%80%99t-watch-news-at-all/

If Fox News viewers want to be informed about current events, they might as well turn off the TV.

A poll released by Fairleigh d***inson University on Monday found that people who get their news from Fox News know significantly less about news both in the U.S. and the world than people who watch no news at all.

In a survey of 612 New Jersey natives, Fox News fans flunked questions about Egypt and Syria when compared with people who don’t watch the news. Fox viewers were 18-points less likely to know that Egyptians toppled their government and 6 points less likely to be aware that Syrians have not yet overthrown theirs.

“Because of the controls for partisanship, we know these results are not just driven by Republicans or other groups being more likely to watch Fox News,” Dan Cassino, a Fairleigh d***inson professor who served as an analyst for the poll, said in the report. “Rather, the results show us that there is something about watching Fox News that leads people to do worse on these questions that those who don’t watch any news at all.”

That's New Jersey for you.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#27New Post! Dec 15, 2011 @ 23:25:08
@drman321 Said

@drman321 Said
There can certainly be mental deficients who are not binary thinkers as I am sure there are binary thinkers who are not children and are not mentally deficient.

I guess there is logic in there somewhere - binary thinking is a "sure sign" of mental deficiency in adults, but adults that are binary thinkers are not necessarily mentally deficient... I am left wondering then, why you would make the observation at all... I must admit I read your comment as an attempt to insult Hoppy by saying that by employing binary thinking, he was, according to you, demonstrating a "sure sign" of being mentally deficient. And, as the notion of binary thinking as deficient comes from post modern 'thought' with its constant self-negating truth claims, it may well be true that I read too much into your statement.

Anyway, this is all a pointless aside... as I have a complete lack of interest in these American political threads, I studiously avoid them, and merely wondered into this one by chance.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#28New Post! Dec 15, 2011 @ 23:28:03
@someone_else Said

I was right, it was you.

, Florida
#29New Post! Dec 15, 2011 @ 23:54:56
@bob_the_fisherman Said

I guess there is logic in there somewhere - binary thinking is a "sure sign" of mental deficiency in adults, but adults that are binary thinkers are not necessarily mentally deficient... I am left wondering then, why you would make the observation at all... I must admit I read your comment as an attempt to insult Hoppy by saying that by employing binary thinking, he was, according to you, demonstrating a "sure sign" of being mentally deficient. And, as the notion of binary thinking as deficient comes from post modern 'thought' with its constant self-negating truth claims, it may well be true that I read too much into your statement.

Anyway, this is all a pointless aside... as I have a complete lack of interest in these American political threads, I studiously avoid them, and merely wondered into this one by chance.

Apology accepted.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#30New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 00:09:14
@drman321 Said

Apology accepted.

[smile]https://i.tfster.com/cache/i40.tinypic.com/fazj2d.jpg">

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply