New BBC chairman 'must quit Tories'

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 10:32:55
Quote:
Labour is demanding that Chris Patten, the Government's choice as the next chairman of the BBC, must resign from the Conservative Party and give up some of his other business and voluntary roles before he takes up the post.

Lord Patten of Barnes has been identified by the Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt as the best candidate to succeed Sir Michael Lyons as chairman of the BBC Trust and is due to appear before the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee of MPs tomorrow for a pre-appointment scrutiny hearing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/new-bbc-chairman-must-quit-tories-2236111.html

Should he? As long as his politics don't interfere with his job at the BBC what does it matter which party he supports? Lots of other people in the BBC have political affiliations, should they all have to leave any party membership they have too?

I don't think it matters he's a member of the Tory party unless he starts pushing Tory politics into BBC programming more than any other party.

What do you think?
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 11:22:35
I dont think its anything to do with Labour really but having said that how many pies does he want in on? How good a job can he do if he is busy elsewhere most of the time.

Perhaps its not about the politics and more about him dropping some other commitments maybe?
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#3New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 11:45:12
Politicians active or not shouldn't be considered for these kind of positions imo.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 13:12:14
@Wellard Said

Politicians active or not shouldn't be considered for these kind of positions imo.

I agree.

Also, I read somewhere the other day that the BBC have all of a sudden changed the wording of the spending 'cuts' to 'savings' instead. Although it's only a word, it can give a radically different interpretation of the news that would border on partiality. Saying that however, you could probably make a case for using 'cuts' beforehand.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 13:21:29
@sister_of_mercy Said

I agree.

Also, I read somewhere the other day that the BBC have all of a sudden changed the wording of the spending 'cuts' to 'savings' instead. Although it's only a word, it can give a radically different interpretation of the news that would border on partiality. Saying that however, you could probably make a case for using 'cuts' beforehand.

I was about to mention that.

I think it is on the BBC London local news the news reader used the term 'savings' rather than 'cuts' despite them officially being cuts. 'Savings' is just the buzzword.

Imo being Director-General of the BBC should carry the same rules as being part of HM Civil Service does.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 14:23:15
what is it in the simpsons they call it "a temporary refund adjustment" when they mean rasing taxes?
fractal7221 On November 08, 2012

Hubbard, Ohio
#7New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 23:11:41
@SparklyKatie Said

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/new-bbc-chairman-must-quit-tories-2236111.html

Should he? As long as his politics don't interfere with his job at the BBC what does it matter which party he supports? Lots of other people in the BBC have political affiliations, should they all have to leave any party membership they have too?

I don't think it matters he's a member of the Tory party unless he starts pushing Tory politics into BBC programming more than any other party.

What do you think?

I don't know too much about how the BBC operates. Have former Chairmen been asked to leave either Labour or Liberal Democrats?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs