Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#1New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 05:02:00
We all know people that could have this personality disorder.

It is easy to dismiss someone with a narcissistic personality disorder as a 'know it all' or 'too stubborn to just admit when they are wrong' or more often than not ' just avoid them when you hear them making statements like, ' I don't know a whole lot about **** but I'm sure someone else can't know more about the topic than I do'.

( hearing someone say something similar to this is what got me interested enough to start googling the topic)

Working with people with this disorder presents a danger in the workplace especially,because they will never admit to not knowing how to do something, when in fact they may know nothing but be convinced no one else could know more.

At the very least people with the disorder are just very annoying to try and have a conversation with and forget trying to debate any topic with them, it's pointless, futile.

Here are some insights into how a person develops this disorder.

Quote:
The narcissist has been made to feel he was never good enough. He should have been a better person, gotten higher grades, and been more successful in life. As a child, he was given a set of unattainable goals, and now he will most likely spend his entire life unsuccessfully trying to reach someone else?s goals. Yet, when you ask him about this pain, he will never, ever admit the truth. He will give the impression that he is highly accomplished at anything and everything he does. He will always be right no matter what. Even if he is wrong, he will twist the truth so that he can assign blame to anyone or anything other than himself.

https://www.lifescript.com/Soul/Self/Growth/How_To_Deal_With_Narcissistic_Behavior.aspx

Finding this info and learning that Narcissism is categorized as a personality disorder by the mental health profession and learning that few are ever diagnosed, since few go to therapy was surprising.

Additionally, learning NPD is not about self-esteem it's a 'condition' doesn't make dealing with a person with NPD or Narcissistic Personality Disorder any easier.
PaNda On January 28, 2010
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#2New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 05:24:31
@iwannano Said

It is easy to dismiss someone with a narcissistic personality disorder as a 'know it all' or 'too stubborn to just admit when they are wrong' or more often than not ' just avoid them when you hear them making statements like, ' I don't know a whole lot about **** but I'm sure someone else can't know more about the topic than I do'.

( hearing someone say something similar to this is what got me interested enough to start googling the topic)

Working with people with this disorder presents a danger in the workplace especially,because they will never admit to not knowing how to do something, when in fact they may know nothing but be convinced no one else could know more.

At the very least people with the disorder are just very annoying to try and have a conversation with and forget trying to debate any topic with them, it's pointless, futile.

Here are some insights into how a person develops this disorder.
Quote:

The narcissist has been made to feel he/she was never good enough. He/she should have been a better person, gotten higher grades, and been more successful in life.

As a child, he/she was given a set of unattainable goals, and now he/she will most likely spend his/her entire life unsuccessfully trying to reach someone else?s goals.

Yet, when you ask him/her about this pain, he/she will never, ever admit the truth. Heshe will give the impression that he/she is highly accomplished at anything and everything he/she does.

He/she will always be right no matter what. Even if he/she is wrong, he/she will twist the truth so that he/she can assign blame to anyone or anything other than himself/herself.-end quote.

link [www.lifescript.com]

Finding this info and learning that Narcissism is categorized as a personality disorder by the mental health profession and learning that few are ever diagnosed, since few go to therapy was surprising.

Additionally, learning NPD is not about self-esteem it's a 'condition' doesn't make dealing with a person with NPD or Narcissistic Personality Disorder any easier.

@iwannano Said

a 'know it all' 'too stubborn to just admit when they are wrong'

I know quite a few people like that. My dad is one of them.

@iwannano Said

I agree. My mom comes to mind.

I think it's possible that lots of people have traits, but not the disorder itself. My psychologist told me that every person has experienced mental illness at least once in life and that many have traits of all the disorders. It makes sense to me. Good post.
Allyson On January 20, 2010

Deleted

, Michigan
#3New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 05:48:46
That is very interesting

Quote:
He/she will always be right no matter what. Even if he/she is wrong, he/she will twist the truth so that he/she can assign blame to anyone or anything other than himself/herself.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#4New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 05:49:47
This part was an eye opener because all this time I've been thinking it was more of an emotional thing .
'NPD is not about self-esteem it's a 'condition' '
vekta On November 18, 2013

#5New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 05:54:33
One way I find to be very effective dealing with people with NPD is to have a depth-less relationship with them.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#6New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 05:59:27
@Allyson Said

That is very interesting

I agree , I found that whole site full of information on this topic.
@vekta Said

One way I find to be very effective dealing with people with NPD is to have a depth-less relationship with them.

do you mean a shallow relationship?
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#7New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 06:05:51
@PaNda Said

I know quite a few people like that. My dad is one of them.

I agree. My mom comes to mind.

I think it's possible that lots of people have traits, but not the disorder itself. My psychologist told me that every person has experienced mental illness at least once in life and that many have traits of all the disorders. It makes sense to me. Good post.

I have a family member I refuse to work with because he's so busy trying to be a know it all that when working cattle in a corral on foot a person could get hurt quick with his yelling and flapping arms around BS.
vekta On November 18, 2013

#8New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 06:10:57
@iwannano Said

I agree , I found that whole site full of information on this topic.

do you mean a shallow relationship?

depthless as in unstimulated, unemotional.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#9New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 06:22:08
@vekta Said

depthless as in unstimulated, unemotional.

That is a good idea until they get on my nerves and I react . I think now that I know more about their disorder when I come across a person either IRL or on line I will be reacting differently from now on.
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#10New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 06:32:03
@iwannano Said

That is a good idea until they get on my nerves and I react . I think now that I know more about their disorder when I come across a person either IRL or on line I will be reacting differently from now on.

How do you know that these people have that disorder, though? Maybe they're just really stubborn and cranky.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#11New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 06:39:25
When dealing with the few I come into contact with on a regular basis I'm just going to think to myself they have the disorder and then when I read or hear things like ' I don't know a whole lot about **** but I'm sure someone else can't know more about the topic than I do'.
I will think a bit more kindly about them and instead of acting out of irritation I will go find another thread or project to interest me.
zhutiejun On May 11, 2010

changzhou, China
#12New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 06:55:55
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#13New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 07:21:48
@zhutiejun Said

who's the hug for ?
BTW Welcome to TFS . I see your very new. Unless your really a old member with a new lease on life , that seems to be the rage here lately.
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#14New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 08:14:38
@iwannano Said

who's the hug for ?
BTW Welcome to TFS . I see your very new. Unless your really a old member with a new lease on life , that seems to be the rage here lately.

Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#15New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 09:22:39
You have described my elder brother to a T!
He's all of that, a right pain in the posterior, but I love the stupid twit anyway.
I have learnt not to dispute him, and to avoid certain topics like the plague, lol, and we mostly get along OK.
In his way he's a very loving and supportive person, just hampered by his condition, the main symptom of which is the inability to admit to a condition in the first place, catch 22.
We gave up trying to change him years ago, out of love, it was stressing him and not working anyway.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs