Mental Health

Narcissistic Personality Disorder and Suicide

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#1New Post! Aug 23, 2010 @ 16:24:43
Have you ever known anyone who was diagnosed (by a psychiatrist/psychologist) with Narcissistic Personality Disorder ? If so, have you known anyone who's attempted suicide or actually committed suicide?

I was wondering about this because narcissists have a strong sense of self importance and don't seem likely to harm themselves. I've never known anyone with that diagnosis.

I was watching a program the other night about narcissism. The doctors were doing a study after picking out people who displayed well known traits of the disorder.

They'd get the narcissists to write an essay and tell them that one of their peers (whom they'd met in the beginning of the study) graded their papers. The doctors had actually not even read the papers but randomly gave each candidate an A or a failing grade. One of them wrote, "This is the worst essay I have ever read in my life!"

The subjects were then given a set of headphones and access to volume controls. They actually thought the person who graded their papers were on the receiving end of the noise. The ones who got good grades didn't turn the volume up very loud so as not to make their peers suffer. The ones with failing grades and insults written on their papers blasted the volume as high as it could go. It was almost laughable.

Narcissism is not the same as having lots of confidence and high self esteem.

So what are your experiences with this disorder?
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#2New Post! Aug 23, 2010 @ 16:28:36
@Mysteria Said

They'd get the narcissists to write an essay and tell them that one of their peers (whom they'd met in the beginning of the study) graded their papers. The doctors had actually not even read the papers but randomly gave each candidate an A or a failing grade. One of them wrote, "This is the worst essay I have ever read in my life!"

The subjects were then given a set of headphones and access to volume controls. They actually thought the person who graded their papers were on the receiving end of the noise. The ones who got good grades didn't turn the volume up very loud so as not to make their peers suffer. The ones with failing grades and insults written on their papers blasted the volume as high as it could go. It was almost laughable.

This would seem like a typical response to many things, not just narcissism.

Beyond that, I have no idea. I don't consider my self narcissistic, prob the opposite if anything.
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#3New Post! Aug 23, 2010 @ 16:35:41
@boobagins Said

This would seem like a typical response to many things, not just narcissism.

Beyond that, I have no idea. I don't consider my self narcissistic, prob the opposite if anything.

This study was done by licensed psychiatrists. The program is called Most Evil and it airs on Investigation Discovery. The doctor who evaluates the cases is Michael Stone. He's a forensic psychiatrist.

I'm not sure what you mean unless you think some people without narcissistic personality disorder would react the same way. I think revenge is cruel even though I've considered it myself many times. I'd be aggravated if someone told me my essay was terrible but I wouldn't want to burst said person's eardrums.
Dragon_pie47 On November 24, 2010

the moon, Massachusetts
#4New Post! Aug 23, 2010 @ 16:49:48
right now i'm confused, what does making another want to suffer have to do with narcissism?
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#5New Post! Aug 23, 2010 @ 19:06:45
@Dragon_pie47 Said

right now i'm confused, what does making another want to suffer have to do with narcissism?

If you read on the site I linked to, it says narcissists can't stand criticism. A person telling a narcissist that his or her essay was the worst ever written could infuriate that person to the point of wanting to seek revenge. Not all narcissists are that extreme, though.

Keep in mind that this doctor is a criminal profiler. He rates killers on a scale of 1 to 22 with 22 being the most violent. I think the subject of that particular episode was Charles Manson. If not, he was profiling killers who are narcissistic.

I posted about the study because I'm having a hard time believing any narcissist could ever be suicidal and I was hoping someone here might be able to change my opinion. That's really all there is to it.
foosyerdoos On March 10, 2015

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 23, 2010 @ 19:19:38
@Mysteria Said

Have you ever known anyone who was diagnosed (by a psychiatrist/psychologist) with Narcissistic Personality Disorder ? If so, have you known anyone who's attempted suicide or actually committed suicide?

I was wondering about this because narcissists have a strong sense of self importance and don't seem likely to harm themselves. I've never known anyone with that diagnosis.

I was watching a program the other night about narcissism. The doctors were doing a study after picking out people who displayed well known traits of the disorder.

Narcissism is not the same as having lots of confidence and high self esteem.

So what are your experiences with this disorder?

A true narcissist would believe that nobody is equal to them and nothing is good enough for them. This would be a very lonely state to be in. That could perhaps lead to depression, which could in turn lead to suicide.

the moon, Massachusetts
#7New Post! Aug 23, 2010 @ 19:22:25
@Mysteria Said

If you read on the site I linked to, it says narcissists can't stand criticism. A person telling a narcissist that his or her essay was the worst ever written could infuriate that person to the point of wanting to seek revenge. Not all narcissists are that extreme, though.

Keep in mind that this doctor is a criminal profiler. He rates killers on a scale of 1 to 22 with 22 being the most violent. I think the subject of that particular episode was Charles Manson. If not, he was profiling killers who are narcissistic.

I posted about the study because I'm having a hard time believing any narcissist could ever be suicidal and I was hoping someone here might be able to change my opinion. That's really all there is to it.

well i believe that a narcissist can be suicidal
im not sure if it works out but what if the narcissist secretly loathes themselves.
so they use those actions to try and prove to them selves that they are better then others? but deep down its gnawing at them and they decide to end it all there
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#8New Post! Aug 23, 2010 @ 19:25:28
@foosyerdoos Said

A true narcissist would believe that nobody is equal to them and nothing is good enough for them. This would be a very lonely state to be in. That could perhaps lead to depression, which could in turn lead to suicide.

@Dragon_pie47 Said

well i believe that a narcissist can be suicidal
im not sure if it works out but what if the narcissist secretly loathes themselves.
so they use those actions to try and prove to them selves that they are better then others? but deep down its gnawing at them and they decide to end it all there

Very good points. [smile]https://i.tfster.com/cache/www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/images/smilies/righton_smilie.gif">
foosyerdoos On March 10, 2015

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Aug 23, 2010 @ 19:46:53
I think I also read that murder suicides are carried out quite often by people with narcissistic tendencies.

the moon, Massachusetts
#10New Post! Aug 24, 2010 @ 16:08:11
@Mysteria Said

Very good points. [smile]https://i.tfster.com/cache/www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/images/smilies/righton_smilie.gif">

thank you

the moon, Massachusetts
#11New Post! Aug 24, 2010 @ 16:09:14
@foosyerdoos Said

I think I also read that murder suicides are carried out quite often by people with narcissistic tendencies.

I could imagine, it seems pretty plausible.
lil_bear01 On February 18, 2011

Deleted

In my igloo, Canada
#12New Post! Aug 24, 2010 @ 16:29:42
Just a skim of this topic.

Very in-depth as it has many different traits, so I do believe that it would take even a qualified professional 'years' to diagnose.

Just a link for reading and passing time.

Same place, different link...

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/narcissistic-personality-disorder/DS00652/DSECTION=symptoms
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs