The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

Naming And Shaming?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Should police/press be allowed publicly release information about alleged perpetrators?
Yes
No
View Results
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#1New Post! Sep 03, 2011 @ 09:21:11
We've all seen or read about this before,someone gets arrested for a crime they have supposed to have committed and have their names/photos and personal lives/details splashed all across the news..only for them to end up getting found innocent of the alleged crime.Not only can this completely ruin lives but apart from the fact that it helps sell newspapers why do the public have to know this information?.Here,this kind of 'reporting' isn't allowed (not sure if illegal),and you only ever hear that someone/people are in custody over a crime and then nothing more until after the trial.

Here is just one recent example.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-14769486

Any opinions welcome

Apologies for the lack of punctuation and general poor state of my English..my brain is not working this morning
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Sep 03, 2011 @ 09:25:14
God no, very good example you provided too.
Oisin On January 27, 2012

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Sep 03, 2011 @ 09:28:28
generally, the public are idiots and will jump on the nearest bandwagon so NO.

generally, you get the media that the majority deserve though.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Sep 03, 2011 @ 09:32:42
I say no as well. I actually talk to the media fairly often in my job and they call to get information on things that have happened, and I make it rule not to say a damn word to them if I don't have to. And luckily, I don't have to unless I've been given a press release on an incident that's happened, which will never include personal information on suspects. The most they will have in them is a description of the crime or incident and information about any danger that might still exist, but no names or anything like that.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#5New Post! Sep 03, 2011 @ 09:33:17
@treebee Said

God no, very good example you provided too.

I really didn't like the way the media handled this one.Even trying build up a character of a uncaring 24hr partying drunken monster just from a couple of pics and statuses from her FB profile.Just shows how desperate they are for a story. [smile]https://i.tfster.com/cache/i45.tinypic.com/4h2k37.gif">
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Sep 03, 2011 @ 09:34:32
@Wellard Said

I really didn't like the way the media handled this one.Even trying build up a character of a uncaring 24hr partying drunken monster just from a couple of pics and statuses from her FB profile.Just shows how desperate they are for a story. [smile]https://i.tfster.com/cache/i45.tinypic.com/4h2k37.gif">

Yes, and they will take anything and run with it if they can sensationalize it.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Sep 03, 2011 @ 09:38:17
yeah, nothing is learned from the news of the world, journalism is a filthy profession.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Sep 03, 2011 @ 09:40:02
@treebee Said

yeah, nothing is learned from the news of the world, journalism is a filthy profession.

So, back to the hookers then?
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Sep 03, 2011 @ 09:40:53
@Eaglebauer Said

So, back to the hookers then?

and cookies.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Sep 03, 2011 @ 09:43:41
so there was a thread a couple of months ago where American police had told the press who had released details of a suspect, and there was a big debate about "freedom of speech" even though such freedom is detrimental to individuals.

I forget why I am raising this again.
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#11New Post! Sep 03, 2011 @ 09:51:33
To be fair, this gal was released due to insufficient evidence at the time. It does not necessarily mean that she is innocent--simply that they have a weak case against her.

I know nothing about her or the case, so I certainly don't profess to claim her innocence or guilt.

As for the media's part, they simply sensationalize everything, and the public (for the most part) eats it up. Yeah, folks *should be* innocent until proven guilty, but sort of hard to do when they've already been tried and convicted within the wide-reaching domain of the broadcasting world and its millions & billions of viewers.
JustMeAgain On January 03, 2014
Is it fish?

Derby, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Sep 03, 2011 @ 10:00:53
I think people should be named, but only after a conviction.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Sep 03, 2011 @ 10:27:57
No. It's innocent until proven guilty for a reason. There's no use whipping the public into a frenzy and destroying someone's reputation over nothing.

I still feel sorry for that guy who was a suspect in the J Yates murder case. He was innocent in the end and yet the press tore him to pieces. At least he received compensation, but even so it's shocking that an innocent person can receive such awful treatment in the name of selling a few more newspapers.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs