NC sex offender gets prison for Facebook request

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#1New Post! Nov 20, 2011 @ 22:10:37
"WENTWORTH, N.C. (AP) — A convicted North Carolina sex offender is going back to jail after deputies say he sent a Facebook friend request to one of his victims."

https://news.yahoo.com/nc-sex-offender-gets-prison-facebook-request-192931221.html

Well good!
woodss On February 26, 2024

#2New Post! Nov 23, 2011 @ 16:48:31
It says in the Term of Service in Facebook that no registered sex offenders should not use Facebook.

His account should be terminated, I don't know why he would be that stupid, registered sex offenders shouldn't be on facebook its far too dangerous for them.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bricks-4-Fun/209084009113858#!/terms.php

Section 4 and sub section 6.
Courtesy of Facebook

No one whom is under 13, shouldn't use FB.
Sex Offenders should never use FB, due to cases like this, A friend Request sent one of his victims, is attempting to contact the victim, it a restraining order.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 23, 2011 @ 16:51:05
@woodss Said

It says in the Term of Service in Facebook that no registered sex offenders should not use Facebook.

His account should be terminated, I don't know why he would be that stupid, registered sex offenders shouldn't be on facebook its far too dangerous for them.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bricks-4-Fun/209084009113858#!/terms.php

Section 4 and sub section 6.
Courtesy of Facebook

Somehow I don't think sex offenders would worry too much about breaching the terms and conditions of a website, having a rule in place would hardly stop them.

#4New Post! Nov 23, 2011 @ 16:59:49
Yes thats true, but its a policy that Facebook has in place, but at least its one less Sex Offender in our society.

What kind of motives of why he would even consider trying to contact one of his victims is beyond me.

Maybe he wants to reoffend, or something, depending how old the child was at the time of the crime, lets say for example he or she be at least 8 - 12 at the time.

Heres what I think, not taking sides:
My comments if he considers moving to Australia in 5 years time.

The victim would be at least 16 - 20 years old, so he or she at the most nearly a Adult, so leagally he should be able to speak to the victim if he or she is a adult, in Australia the legal age is 18.

So legally if the victim approved him to speak to him or her, he shouldnt been in jail, its unless the victim gave him a order to not to speak to him or her.

Thoygh any channels via telecommuncations e.g telephone call, facebook, postal means e.g letter and even at the street, if he lives in the same state and city as victim they could have seen each other in the mall for example, the sex offender or victim has to move to another area in state or country.

But since FB is used globally, there might be a chance for him to contact the victim if he transferred his citizenship for example Australia.

I wonder what would the Australian authorities would have done then, I don't think Australian Government would approve his application.

And by the news report it was granted, at the time of the crime which was in 2000 / 01, any orders by now would have expired, unless he wanted to apologize to the victim.

There shouldn't been a issue with him sending a friend request, due it was about 10 years ago when it occured, so it shouldn't been a problem, because all the orders by now would have expired.

Only reason why he could been sent to jail if the victim made a another order towards him, at leasts that what I think.

But a 5 year sentence to send a friend request, is absurd, when really the original sentencewas 2 years, I always thought if hes done the time for the crime he would have been rehabilitated.

I don't think sending sex offenders to jail is the answer, they need to be rehabilitated to live a normal life, some sex offenders have Castration as a method to prevent further problems..
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#5New Post! Nov 23, 2011 @ 17:09:09
I doubt your hypothetical is likely as the guy only served two years. As he was convicted of a crime against a child, then two years on any child's life does not make that child a consenting adult.

#6New Post! Nov 23, 2011 @ 17:19:14
@paramour Said

I doubt your hypothetical is likely as the guy only served two years. As he was convicted of a crime against a child, then two years on any child's life does not make that child a consenting adult.

It depends on the age of the child now, if its under 18 then your correct, but I think this child is over 18 now, since its about 8 years ago since he was released, I think the original crime occured in 2001.

The child would have been aprox 10 to 12 years old in 2003. So now the child would be about 20 - 22 years old now, making the child a Adult.

This is probably the reason of why the sex offender has sent a friend request thinking all the original orders would have expired, and legally it is, I believe it only had a 5 year lifespan, so in 2008 he was released, and all restraining orders would have been abolished.

The Victim could have chpsen to do a new restraining order in 2008, and the facebook friend request would have violated this, but a 5 year gaol term is over the top, I beleive if this happend in Australia it would been a warning or a 2 year gaol term.

Australia has had simliar instances of a disabled man going on FB, and a registered sex offender, He only got two year goal sentence.

He has a Intellectual Disability, but not all people with a Intellectual Disability does crimes like this.

[url=https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/581737_6]
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/581737_6[/url]

https://www.news.com.au/alleged-teen-sex-offender-moved-to-a-secure-facility/story-e6frg13u-1225999686297?from=public_rss

Released sex Offender goes on online

Here is a few instances of what happend in Australia.

Purgatory Beach,
#7New Post! Nov 23, 2011 @ 17:21:20
@woodss Said
I don't think sending sex offenders to jail is the answer, they need to be rehabilitated to live a normal life, some sex offenders have Castration as a method to prevent further problems..

There are a helluva lot of misconceptions re: castration. Castration does not eliminate the ability to achieve an erection or have intercourse, which makes it potentially inadequate as a preventative method to reduce sex offenders' recidivism rates. Additionally, the effects of castration upon individuals' libido can actually be reversed by increasing their testosterone levels. How does one do that? Um, simply take testosterone. This renders the castration procedure ineffective. Then, there also are a host of medical and psychological procedures associated with the castration (as there are with chemical castration, e.g., using depo-provera), but I'm sure most folks don't care about those...

Regardless, research does not consistently show that castration "prevents further problems." Some investigations report that it does not reliably reduce sex offenders' behaviors. Another study reported that 40% of castrated sex offenders continued to have intercourse within 3-7 years after the procedure, with 50% of castrated sex offenders able to achieve full erections while watching a sex movie 3-5 years afterward.

So, if I can still achieve an erection, and I can still have intercourse, and I can counter the effects of the procedure with testosterone, then exactly how sure are you about castration being the answer?

Purgatory Beach,
#8New Post! Nov 23, 2011 @ 17:26:02
@woodss Said

It depends on the age of the child now, if its under 18 then your correct, but I think this child is over 18 now, since its about 8 years ago since he was released, I think the original crime occured in 2001.

The child would have been aprox 10 to 12 years old in 2003. So now the child would be about 20 - 22 years old now, making the child a Adult.

This is probably the reason of why the sex offender has sent a friend request thinking all the original orders would have expired, and legally it is, I believe it only had a 5 year lifespan, so in 2008 he was released, and all restraining orders would have been abolished.

The Victim could have chpsen to do a new restraining order in 2008, and the facebook friend request would have violated this.

Good call. I missed the release date. Regardless, he sent the request "despite having been ordered to have no contact with the victim." He's still in the wrong.

You don't mess with order of protections or restraining orders. You will be arrested, and you will go to jail.

#9New Post! Nov 23, 2011 @ 17:26:48
@paramour Said

Good call. I missed the release date. Regardless, he sent the request "despite having been ordered to have no contact with the victim." He's still in the wrong.

You don't mess with order of protections or restraining orders. You will be arrested, and you will go to jail.

Yes I know that, and its there for a purpose.
Its to protect the victim.

But the problem with modern communcations, it makes it easier to track their victims down, recent years Facebook has been tough with this problem.

Also Its very easy for a person to make a false identity, online, all you need is a fake picture and your in business, that the most dangerous part of it, Making a easy road for offenders to create false aliases.

Then there is application called TOR. TOR Website which allows people to be annoymous online, for which increases security for users, this is a legal tool, it has its legal uses, but it can be abused by sex offenders.

What is Tor?

Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security known as traffic analysis.

Like any tool it can be abused, I believe if he had used TOR it would been harder for him to be tracked, since it was tracked via a IP address, via the ISP.

Most sex offenders wouldn't know about this potentially dangerous technology, but I believe if they discovered it, it would definitely be abused, this software is legal and safe.

#10New Post! Nov 23, 2011 @ 17:30:10
@paramour Said

There are a helluva lot of misconceptions re: castration. Castration does not eliminate the ability to achieve an erection or have intercourse, which makes it potentially inadequate as a preventative method to reduce sex offenders' recidivism rates. Additionally, the effects of castration upon individuals' libido can actually be reversed by increasing their testosterone levels. How does one do that? Um, simply take testosterone. This renders the castration procedure ineffective. Then, there also are a host of medical and psychological procedures associated with the castration (as there are with chemical castration, e.g., using depo-provera), but I'm sure most folks don't care about those...

Regardless, research does not consistently show that castration "prevents further problems." Some investigations report that it does not reliably reduce sex offenders' behaviors. Another study reported that 40% of castrated sex offenders continued to have intercourse within 3-7 years after the procedure, with 50% of castrated sex offenders able to achieve full erections while watching a sex movie 3-5 years afterward.

So, if I can still achieve an erection, and I can still have intercourse, and I can counter the effects of the procedure with testosterone, then exactly how sure are you about castration being the answer?

It would kill the hormones.

Purgatory Beach,
#11New Post! Nov 23, 2011 @ 17:42:29
Since you keep editing your posts to add substantially more info...

@woodss Said

If an order is extended, then the individual is notified as such. It's not an "oops," I knew nothing about it until I was arrested. Additionally, if the original term was for 6 months or 2 years, they are typically revisited at the end of the term and can be extended... and often are at the request of the victim or at the decision of the judge. Restraining orders or orders of protection are not simply abolished because one has served their time. Hell, this guy didn't even serve his time. He served 2 years of his 5 years sentence, so he was released early. Dependent upon the details of the situation, this individual (who may be a child or an adult) and/or her family may still feel endangered. Restraining orders or orders of protection can still be requested if the individual can provide evidence that they are needed.

Quote:
The Victim could have chpsen to do a new restraining order in 2008, and the facebook friend request would have violated this, but a 5 year gaol term is over the top, I beleive if this happend in Australia it would been a warning or a 2 year gaol term.

You feel that a 5 year term is over the top, but he didn't even serve 5 years. Additionally, we don't even know the details of the individual's crime, so how are we to determine that his sentence was "over the top?" Sometimes, yes, I think that the term may be over the top for their crime. Oftentimes, they are not nearly long enough. Particularly when they only serve a fraction of their sentence.

Quote:
Australia has had simliar instances of a disabled man going on FB, and a registered sex offender, He only got two year goal sentence.

He has a Intellectual Disability, but not all people with a Intellectual Disability does crimes like this.

Aaand, in at least one of those instances, you had the family of the offender upset with the verdict because they KNEW that the released offender would do so again. They wanted him locked up because there was nothing they could do with him. But, hey, at least he's free to do whatever he wants with whoever he want. Right?

Purgatory Beach,
#12New Post! Nov 23, 2011 @ 17:44:31
@woodss Said

It would kill the hormones.

Try reading.

1. Many can still gain an erection.
2. Many can still have intercourse.
3. They can take "hormones" (aka, testosterone), which basically renders your castration ineffective.

#13New Post! Nov 23, 2011 @ 17:46:12
@paramour Said

Try reading.

1. Many can still gain an erection.
2. Many can still have intercourse.
3. They can take "hormones" (aka, testosterone), which basically renders your castration ineffective.

That is true, but did you read what I said about TOR?

Purgatory Beach,
#14New Post! Nov 23, 2011 @ 17:48:49
And I haven't the slightest why you believe it necessary to select those with intellectual disabilities for this particular topic, but as you have now messaged me regarding it, I am well aware that intellectual disabilities do not cause folks to become sexual predators.

Just so we have that straight.

@woodss Said

[url=https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/581737_6]
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/581737_6[/url]

https://www.news.com.au/alleged-teen-sex-offender-moved-to-a-secure-facility/story-e6frg13u-1225999686297?from=public_rss

Released sex Offender goes on online

Purgatory Beach,
#15New Post! Nov 23, 2011 @ 17:49:16
@woodss Said

That is true, but did you read what I said about TOR?

No, because you keep editing your frakkin' posts after the fact.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs