My first basket...lol I feel old!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#1New Post! Aug 29, 2009 @ 02:22:08
Well I am currently taking basket weaving 1 just for fun after all the ladies at work persuaded me to, and I'm so glad I did.

I finished my first basket yesterday (in two classes) i couldn't believe it. It looks amazing, especially for my first try and even though it was frustrating at times...it was so worth it. I'm so proud of it...I can't wait till I make more.

In fact...I took it to work to show the ladies my first attempt and everyone loved it...several people wanted me to give it to them, and a couple others offered me money for it. I was happy...but my first basket will always be mine...maybe the future ones I can give away...but in two months I have to enter three baskets in an art show...and I'm truly hoping to win FIRST PLACEEEEEE!!!

Anyways here are pictures of the first one!

loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#2New Post! Aug 29, 2009 @ 02:24:58
Rather early start isn't it?

At least in later years, you will already know how.

Good job you did there!
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#3New Post! Aug 29, 2009 @ 02:25:15
That is a nice basket. I really like how it goes from square to round...very cool.
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#4New Post! Aug 29, 2009 @ 02:35:00
That's awesome! You could sell the crap out of those......um, not literally, I mean metaphorically. I especially like the top.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#5New Post! Aug 29, 2009 @ 02:35:40
@loveis Said

Rather early start isn't it?

At least in later years, you will already know how.

Good job you did there!

Heheh...what are you talking about...I'm old, 90 years to be exact. I'm just gifted...still got my young age and good looks!

haha yeah...actually there are a lot of kids my age in the class...more than the old in fact. Its a pretty cool thing...the college I work for offer's it and classes are free for employees so i was like why not.

Its fun though.
LaLaMissMandy On September 27, 2009

Deleted

EUGENE, Oregon
#6New Post! Aug 29, 2009 @ 02:41:25
Its soo cute and crafty! I want to learn how to make one!
sweetheart5545 On November 06, 2013

, Florida
#7New Post! Aug 29, 2009 @ 02:53:30
it's cute
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#8New Post! Aug 29, 2009 @ 02:53:34
@LaLaMissMandy Said

Its soo cute and crafty! I want to learn how to make one!

Ahhh...its pretty easy to learn...we basically made half of it the first day...not having any prior experience or lectures etc.

And you can make so many different patters and use so many different colors and there are so many different types of baskets you can make....they're awesome.

And once you have your materials and stuff...the basket only cost about $3.00 to make, though it does take a little labor...but hey there are so many people who would pay like $75, $100 for one.

But its fun and relaxing too. You should find a class nearby.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#9New Post! Aug 29, 2009 @ 02:59:36

These are future baskets I want to make...patterns are form Suzanne Moore's Website https://www.ncbasketworks.com/patterns.htm
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#10New Post! Aug 29, 2009 @ 03:27:06
Even though it is insane that people pay that much for wicker baskets, you could get RICH!
Victoriana On February 19, 2011

, Australia
#11New Post! Aug 29, 2009 @ 11:08:12
Nice work! I like the colour choices.
And I don't approve of people thinking that crafts are for old ladies only!! Do what you ENJOY.
Southforkweaver On September 08, 2009

Powers, Oregon
#12New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 02:18:05
HI, Your basket looks very nice !! It would appear that you have a small piece of sweetgrass inside your rim. The pattern square to round represents four directions of people coming to together in a circle as one. The sweetgrass is sacred to our people and plays an important part in our basketry. I'm not sure who your teacher was ~ but your basket is patterned after a traditional NE woodland Indian basket. The people of the Wabanaki, Penobscot, Pasmaquoddy, Algonquin, Ottawa, Malseet & other NE Indian peoples ~ were the first, and continue to be the people to make these baskets.
Our Tradition says; give your first basket away ~ to make good medicine, and help open the way for the next basket(s) you are going to weave.
Nan MacDonald
Algonquin/Metis
Oregon
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#13New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 02:32:55
@Southforkweaver Said

HI, Your basket looks very nice !! It would appear that you have a small piece of sweetgrass inside your rim. The pattern square to round represents four directions of people coming to together in a circle as one. The sweetgrass is sacred to our people and plays an important part in our basketry. I'm not sure who your teacher was ~ but your basket is patterned after a traditional NE woodland Indian basket. The people of the Wabanaki, Penobscot, Pasmaquoddy, Algonquin, Ottawa, Malseet & other NE Indian peoples ~ were the first, and continue to be the people to make these baskets.
Our Tradition says; give your first basket away ~ to make good medicine, and help open the way for the next basket(s) you are going to weave.
Nan MacDonald
Algonquin/Metis
Oregon

Oh wow, thanks for the info. Well, I don't know if the string in the rim is sweetgrass, I think the teacher said it was sea grass, maybe its the same thing.

And I also wasn't suppose to make it square to round, it was suppose to pretty much stay square, but I was pulling too much and ended up giving it shape. It was okay, because I really liked what I did, and while everyone else's didn't have a shape, mine did.

But that is good information...I guess I might just have to give it away now.
Stigma On February 13, 2010
zombie vomit

Deleted

, New Hampshire
#14New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 02:36:08
That's awesome! Great colors too.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#15New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 02:37:12
@Stigma Said

That's awesome! Great colors too.