Feedback & Suggestions

Multi-quote/Double Posting

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
rosesforme17 On August 29, 2023

Santa Clara, California
#1New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 01:18:37
I have a bit of a gripe, and a question. What is the point of the multi-quote button if it is rarely used? I am so beyond frustrated seeing double posting throughout the forums. The whole purpose of the multi-quote feature, or so I thought, was for people to be able to quote more than one person at a time without having to copy and paste and without double posting.

Isn't it even against the rules to double post? What is really getting to me, is that I do not see that rule being enforced. Even mods are double posting. What is so hard about using the multi-quote feature or editing your post?

I know there are greater things to worry about than people double posting. But I get really tired of seeing the same user in back to back posts. It is a major peeve and turns me away from the thread or forum. I have no desire to participate in a discussion when I see such laziness.

My feedback is that the multi-quote feature is useless considering that so few have actually taken advantage of it and also that there is a lack of moderation as far as double posting is concerned.

My suggestion is that the multi-quote feature actually be used and that double posting receives some form of reprimand for repeaters, or at least that the posts are merged.
spadge On February 18, 2010
Aging Disgracefully

Deleted

Santa Land, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 01:21:51
@rosesforme17 Said

I have a bit of a gripe, and a question. What is the point of the multi-quote button if it is rarely used? I am so beyond frustrated seeing double posting throughout the forums. The whole purpose of the multi-quote feature, or so I thought, was for people to be able to quote more than one person at a time without having to copy and paste and without double posting.

Isn't it even against the rules to double post? What is really getting to me, is that I do not see that rule being enforced. Even mods are double posting. What is so hard about using the multi-quote feature or editing your post?

I know there are greater things to worry about than people double posting. But I get really tired of seeing the same user in back to back posts. It is a major peeve and turns me away from the thread or forum. I have no desire to participate in a discussion when I see such laziness.

My feedback is that the multi-quote feature is useless considering that so few have actually taken advantage of it and also that there is a lack of moderation as far as double posting is concerned.

My suggestion is that the multi-quote feature actually be used and that double posting receives some form of reprimand for repeaters, or at least that the posts are merged.

In my experiance, double posting is seldom done deliberately.
I have posted something, hit the post button, nothing happens, hit it again, and had a double post.
Sometimes it can't be helped.

Santa Clara, California
#3New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 01:25:00
There is a difference as far as I can tell between double posting on accident or deliberately. If it was an accident, then you could always edit the second post to say so. But 99% of the double posting I see, is deliberate.
spadge On February 18, 2010
Aging Disgracefully

Deleted

Santa Land, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 01:27:56
But how do you discriminate?
Some double post accidentally, but then can't be bothered to correct it. They think sod it.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#5New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 01:30:18
And sometimes you quote, reply
Than go back and in the meantime there are new posts you want to quote to
Ellen On November 13, 2009

Banned

#6New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 01:33:36
Sometimes posts are made while a person is responding to another post. Once they hit the post button they see yet another post has been made that they want to respond to. So you end up seeing consecutive posts by the same member.
MartianLeader On February 20, 2015
PazuzuPossessed

Exorcist Drive,
#7New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 01:53:20
I like the multi quotes.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#8New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 02:01:17
I like the multi quote. I haven't noticed double posting as a problem.

Santa Clara, California
#9New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 02:08:13
@plebian_angel Said

And sometimes you quote, reply
Than go back and in the meantime there are new posts you want to quote to

@Ellen Said

Sometimes posts are made while a person is responding to another post. Once they hit the post button they see yet another post has been made that they want to respond to. So you end up seeing consecutive posts by the same member.

That's where the edit button would come in very handy.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#10New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 02:09:49
do you mean double posting as in the same post twice or just two different posts back to back by the same person?

I'm not sure mods have ever punished people for annoying posts like that. That would be kinda hard to enforce as I know that I have two posts back to back, but sometimes, its because someone else posted while I was typing up my first response, and it really would no have made sense to go back and edit a new response into it, for some of the rapid discussions. edits are not noticed by the system as a new post. So the second person, may not even realize they were responded to.

if its an accidental double post we do remove those, when we find them, though none of us read everything immediately. just report them, as double posts but if its not reported it may not get removed right away, I know I do "clean" stuff up like that night when its quiet.
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#11New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 02:11:14
If someone posts while I'm typing my reply, and I choose to reply to it, I will. And no, I will not edit every single post I make just so that I don't have two posts back to back in a thread

Santa Clara, California
#12New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 02:17:47
Yes, I'm talking about two different posts by the same person back to back DiscordTiger.

And Wingsy, why wouldn't you want to simply edit your post? Is it really so hard for people?
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#13New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 02:24:07
Perhaps I should just not post at all since it bothers you so much
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#14New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 03:26:08
@rosesforme17 Said

There is a difference as far as I can tell between double posting on accident or deliberately. If it was an accident, then you could always edit the second post to say so. But 99% of the double posting I see, is deliberate.

How is it even possible to double post deliberately? As soon as you click post, it flies away, - or it should..it only double posts if there is a long hesitation, as the first poster said, and you have to click post again two or more times.
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#15New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 03:28:17
@DiscordTiger Said

do you mean double posting as in the same post twice or just two different posts back to back by the same person?

I'm not sure mods have ever punished people for annoying posts like that. That would be kinda hard to enforce as I know that I have two posts back to back, but sometimes, its because someone else posted while I was typing up my first response, and it really would no have made sense to go back and edit a new response into it, for some of the rapid discussions. edits are not noticed by the system as a new post. So the second person, may not even realize they were responded to.

if its an accidental double post we do remove those, when we find them, though none of us read everything immediately. just report them, as double posts but if its not reported it may not get removed right away, I know I do "clean" stuff up like that night when its quiet.

Or maybe, just maybe a person is trying to get more points on a particular day, especially if it's double points day.

What's so terrible about it anyway?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs