Muirfield Golf Club Members Vote To Retain Gender Ban On Women

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#16New Post! May 20, 2016 @ 01:36:13
@shadowen Said

Muirfield has hosted the Open 16 times. The last time was in 2013.

OK - Thanks - I don't play or follow golf.

.. There was a dust up like this in the states a few years back ... was it those Green-Jacket boys?
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#17New Post! May 20, 2016 @ 11:51:25
@shadowen Said

We have a heap of women only gyms in Australia (no men only gyms that i know of), there are women only private clubs and just yesterday a new 'cab' service was announced that will only pick up women and children and will only employ female drivers. Haven't heard a peep from anyone about that one, though if the roles were reversed it would be a very different story.

We have also had situations where feminists have successfully campaigned for a PRIVATE male only swimming club to admit women whilst at the same time successfully campaigning for PUBLIC pools to have up to two days a week where men are excluded!

Personally i don't see the big deal if a private club wishes to have set criteria which determines who can join. If however the club/facility is funded by public money then that's another matter.

I went to a private male only swimming club when I was younger, everyone had a moustache and seemed to have forgotten to wear a swimming costume. So I made my excuses and left to the strains of YMCA by the Village people.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#18New Post! May 20, 2016 @ 12:00:22
@yami Said

I went to a private male only swimming club when I was younger, everyone had a moustache and seemed to have forgotten to wear a swimming costume. So I made my excuses and left to the strains of YMCA by the Village people.

LOL. I'm tipping it was back to the wall as you left the pool!

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#19New Post! May 20, 2016 @ 12:10:58
@shadowen Said

LOL. I'm tipping it was back to the wall as you left the pool!

As me old Aussie mate Barry McKenzie would have put it “Strewth mate, I’d rather down 10 pints of pom beer than swim without me boarders”

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#20New Post! May 20, 2016 @ 12:20:01
@yami Said

As me old Aussie mate Barry McKenzie would have put it “Strewth mate, I’d rather down 10 pints of pom beer than swim without me boarders”

A real philosopher Bazza!

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#21New Post! May 20, 2016 @ 12:55:01
@shadowen Said

A real philosopher Bazza!

Give him due, he knew there was a time and place to flash the nasty & sink the sausage, but I got the impression that place was not for him. He wanted to leave and have a technicolour yawn.
To be fair I think there was a good reason for not allowing women into that club.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#22New Post! May 20, 2016 @ 12:57:30
Sir Les of course is another great thinker
last_wave_of_summer On May 06, 2023

Canberra, Australia
#23New Post! May 20, 2016 @ 13:11:49
@shadowen Said

We have a heap of women only gyms in Australia (no men only gyms that i know of), there are women only private clubs and just yesterday a new 'cab' service was announced that will only pick up women and children and will only employ female drivers. Haven't heard a peep from anyone about that one, though if the roles were reversed it would be a very different story.

We have also had situations where feminists have successfully campaigned for a PRIVATE male only swimming club to admit women whilst at the same time successfully campaigning for PUBLIC pools to have up to two days a week where men are excluded!

Personally i don't see the big deal if a private club wishes to have set criteria which determines who can join. If however the club/facility is funded by public money then that's another matter.

I thought the exact same thing when I heard about the taxi service, one thing not pciking up male passangers money but refusing to hire someone based on gender is discrimination isn't it?

Can talk all about the wage gap for women etc and yes issues that need addressing but you can't campaign for equal rights then support something like this that isn't equal.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#24New Post! May 20, 2016 @ 13:55:38
@last_wave_of_summer Said

I thought the exact same thing when I heard about the taxi service, one thing not picking up male passengers money but refusing to hire someone based on gender is discrimination isn't it?

No. Surely you would know by now that it's only ever discrimination if women are perceived to be on the short end. The truth is they don't want equal rights but rather they want a predetermined outcome of their choosing. Do you not remember last year when a number of companies were given permission to pay women more super than men (who were doing the exact same work at the same company). So the government body that supposedly deals with discrimination decided that it was alright to have two people sitting side by side doing the exact same job but one could be paid more (in super) than the other simply because of their gender (which in essence means women are allowed to be paid more than men for doing the same bloody job).

Anyway, like i said, it's interesting to hear people in the media saying what a great idea it is that this 'taxi' company will only employ women and yet if the shoe was on the other foot they would be utterly outraged!

NE, Ohio
#25New Post! May 20, 2016 @ 14:38:01
@shadowen Said

Anyway, like i said, it's interesting to hear people in the media saying what a great idea it is that this 'taxi' company will only employ women and yet if the shoe was on the other foot they would be utterly outraged!

There are a few startups like that here in the States too - did google: SheRides, SheTaxi ... and a few hits for services in the UK

There has been some grumbling here about discrimination vs safety (sound familiar?)

NE, Ohio
#26New Post! May 20, 2016 @ 16:36:30
I find this article more informative than the OP
https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/19/golf/muirfield-golf-club-membership-vote-women/index.html

Right off the bat it says it hosted in 2013, and a little later says it has hosted 16 times.
Where it was established, it moved, the criticism R&A got for the 2013 decision, and ""Given the schedule for staging the Open, it would be some years before Muirfield would have been considered to host the Championship again. If the policy at the club should change we would reconsider Muirfield as a venue for the Open in future.""

And a reference to Augusta changing it's stance.

(OMG, did I just compliment CNN??)
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs