Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#1New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 02:05:32
In the past month or so, I have had a few posts deleted and a thread or two moved.

In *none* of these cases have I gotten so much as a PM from the moderator who did this or a post in my threads about when they were moved, why, or by whom.

I humbly ask the TSF staff to please start notifying posters when individual posts or threads are deleted or moved. It is incredibly frustrating to have to figure this stuff out by ourselves.

The posters here are the community. They are the site. They deserve to know when their posts are modified, moved, or deleted. Please consider this.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 02:09:17
I posted something in the Random forum earlier.

Someone moved it to my journal. I do not know who moved it or even when it was moved.

I really, really, really do not want anything in my journal. Apparently there's no way to turn a journal entry into a thread, though the reverse is obviously possible.

I had to delete the entire journal entry, along with its comments, because I did not want that as a journal entry.

Again, please, do not move entire threads to places posters may not want them without even letting them know.
kerrigwen On May 13, 2008

Mississauga, Canada
#3New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 02:10:17
General sentiment of jonnythan's ditto'd...

hasnt happened to any thread started by me, but a few that I've posted in. Can just check my posts link to see where the thread's gone, sure...

... but if it WAS my thread I would definitely prefer to be notified - just a generic note would be fine - that it's been moved.
kyahbean On August 28, 2016

Williamstown, Massachusetts
#4New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 02:11:07
Yeah, I agree. Although I can't recall any recent times it has happened to me, I think I would find it extremely irritating for somebody to just move my stuff without notifying me.

I understand that things need to be moved, and moderation is necessary. But you should be telling people why you are moving/deleting threads/posts. How are members supposed to know what they mispost if you don't inform them? It's like arresting somebody without telling them why. (OK, I know it's just a forum, and it's not that extreme, but seriously it's the same idea. It's not fair.)
unspokenwords On October 16, 2019

#5New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 02:12:02
yeah, I agree if your going to mess around with a post and such it would be nice to know so.. even though this has never happened to me. I do know threads are being moved to journals though because they make more sense that way?

I had a thread I made deleted before and noone notified me that it was done nor gave me a reason!! but this was a long time ago.. which I thought we should know what the reasons were!
plebius On November 12, 2021

#6New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 03:06:05
How many other sites notify someone every time a thread or post they make is moved or deleted?

Not many in my experience.
el_diablo On December 19, 2008

Deleted

Maui, Hawaii
#7New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 03:13:27
I think some posts are moved because they're out of place and I would assume it's just the moderators trying to keep the site organized.
sweetrnsugar77 On December 22, 2008

Deleted

My Apartment, Oregon
#8New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 03:14:09
I have had it happen to me as well. The rule of thumb for mods is that unless something is posted asking for an opinion or discussion regarding the said topic it should be turned into a journal. I read your journal earlier and didnt think twice, it looked like a journal entry to me.

I dont think its hard to find your posts though, they are highlighted for you to see when you make them.

If its just a change in area why does it matter??
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#9New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 03:16:17
I'm a staff member of ScubaBoard.

We are a significantly larger site than this, and it is our strict policy to inform posters when their threads or posts are moved, deleted, or edited in any fashion.

People there tend to throw fits when things are edited, moved, or deleted without their knowledge.

The only exception is that when a large number of posts are deleted from a thread, we will occasionaly simply post, as a staff member, that a number of posts from the thread have been deleted, as opposed to notifying all of the users.

In my opinion, this is only fair. The posters on TFS *are* TFS, and we deserve to know when the content we create, which is what drives traffic to the site, is modified or moved.

At least two of the other large forum sites of which I'm a part have similar policies. I believe it is patently unfair to a poster to move, delete, or modify the content he created on the site without a simple quick note or PM letting him or her know what has been done.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 03:18:15
@sweetrnsugar77 Said
I have had it happen to me as well. The rule of thumb for mods is that unless something is posted asking for an opinion or discussion regarding the said topic it should be turned into a journal. I read your journal earlier and didnt think twice, it looked like a journal entry to me.

I dont think its hard to find your posts though, they are highlighted for you to see when you make them.

If its just a change in area why does it matter??

I put it in the Random forum because.. it's random. I don't like using the journal feature for a number of reasons and, as my empty journal indicates, I would like not to have threads in my journal.

The Random forum seemed an appropriate place, according to its use and description.

It's not so much that it was moved, anyway. It's that it was moved and no one said anything to me. I had to figure out what happened when I started getting the super-annoying "New journal comments" notification.
unspokenwords On October 16, 2019

#11New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 03:28:18
I have to agree with Jon on this. I Had to PM tino one time when a thread of mine was deleted, I was never aware on a reason and why.. they just got rid of it. I feel if you can take the time out to modify or delete a thread then you can also make the person aware!!
brainfarmer On February 09, 2007

huddersfield, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 03:29:31
im just getting used to this site so i just refresh recent or new posts only way i can keep up with stuff. it is annoying when stuff gets deleted but its better than some other sites ive used.
sweetrnsugar77 On December 22, 2008

Deleted

My Apartment, Oregon
#13New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 03:31:15
I totally see what you are talking about cause random makes sence but if its personal it should go in your journal.

Maybe Tino doesnt make the mods do it because they could get angry??
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#14New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 03:33:00
People do sometimes get angry, but hoping they don't notice is a far inferior solution.

Generally, a simple PM saying what was done and why is more than sufficient. Sometimes the person will respond angrily, particularly if something was deleted, but the best course of action is to simply ignore the PM instead of engaging the user.

It works well that way.
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#15New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 14:25:32
The mod will get angry? So? A moderator should be able to respond to a simple question about why a post was deleted. If they cannot, perhaps they should not be a mod.

And I concur with the previous posters. Notification would be nifty.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs