Movies

Movies and the Youth of today.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
doubtingthomas On April 26, 2010
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#1New Post! Jul 22, 2008 @ 19:50:39
I work for Comcast and to say that I'm a huge movie buff, would be a under statement.

I work with a younger guy that after talking with him for a while hasn't seen some of the greatest movies of time.

He hasn't seen.

2001 a space odissy. Taxi Driver, The god father, High Plains drifter, Clockwork Orange...Classics.

I have been lending him movies out of my collection and discussing them with him before and after he has watched them. I'm trying to show him there quality film making before "CGI" and explosions.

Can you guys recomend some movies for my friend and why you would recomend them.

For example I felt Cujo was a fantasic movie because it was the first movie to employ the spinning camera from inside the pinto... it gives you that trapped feeling, Cujo was a great film because it put you in the car with that woman. Great flick. A badly done movie leaves you with a 2 dementional story that you have trouble actualy being there...

This is what I have lent him so far.

Kill Bill 1--- Told him to pay close attention to the Single camera shot that takes place in the Jap. Reserant, and his use of shifting from black and white to color for effect. Pure inovation.

Death Proof -- Takes you back to that time of muscle car car chases with honest to god stunt drivers, where they have only 1 car and only one take to get the shot, and a great ending.

2001: A space Odessy -- Fantastic use of silence... If you where going to say the phase "the silence is deafing" this is it.

High Plains Drifter-- Great 60s western with no happy ending. Everyone is guilty and there is no good guy. Great movie.

What movies and why would you recomend to my friend keep in mind he is a 19 year old kid and though "gone with the wind" was a good movie. He isn't going to watch that crap.
RobbyF On November 11, 2016

Silver Spring, Maryland
#2New Post! Jul 22, 2008 @ 19:56:08
I am way behind in good movies myself. Out of the few you listed I did see Taxi Driver and it was crazy! My bro is into movies and kept tellin me I had to see it!
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#3New Post! Jul 22, 2008 @ 19:58:39
hmm, the big sleep,
i adore the dialogue in that film.

the rest of tartinos stuff obviously,
the hudsucker proxy, chinatown, schindlers list, raging bull,
american history x, gross point blank.
just a couple of my favorites there.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#4New Post! Jul 22, 2008 @ 20:00:41
Um, does he care about film at all?

Why force this kid to watch a bunch of movies if he's not a film buff?

Are you going to force him to listen to Mozart and Bach, then force him to read Melville and Dostoyevsky?

I understand that you want to share your passion, but it sounds like you have a good list already.
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#5New Post! Jul 22, 2008 @ 20:01:56
@alexkidd Said
hmm, the big sleep,
i adore the dialogue in that film.

the rest of tartinos stuff obviously,
the hudsucker proxy, chinatown, schindlers list, raging bull,
american history x, gross point blank.
just a couple of my favorites there.

Great choices!

Raging bull, hell yea!
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#6New Post! Jul 22, 2008 @ 20:06:13
@jonnythan Said
Um, does he care about film at all?

Why force this kid to watch a bunch of movies if he's not a film buff?

Are you going to force him to listen to Mozart and Bach, then force him to read Melville and Dostoyevsky?

I understand that you want to share your passion, but it sounds like you have a good list already.

He is a young guy, very impressionable. I don't force him to watch anything. I just think he needs to be exposed to great quality so he isn't fooled by bull s*** hollywood CGI nonsence.

Think of the first time you where introduced to cheese... You don't just stepp on the gas and jump into a robust blue cheese... you give him a sharp chedder and move up slowly. But eventualy you get a very good respect for it. And you can look back and thank the person who introduced you to it.
wilf1408 On September 01, 2009

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jul 22, 2008 @ 20:07:14
Goodfellas is usually a good starting place, as are Scarface and Miller's Crossing. Platoon or Full Metal Jacket? All movies that most people know even if they don't know it?
emergencymark On July 06, 2009

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jul 22, 2008 @ 20:23:48
My son comes out with some of the worst insults I have ever heard. Courtesy of every Robert De Niro film he has ever seen!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs