Movies

Movie Review - Paranormal Activity 3 - 3 Stars

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#1New Post! Oct 22, 2011 @ 21:32:21
Another Halloween season, another Paranormal Activity. These horror serials just never seem to stop. When one finally dies out (Saw), another takes over. We can definitely count on a Paranormal Activity 4 next October, as this one is apparently doing quite well in the box office in the opening weekend.

In this case, we see a prequel to a prequel, taking us back to when the two sisters are children and we witness the start of it all. Well, the start of it all for them anyways, as we find that this can go back even further. And, despite a few minor areas of non-believability, namely as the insistence that the male lead carry a camera around in moments of "drop-everything-and-run" sheer terror (what plagued the first movie as well), the crystal clear 1988-era home video film quality, and the difference in mindset of the Katie of the end of this movie and the Katie of the first movie, we see pretty much experience the same in this film: tense brief sightings and movements here and there inside an upper-middle class San Diego home, always in the wee hours of the morning, amidst reels of "found footage", and with brutal results at the end. And, while this one certainly plays that tension just as well as the other two films for the audience, it is starting to get a bit redundant already having been through it twice before. Certainly Hollywood doesn't want to mess with a formula that is working for them and the audience at this time, but it's time for this to move forward now, both what we see, and in chronological plot, namely what in heck did happen to Katie after the events of the first movie, or this series will go downhill fast in viewership interest, a.k.a. the Saw series.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#2New Post! Oct 22, 2011 @ 21:59:17
I really want to see it. At first I thought the third one would be the ending of it all but when I seen the commercial it's a prequel. Hopefully the 4th one will be the closing or close to it.
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#3New Post! Oct 22, 2011 @ 22:43:39
Well, I do want to see it because we own the first two!!! I think they'll make #5 with Katie and her nephew as demonic killers...there sure is enough information to continue on. One question.....what ever happened to the wonderful German Shepard from the second movie??? He went to the vet because the demon attacked him....
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#4New Post! Oct 22, 2011 @ 22:48:47
@BozieFozie Said

Well, I do want to see it because we own the first two!!! I think they'll make #5 with Katie and her nephew as demonic killers...there sure is enough information to continue on. One question.....what ever happened to the wonderful German Shepard from the second movie??? He went to the vet because the demon attacked him....

Nothing about that dog in #3 of course.

And why #5 instead of #4 for that premise?
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Oct 22, 2011 @ 22:55:43
they have all been pretty poor so far so i shall expect little better of this film but i am as always willing to watch it!
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#6New Post! Oct 22, 2011 @ 22:56:02
@Leon Said

Nothing about that dog in #3 of course.

And why #5 instead of #4 for that premise?

Well, I haven't seen #1 yet, but does it end when Katie is all grown up? #4 could be the years between when #3 ends and #1 begins. Remember...#1 begins with Katie and her boyfriend in their house.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#7New Post! Oct 22, 2011 @ 23:07:06
@BozieFozie Said

Well, I haven't seen #1 yet, but does it end when Katie is all grown up? #4 could be the years between when #3 ends and #1 begins. Remember...#1 begins with Katie and her boyfriend in their house.

No, it all takes place during a month in the young girls' lives, but I think we are all going to get tired of these prequels. I really do think they need to move forward now.
CharmmyVee On November 24, 2012

Deleted

Here, way out here, New Mexico
#8New Post! Oct 22, 2011 @ 23:16:08
Both two and three are prequels? I've only seen the first one.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#9New Post! Oct 22, 2011 @ 23:21:35
@CharmmyVee Said

Both two and three are prequels? I've only seen the first one.

Hey

Well, the second was a parallel prequel, as it took place right before and during the events of the first movie, in Katie's sister's home. The third one, of course, goes much further back.

We are all still wondering what happened to Katie and where she is now.

Deleted

#10New Post! Oct 22, 2011 @ 23:28:39
@Leon Said

Hey

Well, the second was a parallel prequel, as it took place right before and during the events of the first movie, in her sister's home. The third one, of course, goes much further back.

We are all still wondering what happened to Katie and where she is now.

Hey Leon

Oh okay, I see. How do two and three compare with the first one? Same scary, worse or less?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#11New Post! Oct 22, 2011 @ 23:31:10
@CharmmyVee Said

Hey Leon

Oh okay, I see. How do two and three compare with the first one? Same scary, worse or less?

Pretty much the exact same, with the exception of a much more believable situation where the footage was found off security cameras instead of handhelds in the second movie. But, yeah, I thought all three were equally as tense a result.

Deleted

#12New Post! Oct 22, 2011 @ 23:35:37
@Leon Said

Pretty much the exact same, with the exception of a much more believable situation where the footage was found off security cameras instead of handhelds in the second movie. But, yeah, I thought all three were equally as tense a result.

Eeek!
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#13New Post! Oct 22, 2011 @ 23:36:54
@CharmmyVee Said

Eeek!

Yeah, I don't see you going to see this or enjoying it.

Deleted

#14New Post! Oct 22, 2011 @ 23:45:45
@Leon Said

Yeah, I don't see you going to see this or enjoying it.

No faith in me, I see lol. No but you're right. And you can guarantee I've never seen a horror movie ALL the way through since I always hide my face one part or another. I watched one of the saws.. Ugh.. Horrible.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#15New Post! Oct 22, 2011 @ 23:48:53
@CharmmyVee Said

No faith in me, I see lol. No but you're right. And you can guarantee I've never seen a horror movie ALL the way through since I always hide my face one part or another. I watched one of the saws.. Ugh.. Horrible.

Lol, well you said you hate horror films in another thread. At least Paranormal Activity doesn't have all that gore found in Saw. But, regardless, the tension is just as great, if not greater. I genuinely am a bit tepid of going to sleep that night after seeing one of them, as I live alone and usually have all lights off at night.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs