The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Most here attack or defend. Are there any that just seek God.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...23 24 25 · >>
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 14:33:50
No. I did once. I used to believe and then when my belief wavered, I did what everyone says I should do now, I asked God to let me know he was there. He didn't and I stopped believing. Nothing I've seen since then has changed my mind. The thing that bugs me though, is being told I know nothing about religion and that if I tried, if I starting thinking in a different way, I'd be as convinced as they are. Yet no-one can present acceptable evidence.

Then there's what people will do to science in order to "prove" their belief. It's something I won't ignore.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#3New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 14:44:04
My spin: "God" is already here. Every piece of dust, trees, people, stars, time, space, I mean everything IS "God". I prefer to refer to "God" as The Creator.

You see, "God" was a lonely creature and decided to manifest itself into all we know (and haven't discovered yet). Eventually, "God" will decide to return back into it's Omnipotent One and settle back for awhile to give it all a rest.

So, if you need to "find" "God", just look within your very soul. Pick up a leaf, breathe the air, enjoy the beauty. "God" is everywhere.

J.R.
sassi On February 20, 2009

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#4New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 14:45:45
Everbody has the right to see or not seek God in their own way. So God pushers stop ringing the bells and trying to convince all to see it your way.
iliterate_enginere On February 12, 2010

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#5New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 15:22:43
@sassi Said

Everbody has the right to see or not seek God in their own way. So God pushers stop ringing the bells and trying to convince all to see it your way.

The so "God pushers" aren't the problem on this site, though.

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#6New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 15:33:06
@iliterate_enginere Said

The so "God pushers" aren't the problem on this site, though.

Enlighten me what is the problem.
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#7New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 15:40:35
I think there are many people here seeking out someone.
I believe in a higher being. why? I have no clue I just do. but unlike many and most Christians, I do not believe that our fate is sealed or whatever just because we refuse to accept a certain someone as a savior.
so to answer the O.P. I guess I would fall under the seeking out God type.
but the more i go on this quest, the less I am believing that there might be a "God".
ministumblin On January 21, 2009

Deleted

#8New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 15:45:53
@greatestiam Said

Most here attack or defend. Are there any that just seek God.

It is possible that preach could have been added to the above but I thought it unnecessary.
In my journey through forums of this type, I have seen many defend their various positions with varied skill and seen debates go nowhere. I did see one person of the hundreds of whom I track actually change his mind on an issue.

If none of us come here to have our mind changed then why bother?

It occurred to me that perhaps, the underlying motivation of all here, in this tower of babble, where all listen but none hear, that we were all questioning our own thinking and that we were all searching for a new God. Or at best here, a Name to follow.

It calls the question, Are any here looking for God?

Regards
DL

I believe it was put most eloquently by Chuck Palahniuk -

People listened instead of just waiting for their turn to speak.

Or more appropriately, it's corollary -

People don't listen, they just wait for their turn to speak.

How many people actually read and digest a forum post beyond the superficial level needed to then contradict it?

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#9New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 15:46:03
@JuanSmith Said

I think there are many people here seeking out someone.
I believe in a higher being. why? I have no clue I just do. but unlike many and most Christians, I do not believe that our fate is sealed or whatever just because we refuse to accept a certain someone as a savior.
so to answer the O.P. I guess I would fall under the seeking out God type.
but the more i go on this quest, the less I am believing that there might be a "God".

If you wasnt closure, take up a sport.
iliterate_enginere On February 12, 2010

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#10New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 15:47:25
@sassi Said

Enlighten me what is the problem.

The problem is people starting anti-God and anti-religion threads all the time, constantly insulting and criticizing others simply for what they believe. It's extremely rude and immature.
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 15:50:35
@iliterate_enginere Said

The problem is people starting anti-God and anti-religion threads all the time, constantly insulting and criticizing others simply for what they believe. It's extremely rude and immature.

I usually find it's the other way round, always being told I'm going to Hell but that's just me. I usually start threads asking about stuff, like last night's "Using scripture as evidence".
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#12New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 15:51:25
@sassi Said

If you wasnt closure, take up a sport.

erm what??

magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#13New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 15:52:30
@JuanSmith Said

erm what??

I swear, that girl makes no sense.
ministumblin On January 21, 2009

Deleted

#14New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 15:55:42
To more directly answer your question, people come here not to have their minds changed, or even to change other peoples' minds. Rather they typically come to be heard, and to feel that their points and opinions are being heard.

You just have to read the tone of some posts to know that it's more 'look at me and see how clever I am' than 'I have a persuasive argument that I feel could make your life better'.

Hell, I know I've done it.
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#15New Post! Nov 20, 2008 @ 16:05:34
@magically_delicious Said

I swear, that girl makes no sense.

so if I was not closure?? I should take up a sport?? I'm losing brain cells trying to make sense of this.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...23 24 25 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs