The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Moral sense comes from the knowledge of good and evil. Would you give it up?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
treetopflyer On March 19, 2008

Deleted

Emerald City,
#2New Post! Feb 19, 2008 @ 15:10:48
I don't think God wants or sees us just as sheep. He wants us to know and understand why we follow him.

What animals instincts live within us ?
criticallyhonest On September 15, 2008

Texarkana,
#3New Post! Feb 19, 2008 @ 15:54:57
Yes I would like morals to live by. Even before we gained morals we had free will.
6dark6dreams6 On August 19, 2010

hereford, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Feb 19, 2008 @ 17:48:30
I wouldn't want to give them up forever, but sometimes i think it would be nice to for a few days now and then not to have those responsibilities and worries - like an animal
Quote:

Quite a few...we're protective over our young for one. They way we react when we feel threatened etc etc
greyguitar On July 28, 2010

#5New Post! Feb 19, 2008 @ 17:57:30
I think that the 'moral sense' is and always will be skewed and subjective. I think that some people are born without it entirely and I think some have an overly strong connection to it. Whether it be taught or not.

I personally would not give it up because it is part of what keeps me safe in this world. It gives me basic instructions to avoid some dangers and I think that's what it should do. Since we no longer live in a paradise and we have scant hope of doing so in our lives, we need some sense of good and bad to keep us from falling prey to the people who do not have the moral sense.
greatestiam On November 26, 2008

Ottawa,
#6New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 16:51:19
@treetopflyer Said
I don't think God wants or sees us just as sheep. He wants us to know and understand why we follow him.

Does this mean you think Eve did the right thing.

regards
DL

#8New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 16:54:20
@greatestiam Said
Yes. Free will to follow instincts.

We can now override instincts with choice.

Regards
DL

But would you give it up?
iliterate_enginere On February 12, 2010

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#9New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 16:56:07
@greatestiam Said
Moral sense.

Moral sense comes from the knowledge of good and evil. Would you give it up?

The Church still prizes the Moral Sense as man's noblest asset today, although the Church knows God had a distinctly poor opinion of it and did what he could in his clumsy way to keep his happy Children of the Garden from acquiring it.

How many of us would give up our moral sense and return to animal ignorance or instincts that live without it.

I would not because it tells me why I follow God.

Would you prefer to be a sheep and follow God without knowing why?

Regards
DL

So, are you claiming that Adam and Eve acted on instinct only and didn't have a choice when they ate from the tree of knowledge?

#11New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 17:00:57
@greatestiam Said
If all here are agreeing with this view then no debate will occur.

I thought that ther were many fundies here by the responce I got to my other threads. I thought they would denounce Eve and her decission.

Time will tell.

Regards
DL

Pot stirrer! LOL I love it! 8)
shadowy On March 20, 2014

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 17:02:58
Whats to agree of disagree with? It's really a personal answer of wether or not you would prefer to have knowledge of good or evil. I don't believe that this knowledge came from a fruit though.

#14New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 17:07:54
@shadowy Said
Whats to agree of disagree with? It's really a personal answer of wether or not you would prefer to have knowledge of good or evil. I don't believe that this knowledge came from a fruit though.

i hear ya. I have read the old stories from mesopotamia and have learned that it was just another story told around the campfire and handed down by tradition. Every culture has a creation story. The world just attached to that one because writing became more prevalent.

But I still think that the question was a good one.
shadowy On March 20, 2014

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 17:11:22
@greyguitar Said
i hear ya. I have read the old stories from mesopotamia and have learned that it was just another story told around the campfire and handed down by tradition. Every culture has a creation story. The world just attached to that one because writing became more prevalent.

But I still think that the question was a good one.

There isn't much originality in the bible. Check out the story of hercules and compare it to the story of jesus.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs