Minimum Wage Law

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
Pcptrvanion On November 10, 2014

Howe, Texas
#31New Post! Jan 05, 2014 @ 16:05:01
@Electric_Banana Said

Thank f***ing God there are Golden Christs like you out there who've never even let out a s*** that stunk and did not shimmer and gleam with smug confidence.

One can be confident when speaking from experience.
I've made bad decisions.
I've been homeless.
I've worked for minimum wage.

Life was tough until I stopped whining, got off my butt, and started making better decisions.

There are a tiny handful of people in life that are just unlucky and I truly feel sorry for them. The other 99.99999% of humanity are living the lives that they have created for themselves.

If you don't like the consequences of your choices then make better choices.

Howe, Texas
#32New Post! Jan 05, 2014 @ 16:28:43
@alk1975 Said

I'm not all "minimum wage should be $15/hr or anything, but hard work is hard work and it should be valued by the people who are profiting off of it. McDonalds couldn't make a profit without the hard work of such "unskilled" workers, who by the way are not quite as unskilled as you think. Trust me, put someone truly unskilled in a fast food restaurant and things go down hill badly. There is a minimum of skill involved in even that job.

The amount of profit made by the company is NOT relevant to the wages of the unskilled labor.
I've worked many of those jobs and know exactly how hard they work.
The difficulty of the work is NOT relevant to the wages of unskilled labor.
The driving factors for wages at any level are:
- how great is the demand for this work?
- how many people are willing to do this work?

Low demand and/or a high number of workers equates to a low wage.

Higher wages are collected by those working areas of high demand or with fewer participants.
Market forces are what dictate wages...not the employees desire to own a flat screen TV.
Jihadista On July 04, 2014

Deleted

Orange,
#33New Post! Jan 05, 2014 @ 16:33:47
Lihn lives with her children, no mention of a husband, in a boathouse at the edge of the Red River in Vietnam. Her children do not have identification cards nor can they attend public schools.

Linh is one of the 1,000 women who work at the Long Bien market, the biggest wholesale night market in Ha Noi. The commercial transactions at the market run from 9 pm to 6 am.

Each night she earns seven US dollars by transporting about one tonne of goods.

The United Nations Women’s Fund for Gender Equality provides free periodic health examinations, legal help, and job opportunities to women migrant workers living near the Long Bien market.

The article did not say what kind of job opportunities.

An estimated 1,140 women and 1,090 men from five neighbourhoods in Ha Noi and six rural communes will directly benefit from interventions during the project’s three years of implementation (2013-2015), through activities such as employment training, advocacy, awareness-raising and access to healthcare.

United Nations
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#34New Post! Jan 05, 2014 @ 16:38:30
@Pcptrvanion Said

The amount of profit made by the company is NOT relevant to the wages of the unskilled labor.
I've worked many of those jobs and know exactly how hard they work.
The difficulty of the work is NOT relevant to the wages of unskilled labor.
The driving factors for wages at any level are:
- how great is the demand for this work?
- how many people are willing to do this work?

Low demand and/or a high number of workers equates to a low wage.

Higher wages are collected by those working areas of high demand or with fewer participants.
Market forces are what dictate wages...not the employees desire to own a flat screen TV.

I've worked those jobs too, lots of them, and a few of them were in such places that the owners were a regular site around the store. Those places paid better than the ones where the owners were never or rarely seen. I know the factors that contribute to wages. However, CEO's make a lot of money. In some places they choose to make less and pay more. In other places they make more and pay less. Evidence of this is comparisons between places such as costco and sams club. They are very similar places with similar profits, but one pays workers considerably more because they value their employees, value the low turn over they get as a result, and value a society where people are not dependent on welfare. My husband and I worked two different fast food places in the same city. He worked for one where you never saw the bosses. Assistant managers made a dollar more an hour than the minimum wage that employees started at, and were worked long hours, sometimes asked to work off the clock to avoid showing overtime, often worked short handed to make the labor costs, and had very low morale. I worked in a place that started assistant managers at $10/hr and gave regular raises, listened to the employees, the owners knew every employee, even the high school kids that came in for the evening shift by name. They regularly promoted within the company and morale was pretty high. Same town. Similar profits. In fact, I would dare say the cheaper place was considered a little more classy. Both were well known chains, but there was a huge difference in morale, wages, and the value placed on employees. So I dare say those market forces that are taught in your basic economics class are a large piece of the puzzle, but they are not the whole puzzle.

Howe, Texas
#35New Post! Jan 05, 2014 @ 16:51:43
@Electric_Banana Said

"Tough s*** to those who came into life without many (if any) perks."
Dude, I wasn't born too "Pretty" genes.

Most of us came into life with poor or middle class parents.
Mine were "dirt poor". Growing up, meals generally consisted of things we grew in the back yard or whatever Dad could catch in his "free time" between his three jobs.

@Electric_Banana Said

I can't cry "racist" nor complain that I am victim of sexism.

Successful people generally don't use those tactics. Thinking of yourself as a "victim" tends to limit your avenues to success.

@Electric_Banana Said

I haven't reincarnated here tens time over so I had more wisdom than my parents did and was therefor able to successfully get myself on the right track despite.

It sounds like you believe that no one can succeed without some sort of unfair advantage. Success is NOT generally the result of genes, chance, or influence. MOST successful people got to their position in life through careful choices and hard work.

@Electric_Banana Said

If this is the case, and no one is clever enough to find ways to help compensate those who came into life crippled, then for the sake of mercy there should be a tribunal by age of twenty-one where the individual is informed that their decisions have f***ed up the rest of their life and then given an option for Euthanasia.

Really?
If you don't get what you want just pout and quit?
Sounds like the logic of a six year old.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#36New Post! Jan 05, 2014 @ 17:23:10
From the OP's (Jihadista) link:

Most employees working at or near the minimum wage are not the heads of poor households.

They are typically either young (up to about 25) or are second-earners, in which case their households do not rely exclusively on them for income.

Jackson, Missouri
#37New Post! Jan 05, 2014 @ 17:38:45
@chaski Said

From the OP's (Jihadista) link:

Most employees working at or near the minimum wage are not the heads of poor households.

They are typically either young (up to about 25) or are second-earners, in which case their households do not rely exclusively on them for income.

Most doesn't mean that those who are trying to support a family are practically non existent. The most common people working for minimum wage is women in their 30s. Some of them have husbands making decent money, but some of them are a second earner upon who their family counts as much as they do the first earner, and some of them are single moms.

Those comments are highly misleading.
And in a crappy economy, it is more true than ever that people are relying on that income to make ends meet.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#38New Post! Jan 05, 2014 @ 18:17:29
@alk1975 Said

Most doesn't mean that those who are trying to support a family are practically non existent. The most common people working for minimum wage is women in their 30s. Some of them have husbands making decent money, but some of them are a second earner upon who their family counts as much as they do the first earner, and some of them are single moms.

Those comments are highly misleading.
And in a crappy economy, it is more true than ever that people are relying on that income to make ends meet.

I don't see the comments as misleading at all.

If minimum wage earners are typically either young (up to about 25) or are second-earners (and you seem to agree with the article on this point,,, at least partially), it suggests that minimum wage earners are not "children and morons" and are not necessarily people making "poor decisions".

Instead, it would suggest that minim wage earners are just getting started and filling an important niche in the world force and/or are an important part of the family unit and therefore very important to the country as a whole.

Jackson, Missouri
#39New Post! Jan 05, 2014 @ 19:34:01
@chaski Said

I don't see the comments as misleading at all.

If minimum wage earners are typically either young (up to about 25) or are second-earners (and you seem to agree with the article on this point,,, at least partially), it suggests that minimum wage earners are not "children and morons" and are not necessarily people making "poor decisions".

Instead, it would suggest that minim wage earners are just getting started and filling an important niche in the world force and/or are an important part of the family unit and therefore very important to the country as a whole.

It's misleading in that the implication is that the wages don't go to support households, and therefore there is no concern about making sure those jobs pay a living wage. I don't agree with that conclusion from the information. Remember, even 51% can be counted as "most" though it would leave a large number of people dependent on those wages. I'm not sure what the actual percentages are, but I do know that in any fast food crew, there are at least one or two heads of household. It's not as uncommon as you think.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#40New Post! Jan 05, 2014 @ 20:13:52
@alk1975 Said

It's misleading in that the implication is that the wages don't go to support households...

I did not get that from the statement nor the article, as it actually says the wages are going to the family.

@alk1975 Said

I don't agree with that conclusion from the information.

The article in question had a number of conclusions, some seem to be plausible others not so much.

@alk1975 Said

...I do know that in any fast food crew, there are at least one or two heads of household.

I don't think the article disputes that point.

I certainly didn't.

@alk1975 Said

It's not as uncommon as you think.

I am not sure where this is coming from. I don't think it is uncommon at all.

Of course not all fast food jobs/careers are at the minimum wage level.

Deleted

Orange,
#41New Post! Jan 05, 2014 @ 21:00:37
Investment Banking

Pay for investement bankers has shrunk in recent year, but to make over $100k right out of college, a career as an investment banker is still the best bet.

Analysts must have a bachelor´s degree.

A first year investment banking analyst in 2011 made a base of $70,00 and a bonus of between $60,000 and $70,000.

The bonus depends on two things: individual performance and group/firm performance.

This means that an analyst could perform well, but if his/her group/firm is not closing deals and bringing in revenue, the bonus component will suffer.

And ...

... when deals are not happening, the work load doesn’t decrease. In slower economic cycles, when bonuses decline, being an investment banker becomes less appealing given the grueling hours.

Wall Street Prep

And I bet that the United Nations will not help analysts with their work rules and medical bills like in posting #36.

Jackson, Missouri
#42New Post! Jan 05, 2014 @ 21:05:33
@chaski Said

I did not get that from the statement nor the article, as it actually says the wages are going to the family.

The article in question had a number of conclusions, some seem to be plausible others not so much.

I don't think the article disputes that point.

I certainly didn't.

I am not sure where this is coming from. I don't think it is uncommon at all.

Of course not all fast food jobs/careers are at the minimum wage level.

My impression from the first post that started this dialogue between me and you was that you were saying it's mostly young people and second earners, which reads as not essential income, so no biggie. That's where all of this is coming from. I disagree. Second earners making minimum wage are likely married to other low wage earners, many of them are single parents, etc.

Deleted

Orange,
#43New Post! Jan 05, 2014 @ 22:30:25
One study of the effect of raising the minimum wage 10% says that it would reduce the number of people living in poverty 2.4%.

That is such a trivial improvement, I must wonder why they would even publish he result. I suppose they need to fill the space with something.

Washington Post
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#44New Post! Jan 05, 2014 @ 22:48:15
@alk1975 Said

My impression from the first post that started this dialogue between me and you was that you were saying it's mostly young people and second earners, which reads as not essential income, so no biggie. That's where all of this is coming from. I disagree. Second earners making minimum wage are likely married to other low wage earners, many of them are single parents, etc.

I do not know where the author of the article got his information. Perhaps he was incorrect.

However, in the article he specifically stated that:

"Most employees working at or near the minimum wage are not the heads of poor households.

They are typically either young (up to about 25) or are second-earners, in which case their households do not rely exclusively on them for income."

This seems plausible to me.

The article does not, however, directly say, nor (IMO) does it imply, that the low income earners wages are not essential income. In fact, with the young (up to 25) it clearly would have to be essential income. In addition, particularly in today's economy, I think the clear assumptions that that the income from the second-earners is also essential income.

I already said this when I wrote: Instead, it would suggest... (that they are) ...an important part of the family unit and therefore very important to the country as a whole.

My point was that their income and jobs are important and are not based on poor life decisions, and that they are not "children" or "morons".
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#45New Post! Jan 05, 2014 @ 23:20:07
@Jihadista Said

One study of the effect of raising the minimum wage 10% says that it would reduce the number of people living in poverty 2.4%.

That is such a trivial improvement, I must wonder why they would even publish he result. I suppose they need to fill the space with something.

Washington Post

Because (from your link):

That 2.4% "...would reduce the number of people living in poverty by 4.6 million."

2.4% may sound like a trivial improvement, but 4.6 million does not sound so trivial.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs