Sunshine Land,
#91New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 01:02:22
I'd say DAMN 3 packs a DAY? DAMN!
raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#92New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 01:07:09
@el_tino Said
Well the plan I saw phased it in over 3 years.

I think it was three 70 cent raises. I want to say January 1, 2007, January 1, 2008 and the final one would be June 1, 2009.

Deleted

, Minnesota
#93New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 01:09:31
@lili Said
I'd say DAMN 3 packs a DAY? DAMN!

Yeah, and I'm going to be quitting too. I'm on my last pack. It sucks when you have to catch your breath after doing nothing more than pushing out a fart.

Deleted

, Minnesota
#94New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 01:11:23
@el_tino Said
There's also the issue of accesibility. A lot of grocery stores will jack up prices in low income areas because it can be hard for people to get to a cheaper place.

Either that, or it's because they have to make up for the loss to their business due to theft.

Deleted

, Minnesota
#95New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 01:18:47
@wildchild Said
I see your point and I do agree with you, I'm just wondering more about some other places than myself , I was sitting here looking and I only have three employees that are making less than 7 bucks an hour at this time so I'm not going to be affected to badly by this. I can cut some corners in other ares to make the math work out I'm sure. I'm one of the lower priced places around anyway because most of the other people here try to get all they can out of the tourist. I just give them a good meal at a good price.

I could be wrong, but from what I've been told if you have someone making $7.00 an hour and minimum wage was to be increased by $.40/hr you would have to raise that employees pay by $.40 so that employee would then be making $7.40/hr. This was in Indiana so it could be different there.
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#96New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 01:36:55
@johnnyposter Said
The fact that Walmart and the like are ruining the market

Please quit attacking Walmart, they may be the evil at hand at the moment, but really, they stole the idea from KMart, and KMart was the start of all of this price gouging, and lack of employee compensations
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#97New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 01:48:02
@lili Said
what bugs me is when I see people on the street smoking, and asking for change for food. I'm thinkin', hey, at $5 a pack, and who knows how many packs a week, you could be buyin' your own food. Essentially, they really want us to buy their cigarretes for them, which is completely a non-essential, and I'm not going to do that.
I know it seems off topic, but this same principle applies to the way a lot of people spend their money. They'll check how many pennies they save on their bread, and then gulp down beer or coffee like it's going out of style and then complain that they don't get paid enough. People need to learn how to prioritize their spending. So really, the solution here is not minimum wage increases, or lower/ higher prices at stores, it is that the high schools need to have a set of classes on financial education, responsibility, prioritizing, and long term planning. And not just one class, but a series of them, like social studies, language arts, history, and Financial Planning. That I think would help this country's finances more than anything.

There is no taxpayer in the American comunity who would pay for those classes (which I find essental also) to be funded. Back when education was a prioity to the people in a school system, they had programs like that. Unfortunatly, as it becomes a more sport oriented, lack of eduacation school systems, no one really cares about that stuff anymore, but man, cut funding for the all state basket ball team, and the levy passes!

Wow, have I prooved your point or what? Ha ha ha.... oh, and I did quit smoking, bc of pretty much what you said, but I'm just broker. Not bc I'm some smart finacial wizard who realized that "hey, let's live on the same means, and bank the money I'm saving!" like I idealically thought that I was going to, now, I just spend it on my kids. After my budget for the bills and stuff, and I get neccessities like clothes for them, it's all toys and taking them out to dinner or something. I could be smart and put it to collage, but really, I have no will to do that. So, once more, I proove your point! At least I was agreeing with you to begin with.
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#98New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 01:51:13
@el_tino Said
There's also the issue of accesibility. A lot of grocery stores will jack up prices in low income areas because it can be hard for people to get to a cheaper place.

Very true, and you know, some of those places, don't pay any more money to the employees eigther. Now, with gas prices the way they are, those poor people are stuck with even less.
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#99New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 01:59:54
@el_tino Said
Probably not. But I think that overall it's a good idea because people will have more money and when people have more they spend more (up to a point... a lot of really rich people don't spend any more because there's nothing left to spend it on). When people spend more, revenue goes up.

Take a town like Las Cruces, NM for example. There's a lot of poor people here and a lot of businesses barely squeaking by. If you raise the minimum wage, a lot of people have a lot more money. These people need a place to spend it... at the small businesses! Maybe all the dollar stores in town will take a hit when people have more money, but I don't really care about the dollar stores. Other stores of higher quality will win out.

I think that I just prooved that in a post. It was the mention of the money I was not saving bc of not smoking. I had it, so I spent it.
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#100New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 02:07:53
@lili Said
$2.15?! That's crazy! I thought pay like that got left behind in the '50's!

No, I used to serve, and, in a good, upscale resteraunt, you can make like 15 sometimes even 20 per hour on tips alone! This is extra income, and not even all of it has to be taxed. I can't remember the accual percentage of sales that you have to claim, but it's was always well below what I had made for that night.

Don't get me wrong, some waitresses don't come close to making that, I never worked in an upscale restauraunt, I did Denny's and Steak n Shake. I was lucky if I made an extra hundred a week., but I know people who work at places like the Olive Garden, and they would bring an extra 60 to 100 dollars a night in tips alone, not counting the wages. I even know one person, she worked near an amusement park here in Ohio, and an average friday night shift of 5 hours brought in about 250 in tips.

This is why the minimum for tipped employees is so low, but please, I still stand by the idea of TIP YOUR SERVER!
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#101New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 02:22:17
CNN: "The Senate has rejected a Republican bill to cut estate taxes and increase the federal minimum wage"

Guess it's a moot point now.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#102New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 02:25:39
@jonnythan Said
CNN: "The Senate has rejected a Republican bill to cut estate taxes and increase the federal minimum wage"

Guess it's a moot point now.

A few weeks ago they voted against a minimum wage and for a pay raise for themeselves
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#103New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 02:26:11
Congress should get paid minimum wage!
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#104New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 02:55:38
@el_tino Said
Congress should get paid minimum wage!

Accually, I think that any elected official should get paid the absolute minimum. Especially the President, who really doesn't have any bills if he doesn't want them. $12,000/yr isn't a lot, but it's even less when you have to buy your own gas, and food, and have to pay rent and other utilities. Okay, maybe not minimum, but they could at least have to pay thier own way!
WildChild On February 16, 2013
Perv Magnet

Southern Middle, Tennessee
#105New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 02:58:40
@raditz8526 Said
I could be wrong, but from what I've been told if you have someone making $7.00 an hour and minimum wage was to be increased by $.40/hr you would have to raise that employees pay by $.40 so that employee would then be making $7.40/hr. This was in Indiana so it could be different there.

I don't know either but however it goes I will abide by it, I care about my employees very much so they will be taken care of.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs