Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...7 8 9 · >>
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#16New Post! Aug 03, 2006 @ 22:37:43
@jonnythan Said
People talk of the government as if it were some infinite money reserve.

The government's money coems out of our paychecks!

You mean the government isn't an open system with money pouring in one end in limitless supply? Damn!
johnnyposter On July 03, 2011

my box behind Arbys, Ohio
#17New Post! Aug 03, 2006 @ 22:43:15
Hey, I have shopped at one grocery store ever since i can remember. But the problem my city has been in is that a Giant Eagle has moved in next to the Kroger i shop at. Hence the kroger has to lower its prices just to compete.

You say dont shop at places that pay less than nothing, but my problem is that I live 10 minutes from a Giant Eagle and 15 from 2 Walmarts (literaly 15 minutes north and south of me) so even though I dont shop there, everyone around us has to do like the Kroger, lower prices so I dont really have a choice.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#18New Post! Aug 03, 2006 @ 22:43:47
When I first found out, I was crestfallen.

Deleted

#20New Post! Aug 03, 2006 @ 22:52:01
@johnnyposter Said
Hey, I have shopped at one grocery store ever since i can remember. But the problem my city has been in is that a Giant Eagle has moved in next to the Kroger i shop at. Hence the kroger has to lower its prices just to compete.

You say dont shop at places that pay less than nothing, but my problem is that I live 10 minutes from a Giant Eagle and 15 from 2 Walmarts (literaly 15 minutes north and south of me) so even though I dont shop there, everyone around us has to do like the Kroger, lower prices so I dont really have a choice.

But that's the point. The places have to lower prices because the trend of society is to demand the lowest price. If we stopped demanding the lowest price, things would change.

We have a saying in my company "compensation drives behaviour". If we want to change the behaviour of the sales force, the fastest and easiest way to do is to start compensating them differently. If the companies with the best working conditions, and best treated staff were rewarded by us, the public, with more business, then suddenly rather than focusing on keeping prices low by cutting costs, they would find an intense desire to improve working conditions.

That's capitalism - you'll do whatever attracts the most money and keeps the bottom line up.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#22New Post! Aug 03, 2006 @ 22:53:41
Hmmm..so what could companies do that would give people an incentive to spend more even though they have an option to spend less?

#23New Post! Aug 03, 2006 @ 22:56:48
@lili Said
Hmmm..so what could companies do that would give people an incentive to spend more even though they have an option to spend less?

The fact that Walmart and the like are ruining the market
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#24New Post! Aug 03, 2006 @ 22:57:57
well, that's a general principle argument, but principles don't pay the bills.

Deleted

#25New Post! Aug 03, 2006 @ 22:58:35
@lili Said

Not a great deal, that's the problem. Higher quality goods, of course, but not everyone is that worried about quality.

If Walmart started paying all of it's employees $10 an hour minimum, it would go out of business. Either it would keep the prices the same, and not cover it's costs, or it would raise prices and no one would shop there anymore. Seriously, do you go to Walmart for the ambience?

Ultimately it's not up to the companies. It's up to us to decide that it's worth spending 50c more on a loaf of bread in order to finance the wage of someone in a low income bracket. And if you aren't prepared to do that, then you can't tell me you care about them.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#26New Post! Aug 03, 2006 @ 22:59:26
@lili Said

If you figure that out, start a Wal-Mart competitor and crush them.

Target seems to have a bit of an idea.. offer the appearance of higher quality and the feeling of exclusivity for marginally higher prices.

However, that's a strategy to simply steal a slice of the market.. it's not a strategy that would lead to owning a market.

#27New Post! Aug 03, 2006 @ 23:00:55
I love tarsjay, but I dont go there for grocerys

Deleted

#28New Post! Aug 03, 2006 @ 23:01:26
@johnnyposter Said
The fact that Walmart and the like are ruining the market

How are they ruining the market? They are giving the public what it wants - low low prices. To para-phrase Jonnythan, the fact that so many people shop at WalMart and Target is proof positive that we care only about the cost of our shopping. We want them to keep the bottom line of our receipt low. Ergo, they must keep the costs associate with all aspects of their business low.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#29New Post! Aug 03, 2006 @ 23:02:18
@johnnyposter Said
Although I disagree with most republican stances, they think that increasing minimum wage would hurt businesses and force lower income ones out of business or some crap like that.

They forget the other side of the coin which is that when people have more money they spend more money... which is good for business.

It's about time the minimum wage was increased. I think it should go to at least $8/hr though.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs