Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 9 · >>
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#106New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 03:07:52
@squirt_aka_casey Said
Accually, I think that any elected official should get paid the absolute minimum. Especially the President, who really doesn't have any bills if he doesn't want them. $12,000/yr isn't a lot, but it's even less when you have to buy your own gas, and food, and have to pay rent and other utilities. Okay, maybe not minimum, but they could at least have to pay thier own way!

I once heard a wonderful plan for keeping elected officials honest. I think it's actually from an Iain M Banks novel, but I've yet to find the source for certain.

The theory is simple. At the point of election, the president is thrown in prison, from which he leads the country. All assets and capital are frozen at this point. At the end of the term, there are three outcomes -

1. The president did a good job. They are rewarded consumate to the performance of the country as a whole, and released with a warm hand shake and the thanks of the nation.

2. The president did an average job. Assets are unfrozen, capital returned and a nominal wage paid for service.

3. President screws up, didn't keep promises, sent the economy down the toilet. Leave the bastard in there to rot.

Heheheh.
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#107New Post! Aug 04, 2006 @ 03:12:34
@stumblinthrulife Said
I once heard a wonderful plan for keeping elected officials honest. I think it's actually from an Iain M Banks novel, but I've yet to find the source for certain.

The theory is simple. At the point of election, the president is thrown in prison, from where he leads the country. All assets and capital are frozen at this point. At the end of the term, there are three outcomes -

1. The president did a good job. They are rewarded consumate to the performance of the country as a whole, and released with a warm hand shake and the thanks of the nation.

2. The president did an average job. Assets are unfrozen, capital returned and a nominal wage paid for service.

3. President screws up, didn't keep promises, sent the economy down the toilet. Leave the bastard in there to rot.

Heheheh.

I really like this plan, it really would be like he's working the everyday man's job too.... ha ha ha!
nothinsnew On September 15, 2009

Deleted

The Coast, Australia
#108New Post! Aug 05, 2006 @ 22:37:22
Wow! Seven bucks!!! Makes all that pledging s*** well worth while huh?
marshalljackson On May 05, 2007

Wellington, New Zealand
#109New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 00:48:03
$7.25 an hour?? oh my god... how are people expected to live on that? Minimum wage here in NZ is like $10 and even thats pathetic... rise up and tell your government to be reasonable and fair. They spend billions and billion of dollars killing defenceless children and familys in Iraq etc... they should give that money to the people george (apparently) cares about - you, the people of america.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#110New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 00:53:59
@marshalljackson Said
$7.25 an hour?? oh my god... how are people expected to live on that? Minimum wage here in NZ is like $10 and even thats pathetic... rise up and tell your government to be reasonable and fair. They spend billions and billion of dollars killing defenceless children and familys in Iraq etc... they should give that money to the people george (apparently) cares about - you, the people of america.

is that in US dollars and what is the cost of living like?
marshalljackson On May 05, 2007

Wellington, New Zealand
#111New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 01:03:03
@el_tino Said
is that in US dollars and what is the cost of living like?

NZ dollars, I understand the cost of living is similar to most US citys. According to american friends I have the price-of-product-ratio is the same. So there is very little difference between the tow countys in that sence.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#112New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 01:08:36
@marshalljackson Said
NZ dollars, I understand the cost of living is similar to most US citys. According to american friends I have the price-of-product-ratio is the same. So there is very little difference between the tow countys in that sence.

well that translates to about $6.25 USD
raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#113New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 01:13:39
@marshalljackson Said

People aren't expected to live on minimum wage. Minimum wage is intended for high school students just entering the job market with minimum skill, minimum talent, minimum education and minimum worth to the company, not single parents trying to raise a family of four. If you are over the age of 20 and all you can manage to get is a minimum wage job, you are a loser.

If people want to be fair, abolish the minimum wage. Pay people what they are actually worth to the company, not what some a** hole politician thinks they are worth.

Deleted

#114New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 01:15:20
@raditz8526 Said
People aren't expected to live on minimum wage. Minimum wage is intended for high school students just entering the job market with minimum skill, minimum talent, minimum education and minimum worth to the company, not single parents trying to raise a family of four. If you are over the age of 20 and all you can manage to get is a minimum wage job, you are a loser.

If people want to be fair, abolish the minimum wage. Pay people what they are actually worth to the company, not what some a** hole politician thinks they are worth.

Don't hold back, Raditz, say what you really think!
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#115New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 01:52:17
@raditz8526 Said

Abolishing the minimum wage is not the answer. There are many teens I know who have to work to help pay the bills. I dunno, I just think that there are many other answers to that than dropping the bottom out from under us.
mammothmeat On October 25, 2007

Trondheim, Norway
#116New Post! Aug 12, 2006 @ 19:34:56
First off.. Sorry to dig up this old thread!

I wouldn't even consider working for less than $10 an hour.

The last job I had (electronic assembly) payed $15,25 to start with, and gradually went up to around $16 an hour. (figures are not 100% representative, but you get the idea)

Now, keep in mind that this was a company that helps people get back to work from long periods of illness and/or other disabilities and they pay LESS than you would normally get for the same job. Their reasoning for this was so people would be motivated to get a "real" job and make more money.

The average worker in norway earns $55k+ a year.
mammothmeat On October 25, 2007

Trondheim, Norway
#117New Post! Aug 12, 2006 @ 19:38:27
I don't even have a job, and I get about $15.500 a year
It doesn't allow for much unnessecary expenses, but it's enough to get by.. barely

Deleted

#118New Post! Aug 12, 2006 @ 19:43:06
@mammothmeat Said
First off.. Sorry to dig up this old thread!

I wouldn't even consider working for less than $10 an hour.

The last job I had (electronic assembly) payed $15,25 to start with, and gradually went up to around $16 an hour. (figures are not 100% representative, but you get the idea)

Now, keep in mind that this was a company that helps people get back to work from long periods of illness and/or other disabilities and they pay LESS than you would normally get for the same job. Their reasoning for this was so people would be motivated to get a "real" job and make more money.

The average worker in norway earns $55k+ a year.

Some questions, if I may.

1. What is the unemployment rate in Norway (I could find out, I guess but I can't be bothered)?

2. Electronic assembly is not really grunt work. What are the discount retailers paying shelf-stackers and check out persons?
johnnyposter On July 03, 2011

my box behind Arbys, Ohio
#119New Post! Aug 12, 2006 @ 19:46:09
Why do you get payed for not having a job?

Deleted

#120New Post! Aug 12, 2006 @ 19:46:44
OK, I got off my a** and checked it out. Norway's unemployment rate is 4.5%, slightly below the US figure of 4.8%. Norway does not have a minimum wage in place, but wages seem to be heavily negotiated by unions.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs