Millions Have Been Killed By The Religious

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! May 16, 2010 @ 14:58:14
Millions have been killed by the non-religious.

Personally it is an argument which I have always hated, from both Theists and Anti-Theists. The idea that by talking of all those that have dies in the name of religion that religion is therefore false.

The argument of Theism is either God exists or God does not exist. Yet t is an increasingly common argument that goes like this:

'Thousands have been killed in God's name' to somehow prove that God does not exist. Similarly I've heard the argument 'Look at Stalin, he was an Atheist and massacred millions'.

In my opinion these are moral arguments, not arguments about God in any way. The likes of Stalin did not kill because they were Atheist, and an Atheist killing many doesn't prove that God is either good or exists.

Whether there is good, or whether there is not does not matter, the question is simple, does God exist or does God not exist? It matters not what those who believe or do not believe think, it has no place in arguments about God's existence imo.

What are your thoughts?
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#2New Post! May 16, 2010 @ 15:08:18
I didn't realise it was a competition?
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! May 16, 2010 @ 15:26:49
There is usually some form of belief or reasoning behind mass killings - some religious, some political. It doesn't really make a difference to me, it's still death.

It also doesn't sway me towards Atheism or any particular religion.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#4New Post! May 16, 2010 @ 15:39:35
As I read this topic, I keep thinking "guns don't kill people, people kill people".

Don't mean to be flippant but frankly I'm no fan of organized religion. Nor am I a fan of rabid and zealous political machines. Both tend to acquire unchecked power and leave victims by the score behind them.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#5New Post! May 16, 2010 @ 16:35:52
@SparklyKatie Said

I didn't realise it was a competition?

I think he's referring to the extremists...I think .
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#6New Post! May 16, 2010 @ 16:37:53
I sort of mean all these arguments you hear from both camps about religion. As if the fact that certain evil people from either proves that the other camp is evil. It annoys me as a pathetic argument.

Stalin was evil not because he was an Atheist but because he was evil, similarly Hitler was evil not because he was a Catholic but because he was evil. I hate that people are trying to attribute these evil characters with theism or atheism.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#7New Post! May 16, 2010 @ 16:39:05
@sTreetAngeL Said

Yeah I just don't get how one side can claim a moral victory by saying they 'only' murdered 10 million people as opposed to 20 million.

100% of murders are commited by people. Religion or a lack of it shouldn't even matter.
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#8New Post! May 16, 2010 @ 16:39:48
@jmo Said

I sort of mean all these arguments you hear from both camps about religion. As if the fact that certain evil people from either proves that the other camp is evil. It annoys me as a pathetic argument.

Stalin was evil not because he was an Atheist but because he was evil, similarly Hitler was evil not because he was a Catholic but because he was evil. I hate that people are trying to attribute these evil characters with theism or atheism.

That would be because you can think for yourself; and you are 100% correct!!
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#9New Post! May 16, 2010 @ 16:40:05
Yeah... I've never quite understood either how the actions of man could be used as a reflection on god, let alone proof one way or the other of his existence. At best the countless deaths are a reflection on the church, but that's a separate matter and says little about the actual beliefs.
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#10New Post! May 16, 2010 @ 16:45:09
@chisa96 Said

Yeah... I've never quite understood either how the actions of man could be used as a reflection on god, let alone proof one way or the other of his existence. At best the countless deaths are a reflection on the church, but that's a separate matter and says little about the actual beliefs.

"At best the countless deaths are a reflection on the church"

Or the church ends up getting the blame for the actions of one person; acting in an extreme, and in my opinion, hypocrital manner.

But as jmo has said, and I completely agree, it boils down to the 'individual', and the evil solely within them ..no reflection on anyone else 'but' them.
deeFXCKINGjay On January 21, 2012
Bannned

, Kazakhstan
#11New Post! May 16, 2010 @ 16:47:10
@sTreetAngeL Said

he's talking about the idiocy of talking about The crusade, the inquisition, the colonialism, the civil war in ireland, etc, etc
NikiNiki On January 04, 2011

Deleted

Villa Park, California
#12New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 15:21:32
I think that everybody has a religion of one kind or another, so saying that violence results from religion is like saying that violence results from noses or toes.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#13New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 00:28:06
====
JMO: Millions have been killed by the non-religious.

E: Yes, and millions have been killed by the religious.
----
JMO: Personally it is an argument which I have always hated, from both Theists and Anti-Theists.

E: What is the argument?

E: Anti-theist describes those who are against theism. (Is that correct?) There are theists (who believe in the existence of a divinity), there are atheists (who do not believe in the existence of a divinity), there are agnostics (who believe that the existence or non-existence of a divinity cannot be known), there are the ambivalent, and there are the apathetic. Most anti-theists are probably atheist, although most atheists are probably not anti-theist.

JMO: The idea that by talking of all those that have died in the name of religion that religion is therefore false.

E: Religion refers to beliefs concerning the existence, nature of deities. I do not see how dying for a belief suggests that the belief is either true or false; it does, however, suggest that the believer felt very strongly about the belief.

JMO: Either God exists or God does not exist.

E: I agree

JMO: 'Thousands have been killed in God's name' so God does not exist.?

E: That makes no sense.

JMO: Stalin, he was an Atheist and massacred millions'.

E: Stalin, if you ask me, was not very nice. Neither was Hitler, Churchill, Roosevelt, or Hirohito.

JMO: These are moral arguments, not arguments about God.

E: Killing others because of religious belief may suggest to those who believe that killing others is wrong that the religious beliefs of the killers are wrong. Those who kill because of religious belief are of the opinion that they are doing good. In either event, believing one way or the other does not disprove the existence of a deity.

JMO: Stalin did not kill because they were Atheist, and an Atheist killing many doesn't prove that God is either good or exists.

E: I agree

JMO: Whether there is good, or whether there is not does not matter.

E: Whether or not and action is good or bad is opinion.

JMO: the question is simple, does God exist or does God not exist?

E: That seems to be the question.

JMO: It matters not what those who believe or do not believe think, it has no place in arguments about God's existence.

E: I agree with you.
roxyfoxypuddingpie On May 27, 2010

Deleted

Zombieland, Canada
#14New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 00:35:10
I say kill them all.
And eat thier cookies.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#15New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 00:43:53
====
JMO: I sort of mean all these arguments you hear from both camps about religion. As if the fact that certain evil people from either proves that the other camp is evil. It annoys me as a pathetic argument.

E: Deep breaths JMO, no advantage in getting irritated.

JMO: Stalin was evil not because he was an Atheist but because he was evil, similarly Hitler was evil not because he was a Catholic but because he was evil. I hate that people are trying to attribute these evil characters with theism or atheism.

E: I did not know Hitler was a Catholic. You would think he would be the last person to choose a Jew for a God. I will goggle it. Do you remember your source?

E: If a religion (belief system) has its believers act in a way that non-believers consider evil (harmful) then, to the non-believers, the actions, beliefs, and religion of the believers is evil. Good and evil is in the eye (mind of the beholder)
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs