Q & A

Media

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 12, 2013 @ 15:11:04
Why is it that although thousands of people go missing in a year only some will be in the media?

I understand that they couldn't report every single person but there's been a lot in the press at the moment about a girl who has gone missing. Why do they choose to concentrate on her case? She's 14 but there are other 14 year olds who will have gone missing recently.

It's the same with murders etc, what makes them choose to focus on the people they focus on?
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#2New Post! Aug 12, 2013 @ 19:18:48
I've always wondered this too.
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#3New Post! Aug 12, 2013 @ 19:29:39
Because missing cases about "privileged, cute, white teenage girls" somehow takes media priority over all other missing cases.
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 09:12:58
@psycoskunk Said

Because missing cases about "privileged, cute, white teenage girls" somehow takes media priority over all other missing cases.

I used to think that but the current missing girl doesn't fit that description.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#5New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 20:10:44
Typically, its young white attractive girls that become the focus of the media. Sometimes media will break from the typical and someone not fitting this description will become their focus but that is pretty rare.

Usually its the parents who press the media to focus on their child and then other networks puck up the story once local media airs it and public becomes fascinated with the case.

Grieving parents= ratings.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#6New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 21:05:47
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22441124

Research shows that in terms of crime victims, they are people who we view as being like us - like those who are covering the events or reading about them," he says.

"Our national ideal of who is vulnerable - and who holds victim status - are those who are white and female."
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#7New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 23:21:47
@restoreone Said

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22441124

Research shows that in terms of crime victims, they are people who we view as being like us - like those who are covering the events or reading about them," he says.

"Our national ideal of who is vulnerable - and who holds victim status - are those who are white and female."

That's what I said.

Though I will say, while I find Nancy Grace annoying, one thing about her show, she is equal in giving coverage to all victims. I have seen more victims or missing people on her show who are say black, in one year, than on any new network in my entire life. She does not have a color bias, she works on more the circumstances of it and even she herself has remarked on lack of coverage for minorities and aims to fix that on her show.
smallBUTTerflies On January 07, 2020
Weaker than homeopat

Plymouth,
#8New Post! Aug 14, 2013 @ 01:52:43
@Silver_Lining Said

Why is it that although thousands of people go missing in a year only some will be in the media?

I understand that they couldn't report every single person but there's been a lot in the press at the moment about a girl who has gone missing. Why do they choose to concentrate on her case? She's 14 but there are other 14 year olds who will have gone missing recently.

It's the same with murders etc, what makes them choose to focus on the people they focus on?

I think it might be the danger factor. Like, if a kid is taken by someone who is a known killer or who threatened violence/is a felon, that takes precedent over a kid who ran away when they have a history of being dramatic or delinquent. It also has to do with whether or not the public would take interest. Its much more exciting to learn about a killer on the loose with a kidnapped child than it is to see that a kid ran from home because his mom didn't make him hot pockets. The media plays what the people want to hear I guess is what I'm saying.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#9New Post! Aug 14, 2013 @ 01:53:39
@Silver_Lining Said

She is special.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#10New Post! Aug 14, 2013 @ 01:59:24
Maybe they focus on cases where there is a greater likelihood of foul play? Many people that go missing, go missing of their own volition, and so that is not really newsworthy - but here in Australia at the moment, there is a case about a young Asian girl that has been making the headlines, as she disappeared on her way to school, and it is unlikely that she ran away.
puzZles On November 13, 2020

Inside my mind's mind, United
#11New Post! Aug 14, 2013 @ 17:11:39
Prolly they just ran out of s*** to report for that day, so grabbed it.
No one person is more important than another; the circumstances may be however.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs