The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Massive cuts . . . in the rate of increase of government spending!!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
magicgoat On July 05, 2013

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#1New Post! Feb 27, 2013 @ 16:21:56
Two days until sequestration takes effect. Both the Legislature and Chief Executive are pointing fingers at each other and sounding the alarm that the sky is falling!!

But it was their idea. So, let it happen. This is the only thing in recent history which resembles a cut in Federal government spending.
Corey On January 25, 2022

Sacramento, California
#2New Post! Feb 28, 2013 @ 03:15:30
Just another example of how simple it looks until you actually try to do something. In future we should ask to see not just tax returns of candidates but college transcripts. If they majored in "underwater basket weaving" they might just not understand anything.

Corey.
pinkgummybears On April 29, 2013

, Tennessee
#3New Post! Feb 28, 2013 @ 14:01:22
I am all for spending cuts. We have needed a solid budget in this country for a long time. I agree with the sequester, but I am not 100% sure that I like all of the areas that we are cutting from. And the budget cuts are only going to be effective if we maintain the levels of spending in other areas, which I am not sure Obama can do.

I don't think I like the cuts made to education. I don't want to see under privileged and developmentally delayed children struggling because of cuts to Pre K and Head Start programs.

I also think the cuts to Airlines and possibly OSHA could cause a little chaos.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#4New Post! Feb 28, 2013 @ 14:14:04
@pinkgummybears Said
And the budget cuts are only going to be effective if we maintain the levels of spending in other areas, which I am not sure Obama can do.

Obama can't do a thing about it.

Congress makes the budget, and Obama is required by law to spend every last dime that congress appropriates. He can't cut a penny, or add a penny, or move a penny. This falls entirely on congress.

70,000 kids will start going without free breakfast and lunch in the next couple of weeks..

More than a million private sector employees will see their hours (and pay) cut by 20% in the next two weeks. That will trickle down, and absolutely destroy the extremely fragile recovery that we're experiencing.

But no matter.. Democrats in congress will keep pointing at the republicans, and republicans will keep pointing at Obama.. and the idiots outside of the beltway, who don't have a f***ing clue about how our government works will believe which ever side they agree with.

Nothing will change, and the middle class will be f***ed.

And even worse, people will vote the exact same a*****es back into congress in 2014, because it's not "their" guy who's the a*****e, it's everyone elses.

I've already written my (democratic) senators and representative, and told them that if they don't stop the bulls***, and start to work together that I'll vote for anyone who opposes them in the next election. I'd suggest that everyone else in the US does the same.

But it won't happen.
pinkgummybears On April 29, 2013

, Tennessee
#5New Post! Feb 28, 2013 @ 14:41:56
@boxer Said

Obama can't do a thing about it.

Congress makes the budget, and Obama is required by law to spend every last dime that congress appropriates. He can't cut a penny, or add a penny, or move a penny. This falls entirely on congress.

70,000 kids will start going without free breakfast and lunch in the next couple of weeks..

More than a million private sector employees will see their hours (and pay) cut by 20% in the next two weeks. That will trickle down, and absolutely destroy the extremely fragile recovery that we're experiencing.

But no matter.. Democrats in congress will keep pointing at the republicans, and republicans will keep pointing at Obama.. and the idiots outside of the beltway, who don't have a f***ing clue about how our government works will believe which ever side they agree with.

Nothing will change, and the middle class will be f***ed.

And even worse, people will vote the exact same a*****es back into congress in 2014, because it's not "their" guy who's the a*****e, it's everyone elses.

I've already written my (democratic) senators and representative, and told them that if they don't stop the bulls***, and start to work together that I'll vote for anyone who opposes them in the next election. I'd suggest that everyone else in the US does the same.

But it won't happen.

I know, and I agree.

Basically I don't think we will get through the next four years without allowing money to be dumped into other nonsense areas, after cutting from some nonsense areas and some fairly critical areas.

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#6New Post! Feb 28, 2013 @ 14:45:27
It's unfortunate that the spending cuts will be sort of indiscriminate. But, if this is what it takes to keep a dysfunctional government working within budget, then so be it. This is also a splendid time for societal leeches to get a nice wake-up when the services they depend on are no longer available.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#7New Post! Feb 28, 2013 @ 14:52:25
@magicgoat Said

It's unfortunate that the spending cuts will be sort of indiscriminate. But, if this is what it takes to keep a dysfunctional government working within budget, then so be it. This is also a splendid time for societal leeches to get a nice wake-up when the services they depend on are no longer available.

70,000 children who are going to lose what is probably the only nutritious food they get all week are "societal leeches"???

Very christian of you.

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#8New Post! Feb 28, 2013 @ 14:58:30
@boxer Said

70,000 children who are going to lose what is probably the only nutritious food they get all week are "societal leeches"???

Very christian of you.

Our duty is to "teach a man to fish."

The European response is to assume the goodness we do is channeled through the state program. The Christian response is for the Church to feed the poor and train them to feed themselves.

Whatever the strategy, it is far crueler to build dependency on an empty promise with no ability to follow through. That's what we have done. We Americans have made promises we shouldn't have made to the needy. The lesson will be painful.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#9New Post! Feb 28, 2013 @ 15:02:35
@magicgoat Said

Our duty is to "teach a man to fish."

The European response is to assume the goodness we do is channeled through the state program. The Christian response is for the Church to feed the poor and train them to feed themselves.

Whatever the strategy, it is far crueler to build dependency on an empty promise with no ability to follow through. That's what we have done. We Americans have made promises we shouldn't have made to the needy. The lesson will be painful.

Yeah... who really cares if a bunch of poor kids starve to death... That's what jesus would do.. he'd let them starve.

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#10New Post! Feb 28, 2013 @ 15:11:01
@boxer Said

Yeah... who really cares if a bunch of poor kids starve to death... That's what jesus would do.. he'd let them starve.

The point is to avoid what got the country of Greece in trouble. If we are to serve the common man, it is with enough forethought to know that dependency cannot be sustained. Other solutions, such as two-parent homes, is the answer.

As single parents are desperate for answers, they may need to take personal stock as to why they got themselves in such a quandary.

There won't be mass starvation in the US.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#11New Post! Feb 28, 2013 @ 15:17:18
@magicgoat Said

The point is to avoid what got the country of Greece in trouble. If we are to serve the common man, it is with enough forethought to know that dependency cannot be sustained. Other solutions, such as two-parent homes, is the answer.

As single parents are desperate for answers, they may need to take personal stock as to why they got themselves in such a quandary.

There won't be mass starvation in the US.

So, single parent households, because Dad is serving his country in Afghanistan shouldn't be tolerated..

All men and women with children should be ineligible for military service, and any servicemen or women who decide to start a family while enlisted should be dishonorably discharged..

That works.. then we don't need to support them and their families, and the discharge means that we don't need to pay for their medical care or give them pensions either.

Great thinking.

And the two parent families that have been struggling because one of them has been unemployed should just have their children taken, and those children can be placed in workhouses where they can do menial tasks for their keep until those lazy parents find a job.

And the men and women who are struggling because their partner has died should simply find someone, and marry, or send their children to workhouses as well..

You've really thought this out.

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#12New Post! Feb 28, 2013 @ 15:24:13
@boxer Said

So, single parent households, because Dad is serving his country in Afghanistan shouldn't be tolerated..

All men and women with children should be ineligible for military service, and any servicemen or women who decide to start a family while enlisted should be dishonorably discharged..

That works.. then we don't need to support them and their families, and the discharge means that we don't need to pay for their medical care or give them pensions either.

Great thinking.

And the two parent families that have been struggling because one of them has been unemployed should just have their children taken, and those children can be placed in workhouses where they can do menial tasks for their keep until those lazy parents find a job.

And the men and women who are struggling because their partner has died should simply find someone, and marry, or send their children to workhouses as well..

You've really thought this out.

I think the workhouse thing was a nice touch. I would have used it if you hadn't. You get bonus points for that.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#13New Post! Feb 28, 2013 @ 15:28:16
@magicgoat Said

I think the workhouse thing was a nice touch. I would have used it if you hadn't. You get bonus points for that.

I think you're a selfish, ignorant a*****e, who cares for nobody but himself.

Feel free to use that.

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#14New Post! Feb 28, 2013 @ 15:38:12
@boxer Said

I think you're a selfish, ignorant a*****e, who cares for nobody but himself.

Feel free to use that.

I run a chain of workhouses here in the US and that just happens to be in our code of conduct. You must be psychic.

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#15New Post! Feb 28, 2013 @ 16:53:49
Sorry I can't exaggerate. In truth I only played a workhouse boy for the musical Oliver back in 1982.

"More? You want more?"

I love Charles d***ens.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs