News & Current Events

Mass shooting at Batman premiere in Colorado

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 · >>
scardycat On May 17, 2014

, Australia
#1New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 14:14:36
THE full horror of the Colorado cinema shooting is becoming clearer, with confirmation that children are among 12 people slaughtered by a gunman.

The chaos erupted about 12.30am time when a masked gunman opened fire as people watched the new Batman Movie.
The gunman stood at the front of one of the theatres at the Aurora Mall as the movie was playing.
The gunman was said to have used teargas during the incident and also shot a baby.
It is also said to have been wearing armour and a gas mask - with some suggesting he was dressed as Batman villain Bane from the movie.

To see the video and more go to

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/mass-shooting-at-batman-premiere-in-colorado/story-fnd134gw-1226431167005
Conflict On about 11 hours ago

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#2New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 14:45:13
I read of this half an hour ago. Truly shocking, it is. Are we to believe that the Dark Knight or a character of the film inspired such an attack? Is subliminal messaging so insidious it will drive us to commit this kind of aggression?

I hope there is a rational explanation for what happened.
smallBUTTerflies On January 07, 2020
Weaker than homeopat

Plymouth,
#3New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 14:50:17
And people don't understand why the 2nd amendment is absurd these days.
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#4New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 14:54:11
I suppose we must be thankful it wasn't in the Movie Ted,I'd have hated to see some galah in a big Teddy Bear suit jump up and start smoking a bong .

As for the real massacre what do I say?? Only in America??
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 14:55:49
Another horrific shooting. More loss of life.

I don't know the details but I'm guessing that the individual who carried this awful act out probably owned his weapons quite legally.

I don't know what his motivation for doing this was, but no "reason" will be adequate to justify such an appalling act.

I couldn't say how many times this has happened in the US this year, but I'm sure it isn't the first, and it probably won't be the last.

I wish I could say it could never happen here, but I can't. The only comfort we can take is that it happens here much less frequently.

The only thing that could be said with any certainty is that nothing will change over there. Nobody will do anything to prevent something like this ever happening again. What is more likely, is that more people will go out and buy guns in the mistaken belief that doing so will make them safer.

All we can do here is make sure that we never change our gun laws. We cannot guarantee these things will never happen here, but we can reduce the risk as much as possible by sensible gun control laws.

I'm truly sorry those people died. They didn't deserve to have a madman take their lives. There isn't anything else that can be said. None of this makes any sense.

sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 15:14:03
Horrible that some people feel compelled to act like that, such a tragic loss of life. I certainly wouldn't want to spend my last few minutes on earth watching Batman of all things.
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#7New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 15:32:24
A Denver resident posted a play-by-play on Reddit, for anyone interested.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/wv4q2/someone_came_into_our_theater_at_the_midnight/c5gq9c0
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#8New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 15:57:42
Oh my gosh. That's awful.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#9New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 16:49:05
@Jennifer1984 Said

Another horrific shooting. More loss of life.

I don't know the details but I'm guessing that the individual who carried this awful act out probably owned his weapons quite legally.

I don't know what his motivation for doing this was, but no "reason" will be adequate to justify such an appalling act.

I couldn't say how many times this has happened in the US this year, but I'm sure it isn't the first, and it probably won't be the last.

I wish I could say it could never happen here, but I can't. The only comfort we can take is that it happens here much less frequently.

The only thing that could be said with any certainty is that nothing will change over there. Nobody will do anything to prevent something like this ever happening again. What is more likely, is that more people will go out and buy guns in the mistaken belief that doing so will make them safer.

All we can do here is make sure that we never change our gun laws. We cannot guarantee these things will never happen here, but we can reduce the risk as much as possible by sensible gun control laws.

I'm truly sorry those people died. They didn't deserve to have a madman take their lives. There isn't anything else that can be said. None of this makes any sense.

Your anti-American rantings here reminds me of the political opportunist behavior ex-NRA President Charlton Heston used to exhibit after school shootings, holding rallies in the city the next day.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#10New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 17:36:41
This is the only story on the news, which I have had to listen to, since about 6:00 am, and now, momentarily, the Aurora Police are to be holding a press conference....

I pray for the victims, and wonder,....why?
drummerwannabe On June 17, 2019
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#11New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 18:16:03
just watched the press conference... 71 injured total with 12 dead...

This is horrible.
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 18:24:14
i read earlier that the killings today ..represent less than half a days quota for a yearly average of gun deaths in the usa ...and that it is the rule rather than the exception .... it's an interesting point .... we only deem gun deaths horrific if they occur in a killing spree and are quite comfortable with the same number of gun deaths if they are spread across the land in seperate incidents ... my logic regards the seperate incidents scenario as more horrific ..because it's telling us that there are many people who are willing to resort to killing with a gun ..not just the occassional nut job !
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 18:27:35
@smallBUTTerflies Said

is that amendment regarding the right to bear arms ?
vekta On November 18, 2013

#14New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 18:39:09
@smallBUTTerflies Said

I was watching the report thinking "oh great...here we go again" Then I logged on...just waiting for someone to say something exactly like that.

First of all...butterflies. 2nd amendment or no second amendment. It would not have made any difference. What we know right now is that he had guns, yes. We also know that he's entire apartment is rigged with incendiary and chemical devices that the Aurora police chief believes might take up to 3 days for the bomb squad just to figure out what exactly they're dealing with.

Now lets put two and two together...had he not had any guns what in your mind missed the fact that he could have walked in to that theater and start chuckin home-made pipe bombs into every one of those theaters? If the 2nd amendment is so dangerous then perhaps we should also ban the education he received that gave him the technical understand enough to build incendiary and chemical weapons.

According to the report from the Aurora police cheif himself he had a ballistic helmet and full body armor. These things are illegal for a civilian to purchase without a ton of paperwork and signed approval last time I checked. It's been that way since the Hollywood Shootout. A lot of good that law did huh?

Also...I remember there being questions about the need for off duty police officers to be armed while off duty. Well here is why *motions to new report* Unfortunately, no off duty police where at that theater on this particular night.

This also brings me to the point about civilians being allowed to exercise there 2nd amendment rights. The Aurora Police Department did an excellent job responding. I see no way they could have done any better. I wish those guys were policing my city as a matter of fact. 1 minute response time? Yes, please! But the fact remains. They are only human and cannot be everywhere or get to every call fast enough. That is why civilians should be allowed to exercise there 2nd amendment rights more readily because the police aren't super human nor omnipotent.

That's all I'll say about it because I'm likely to have an Pulmonary Embolism from the stress of explain to people over...and over...and over again why it's absurd that you think it's absurd.

TheMuse On February 15, 2016

#15New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 19:40:39
Common sense is a stretch for some folks....apparently. So I'm going to lay it out for you: IF ANY ADULT IN THAT THEATER WAS CARRYING CONCEALED, TRAINED IN HOW TO USE THEIR WEAPON, NO ONE IN COLORADO WOULD BE DEAD EXCEPT THE CRIMINAL
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs