Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#1New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 20:19:08
Clicky

Brynley Potter had just dropped off a customer at Queen Alexandra Hospital when he was stopped by police on his way back into the city.
He told officers that it had been foggy up on Portsdown Hill where the hospital is located. However, he left the fog behind as he came back down but forgot to turn the lights off.
Mr Potter, 50, was then stunned when the police handed him a ?30 penalty ticket, saying it was an offence to drive with the fog lights on when it is clear.
'I'd made about ?25 that night and when he gave me a ?30 ticket it wound me up. I said "you're having a laugh",' said Mr Potter.....................Mr Potter, of Jervis Road, Stamshaw, found himself in court after refusing to pay up. On Tuesday he was sentenced to five days in prison for non-payment of a fine.

Good to see while gangs make life miserable for old people, while this useless government lets foreign criminals who should have been deported loose to re-offend and murder -and they frankly don't have a clue where these criminals are - the police and so-called justice system have their priorities right and at great public expense charge and jail a guy for - leaving on his car lights.

Brilliant
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 20:22:35
He didn't go to jail for leaving his car lights on.

He went to jail for refusing to pay a traffic fine.

You may wish to update the thread title with something that is actually true and not sensationalistic.
ibebatman On May 16, 2007

Renwick, United Kingdom
#3New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 20:26:40
yeah, but when you think about it, the pigs are getting at people for leaving fog lights on for god knows what reason, and they give up on things like gangs, as you said. welcome to the UK...
bandylank On June 22, 2006

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 20:28:55
@ibebatman Said
yeah, but when you think about it, the pigs are getting at people for leaving fog lights on for god knows what reason

Because it is illegal
@ibebatman Said
and they give up on things like gangs

Yes, thats right, just as they arrested this man, some gangster did a drive by and the cops just ignored it

Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 20:30:12
ibebatman On May 16, 2007

Renwick, United Kingdom
#6New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 20:32:04
you never know
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 20:33:34
Funnily enough, the cops that are pulling people over for traffic offences aren't the same cops that are dealing with rioting.

Is your suggestion that if we aren't doing a good job of tackling some crime, we may as well forget about all crime?

Have you ever been dazzled by fog lights when they aren't needed? I have. I was driving out in the middle of nowhere in the dark. It wasn't foggy. Someone came around the corner with their fog lights and high beams on. I could see nothing. I had to slow right down, because I knew the corner was coming up, but couldn't see s*** due to this a*****e. I could easily have driven over the edge of the mountain, and fell to my death. THAT is why it's illegal to have your fog lights on when they aren't needed.

I find it difficult to believe that the guy only said "you're having a laugh" too. Anyone who's taken a taxi cab in England can imagine the amount of verbal abuse that probably flowed freely. If he didn't want to go to prison, he should have paid the fine.
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#8New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 20:34:07
Good thread Sheepy.

Its typical lazy policing. They take him in and leave the streets open to all the hoods that would be a real pain in the arse to deal with.

Who would they rather deal with. A poor man trying to make a living or some drugged out wee s***e who messes up the back of the patrol car.

Deleted

#9New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 20:35:57
So we should only enforce certain laws and not others?
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 20:37:21
@stumblinthrulife Said
So we should only enforce certain laws and not others?

Welcome back Doug

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 20:37:24
By the looks of it, traffic laws just dont matter to some people, and traffic cops shouls tackle gangs and stuff, even though they are TRAFFIC cops
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#12New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 20:38:13
Welcome to Propaganda class today, everyone.

Our first lesson is concerning correlative-based logical fallacies.

First in our list is the logical fallacy called "false choice." Here is an excellent example:
@bendover Said
Its typical lazy policing. They take him in and leave the streets open to all the hoods that would be a real pain in the arse to deal with.

Who would they rather deal with. A poor man trying to make a living or some drugged out wee s***e who messes up the back of the patrol car.
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#13New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 20:39:13
Well fairy nuff, people leaving their foglights on are a pain, and it can cause accidents.
It just seems that this is a sledgehammer to crack a very small nut. Surely issuing a larger fine - and making a payment order would have been better.
There's a bit of a thing over here at the moment that police seem to be obsessed with motoring offenses, whilst we all hear stories about police being too busy to come out and deal with disturbances. Suppose you have to be hearing these stories all the time to get why this story is so crazy and laughable.

Deleted

#14New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 20:40:00
Also, I feel compelled to point out that the way this was dealt with was a fine, that took all of about 5 minutes to administer. That it ended up in court, and later jail, is the fault of the driver refusing to pay the fine.

I'm sure all concerned would rather not have put the guy in jail. It's going to be costing money that I'm sure the government would prefer not to pay. But at the end of the day there has to be a motivation to pay the pay the fine. Otherwise, no one would pay fines, and hence they wouldn't fear fines, and hence they are no longer a deterant to behaviour that is undesirable.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#15New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 20:42:07
@sheepy Said

It just seems that this is a sledgehammer to crack a very small nut. Surely issuing a larger fine - and making a payment order would have been better.

Hardly, he was warned before and how do you know they didnt increase the fine? Because the media didnt say so?
Plus, he is going to winchester prison, just up the road from me, it may be a cat B but its soft as a bunny in there
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs