Religion

Making a living off Religion??

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#1New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 15:14:24
I just read that last post about the money grubbing preachers and this made me think...

It's just odd to me and it doesn't make sense to me why one would seek or choose to live off the money of other when providing a religious service.

or am I totally missing something here? does the state / local government pay said preachers or is their income solely on the church?
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#2New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 16:45:09
Not all preachers are money hungry. The Gov. can't pay the ministers/ preachers in the states because of separation of church and state, so it is up to the individual churches and in some cases, dioceses.
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#3New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 19:06:55
@deal1 Said

Not all preachers are money hungry. The Gov. can't pay the ministers/ preachers in the states because of separation of church and state, so it is up to the individual churches and in some cases, dioceses.

I figured as much..
still
selling religion ...
it just doesn't sit right.
Aden On November 28, 2014

, Canada
#4New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 19:18:47
Why do they do it? Cause these people who have no idea of what they believe in other than the fact that they need a God out there so they have some small thread to grasp on are willing and insane enough to pay this guy who's smart enough to use and abuse the system.

Deal1 is right. Some priest aren't all money hungry. The rest prefer the little boys.

There isn't really much about religion that IS right.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 19:21:21
@JuanSmith Said

I just read that last post about the money grubbing preachers and this made me think...

It's just odd to me and it doesn't make sense to me why one would seek or choose to live off the money of other when providing a religious service.

or am I totally missing something here? does the state / local government pay said preachers or is their income solely on the church?

Do the Jesuits count?

The lecturers at the university I'm hoping to go to are Jesuits, so teach there for free, as it's a part of their faith. Does this count as living off of the money of others?

Just wondering.

If so then in that case I don't see anything wrong with it, and I think those whose life's work is the church and who are there every day as high established members of the clergy should be paid for their services, as it's still a job as much as anything else is I guess.
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#6New Post! Oct 21, 2009 @ 01:29:29
@sister_of_mercy Said

Do the Jesuits count?

The lecturers at the university I'm hoping to go to are Jesuits, so teach there for free, as it's a part of their faith. Does this count as living off of the money of others?

Just wondering.

If so then in that case I don't see anything wrong with it, and I think those whose life's work is the church and who are there every day as high established members of the clergy should be paid for their services, as it's still a job as much as anything else is I guess.

I just know of two people who love Jesuit wine.

but still...
preaching faith / religion / what have you in return for money just doesn't seem right to me.
Thranduil On August 31, 2013

QUINCY, Kentucky
#7New Post! Oct 22, 2009 @ 21:30:36
Look at the televangelists, Joyce Meyer, and that Hagee guy, those idiots probably make a 6 figure salary per year!!
To all the viewers at home!!
Do you want me to pray for you!!
Just give the operator standing by, your credit card number!!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs