The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Business & Money

Making Money and then Giving It Away.....

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
justvr On February 20, 2006

, Wallis and Futuna
#1New Post! Dec 13, 2005 @ 01:55:55
Dame Anita Rodd***, founder of the Body Shop is giving away her fortune??.

https://www.smh.com.au/news/world/body-shop-booty-gifted/
2005/12/12/1134236004049.html

Dame Anita gives away Body Shop booty

By Christopher Hope in London

"Money does not mean anything to me" ? the Body Shop's Dame Anita Rodd***.?
Photo: Tamara Dean

DAME Anita Rodd***, the founder of the Body Shop and one of Britain's best-known
businesswomen, has decided to turn her back on the world of commerce and give away
her ?51 million ($120 million) fortune.

Dame Anita and her husband, Gordon, founded the 300-strong chain of shops in 1976.
Now the pair are its biggest shareholders, holding 18 per cent of the shares, worth ?100
million. However, she said she wanted to cash in her 20 million shares and give the
proceeds away.

She said: "I am going to start giving it away. I hope that before I die there will be a
financial foundation. All my wealth is in the shares. My intention is to give my money
away.

"I don't want to die rich. Money does not mean anything to me. The worst thing is greed -
the accumulation of money. I don't know why people who are extraordinarily wealthy are
not more generous."

Her sell-off has already begun. In February the Rodd***s sold 4 million Body Shop shares,
raising ?7.4 million. A large slug went to charity, ?1 million to help Amnesty International
pay for the completion of its ?12 million human rights action centre in London, and a
further ?500,000 to back some of Greenpeace's charitable works.

Since she stood down from a full-time role in 2002, the retail chain's fortunes have
blossomed. The company was better off without her in a hands-on role, she admitted. "I'm
getting more radical. If I was running the Body Shop I would have been a problem because
of our stance against the Iraqi war. It would have caused mayhem in the States."

The new management team "is much better because they have terrific relations with the
City", she said. The new products are "a million times better", noting that "20 of the best-
selling products are the old ones".

One of Dame Anita's regrets is floating the Body Shop on the London stockmarket. "The
mistake was going public. You are always beholden to one point of view - the financial
bottom line." After losing $800,000 investing in two ventures in North America - a hemp
farm and a free newspaper business - she has decided to turn her back on business for
good.

"Business does not interest me any more," she said. "I was a one-song person. What saved
me was that I never went to business school and I don't know who Milton Friedman is. I
was a teacher and researcher, and I knew how to tell a story."

Dame Anita is now a Body Shop consultant for 80 days a year.

Another big regret, she said, was not getting rivals to trade directly with the developing
world. "Where I failed miserably was not persuading other companies like Avon and Procter
& Gamble to do it. Some 15,000 families in places like Peru and Brazil are supported by
the Body Shop."

However, she added: "We are not allowed into mainland China. They have banned us. They
said that you have to test your products on animals."

A Body Shop spokesman added: "We are currently in discussion with the Chinese
authorities to ascertain whether we can register our products either on the basis of our
sound record of consumer safety around the world or through alternative non-animal
tests."
wafflegrimes On January 09, 2006

, Canada
#2New Post! Dec 13, 2005 @ 02:26:42
she is crazy
clint48 On January 12, 2006

Timberlake, North Carolina
#3New Post! Dec 13, 2005 @ 03:27:41
I doubt she is crazy enough to give it all away.

Clint
kebab_boy On April 05, 2011

Bristol, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Dec 24, 2005 @ 23:23:39
That's very good of her giving it away to charity. She must be a strong person to part with all that money.

My question is though, what will she live on now though, if that's all her fortune? Surely she'll keep some.
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Dec 24, 2005 @ 23:30:24
I have a lot of respect for her. The accumulation of wealth beyond that which you need to live comfortably is pretty greedy all said and done.

That's not to say that I don't think that those that work hard deserve it. It's their perogative how to spend the money. But while there are people in need, the right thing to do is support them with any excess cash you have.
rodneyewalt On December 28, 2005

Kemp, Texas
#7New Post! Dec 27, 2005 @ 13:41:31
I think that's what we are really here for, to make a differance in the lives of others. Of cource, one must help themselves in order to be able to help others. I have found an amazing way to actually give money away,($50 at a time)and create residual income for myself wereby I am then in a better position to make a differance in the lives of others.
If anyone is curious, contact me. It is so cool it's hard to believe.
phonefactory On February 02, 2006

, Philippines
#8New Post! Jan 10, 2006 @ 07:33:40
why dont she give the money to us, or either way since im a buyer of body shop's product, why dont she give it for free... GoOD iDea!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs