The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

MainStream..

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
unspokenwords On October 16, 2019

#1New Post! Oct 03, 2005 @ 06:10:33
Ok..everything that's popular such as clothes and music and what not..do you think most of the people follow everyone else because it's what is "in" at that moment in time or do you think most of the people just happen to like the same type of things...*I Was curious on everyone's view because I always noticed in school people wearing something or they started to listen too different type of music because it was popular and you would be known as an outcast if you didn't..but I don't understand why some people really care..and don't do what they please*
thegorillas On November 10, 2006

Deleted

United States
#2New Post! Oct 03, 2005 @ 06:14:15
Yeah I think it is our nature to want to follow the crowd or not be alone so we join whatever group and just take up what they do. I don't know though. I have followed the crowd on a few things. But whatever is in is the only clothes that you can buy so I am forced to wear what others are wearing. Well maybe not because I always wear levis and they don't change much and tshirts jeans and tshirt or shorts and tshirt. wear those everyday
pinksparklystars On October 08, 2015

Austin, Texas
#3New Post! Oct 03, 2005 @ 06:21:56
i think it has to with fitting in or being "cool"... when i was young (11-14) i always wanted the latest trend but somewhere in there i found myself and broke away from the following and now just wear what i like, my sister is bad about that she is always telling me that "everyone is wear that or has this" shes 13... but it all goes in with how people seem to praise celebs and i think that it is so over rated i mean they arnt any different them me why should i wear something just because they do. trends are annoying i hate it when people wear what i wear - in high school i would throw clothes to the bottom of the closet if i saw someone wearing it...
USA On May 25, 2020

Chicago, Illinois
#4New Post! Oct 03, 2005 @ 06:37:58
It's always been monkey see, monkey do.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#5New Post! Oct 03, 2005 @ 19:34:44
I listen to a lot of "popular" music, but not because it's "in" but because I like it...

I think most people would consider z100 a mainstream radio station here in NY, and that's usually the first radio station I'll turn to. But if I had the choice of choosing between z100 and my John Mayer CDs I think you know which one I would choose

Actually, my listening to z100 actually started because I knew my brother was listening to it, and I wanted to be like him because I thought he was "cool." But then I listened to it and I thought to myself, "Wow this sucks!" so for the next 2-3 years I was cut off from all modern music. All I would listen to was the Beatles and other oldies my mom would listen to. But then in....hm...7th grade? I think that's it. In 7th grade I heard z100 again and I was like, "Hey this isn't half bad" and I still listen to it.

As for clothes, I shop at a lot of the "mainstream" stores, but I'm more of a teeshirt and jeans kinda girl. Plus I'm cheap I wear the clothes because I like the way they look and feel, not because everyone else is wearing them.

That being said, I think if I hated the clothes I wear and wore something much different I would feel awkward at school if I really stuck out that much. But among friends I think I'd be alright.
mary On June 06, 2006

PORTERVILLE, California
#6New Post! Oct 04, 2005 @ 01:46:59
wHEN you are young you are very impressionalbe and want to be "in" so you follow the crowd. Few young people are leaders and so they do what is "popular" at the moment. Their self esteems are formulated yet and then they see all the hype the magazines and t.v. show. So---FOLLOW THE LEADER. hOWEVER as a person begins to mature I think they think less about public consenses and form their own opinons on what they feel they want to wear, be, look like, hbits, jobs. I think our youngsters get a grip by the time they are in their 30.s. Mary
noshingnell On December 29, 2012

LaaLaa Land, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Oct 09, 2005 @ 23:22:35
I personally wear cloathes I like, watch things I like and listen to thing I like. Yes I am a bit of an outcast. But thats Ok because all my friends are outcasts to. We are all outcasts in our own little group. Kind of ironic in a way. I refuse to follow things that I don't like as it would mean betraying myself. My little group are all totally different to each other, and yes some of them do like the stuff that is "in" (I hate that word used in that context). But they like it because they always have not because society dictates it to them.

So many people are sheep and are afraid to express themselves individually for fear of the opinions of their peers. I think that it is a bit of a sorry state of affairs to be in. Without individuality the world would be such a boring place. We need varity in our lives to keep them interesting.
kyahbean On August 28, 2016

Williamstown, Massachusetts
#8New Post! Oct 09, 2005 @ 23:32:34
I never followed the crowd. I wore what I wanted to wear, because I wanted to. I usually hit up the trends a few years too late..like in 9th grade I was wearing 70's style bellbottoms and crazy patterned shirts... I went through a bunch of different stages with my style, none of which were ever really like anyone elses. I was a hippie, a skater chick, a preppie, one year I wore nothing but overalls and flannel shirts, I was all over the place. And for a long time I would purposely not wear something if everyone else was wearing it.

I think in general, people tend to hop on the bandwagon, especially in high school. Sometimes it's just easier to do that rather than deal with the pressure of the other kids making fun of you, or whatever may happen.

I never bothered, but then again I didn't have nor want very many friends that were from my high school.
becki7 On July 28, 2006

Australia
#9New Post! Oct 10, 2005 @ 07:57:53
Yeah I spose that as early as 11 through to 15 and just grew out of being into the latest fashion or music I just decided that a)I couldn't afford to keep up with the latest gear and b)I feel as long as you are clean respectable to your standards and happy then that's all that matters at the end of the day.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs