London Mayor

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 05, 2012 @ 22:11:11
Election coming up. Got a dithering annoying w**ker as favourite and a dithering annoying w**ker as second favourite, but that order depends entirely on what poll you read.

So who will win, who do you want to win etc?

I want Brian Paddock to win. He won't, it'll go to the Tory Toff or the Labour Loony.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#2New Post! Apr 05, 2012 @ 22:15:05
Dithering annoying w**ker as second favourite for the win!
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Apr 05, 2012 @ 22:15:11
As I could actually vote in this I should really be more bothered about it really. But I couldn't care less to be honest. I don't mind Ken but I don't like him enough to vote for him, think all the negative campaigning has put me right off both of them.

Don't think I'll be voting.

Interestingly though there's a vote in Bristol about whether we want to introduce the system they have in London for mayors. But nobody seems that fussed about it. Going to vote in that one though as I haven't voted before and I'd like my first vote to be cast at home.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#4New Post! Apr 05, 2012 @ 22:47:07
@sister_of_mercy Said

As I could actually vote in this I should really be more bothered about it really. But I couldn't care less to be honest. I don't mind Ken but I don't like him enough to vote for him, think all the negative campaigning has put me right off both of them.

There are few in the Labour party I despise more than him. How can you run on a platform of protesting against Tax Avoidance whilst avoiding masses upon masses of tax yourself? Tbh I half wish he would do something that would get him sacked so he could go the same way as Galloway.

No idea why Labour are putting him forward, apparently popularity matters more than integrity.

I've never voted anyone other than Labour in my life, but if I lived in London I think it would be the first time.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Apr 06, 2012 @ 08:55:16
I am voting for Boris. I am not conservative, not by a long shot. But basically he knows the job, London has a massive year coming up and he has put in the hard work so far.

Ken Livingstone is promising people "free money"

I remember the GLC and I am probably still paying for it too.

So politics aside here I have to vote for who will serve London the best right now.
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Apr 06, 2012 @ 09:20:50
There's something about Ken I don't like. I am voting for Boris, he gave us Boris bikes and Halved the percentage of the fare rise this year.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#7New Post! Apr 06, 2012 @ 19:20:16
@boobear Said

There's something about Ken I don't like. I am voting for Boris, he gave us Boris bikes and Halved the percentage of the fare rise this year.

Are people from Liverpool actually allowed to vote conservative?
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Apr 06, 2012 @ 19:25:19
@jmo Said

Are people from Liverpool actually allowed to vote conservative?

I'm not from Liverpool I just lived there for 4 years.

I never vote conservative EVER...usually, but this is my exception. I think he's actually made a good mayor, or as good as can be. There's just something about that Ken I don't trust...
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Apr 06, 2012 @ 19:32:14
I would quite like Boris to win, on the account that it doesn't actually affect me and he makes me laugh.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#10New Post! Apr 06, 2012 @ 19:43:39
On the news the other night the BBC correspondent called it the 'second most important job in British politics.

Now maybe I'm just biased because I don't live anywhere near London, but really? Second most important job in British politics?

Surely Chancellor of the Exchequer is more important than London Mayer no?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#11New Post! May 04, 2012 @ 21:00:28
Well it's starting to look like this vote doesn't matter as by the time they finish counting the votes it will be time for the next election.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! May 04, 2012 @ 21:17:39
I have to confess to having not paid much attention to the whole thing, but did remember to ask a couple of questions in view of the postal vote thread a while back.

I asked about no ID requirement.

Response: Shrugged shoulders.

I also queeried why an alternative vote system was being used, considering the country voted against it.

At that point, one Mr. Jefferson came to mind:

“If voting changed anything, they'd abolish it.”
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#13New Post! May 04, 2012 @ 21:19:15
@jmo Said

Election coming up. Got a dithering annoying w**ker as favourite and a dithering annoying w**ker as second favourite, but that order depends entirely on what poll you read.

So who will win, who do you want to win etc?

I want Brian Paddock to win. He won't, it'll go to the Tory Toff or the Labour Loony.

Lets face is Boris and Dave hate each other, so Dave would probably prefer Boris to lose.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#14New Post! May 04, 2012 @ 21:21:23
@davii Said

I have to confess to having not paid much attention to the whole thing, but did remember to ask a couple of questions in view of the postal vote thread a while back.

I asked about no ID requirement.

I also queeried why an alternative vote system was being used, considering the country voted against it.

At that point, one Mr. Jefferson came to mind:

“If voting changed anything, they'd abolish it.”

There is never ID requirement for elections in the mainland UK (quite right too imo) and AV and STV tend to be used in these sort of elections as with this you really are voting for a single person, not just one person who is part of a larger group and they are seen as opportunities to test different systems.

Normally used for party leadership elections as well.

We only voted against AV for general elections, not other votes.

Not sure why we voted against AV for general elections anyway. Would have been a better system.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! May 04, 2012 @ 21:33:19
@jmo Said

There is never ID requirement for elections in the mainland UK (quite right too imo) and AV and STV tend to be used in these sort of elections as with this you really are voting for a single person, not just one person who is part of a larger group and they are seen as opportunities to test different systems.

Normally used for party leadership elections as well.

We only voted against AV for general elections, not other votes.

Not sure why we voted against AV for general elections anyway. Would have been a better system.

So you prefer the idea that anyone can pitch up and vote, regardless of entitlement to do so?

There's differeing info on this though; The website giving info on it says that the alternative vote is not counted at any stage towards the overall result. BBC says the opposite.

If it is superfluous, then why put it in the mix in the first place etc.

I was under the impression that AV as a public voting system was what was in question. I hadn't realised that was solely for general elections.

It's not a better system. That was evident when we all discussed AV at the time of that vote.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs